WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: 215 gr .44 booilt -- 9.6 gr Titegroup in mag case for a plinker?

Boolit Master

215 gr .44 booilt -- 9.6 gr Titegroup in mag case for a plinker?

I have a few hundred .44 cal 215 gr PB boolits to dispose of, and will load them for some casual plinking.

I couldn't find loads in my books, but found a couple of Cowboy Action sites that listed 5.0 and 5.9 gr of Titegroup. I'm thinking of using the 5.9 gr load, with non magnum primers. I have no idea of the alloy in these boolits, but they are sized .4305, so I'm hoping this will be a leading free load.

Does this sound reasonable? Also, any issues from using such a small amount of powder in a .44 mag case?

Randy
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    I shot a lot of 200 grain wadcutters with 5.0 of TITEGROUP in 44 Special brass in my VAQUEROS.

Banned

i use 6.0 in my 45 colt cases with 200 and 255 gr boolits so the 5.9 in a 44 mag case sounds about right.
    i use 4.2 titegroup in a special case with a 240 lee swc and it's quite light compared to the 7.0 unique in them with the 429421.

the biggest thing you gotta worry about is a double charge, so look in those cases.

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    I load 6 grains Titegroup with a 240 SWC in my SRH 44 mag and they shoot like a 38 special in that huge gun.
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Boolit Master

Your title says 9.6grs, and I was ready to jump in with a yellow flag, but I see it must be a typo.

FWIW, I tried Titegroup and gave up on it. It's too fast to be flexible enough for me - think of it as Hodgdon's competitor to Alliant's Bullseye, so it's at the extreme fast end. Doesn't work well with heavier loads. I find using start to middle loads best with these powders, and I've never gotten good results with the max-end (though well within the books' recommendations) loads.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master
    Your title says 9.6grs, and I was ready to jump in with a yellow flag, but I see it must be a typo.
    Holy cow - where did I get 9.6 from? At least it's only a typo, not the 'real thing'

I load 6 grains Titegroup with a 240 SWC in my SRH 44 mag and they shoot like a 38 special in that huge gun.
    Mine's a SBH 44 Mag - big gun with a little boolit should be fun. My 14 yr old son cant stand too many of my full house loads with 310 gr boolits over 21.5 gr of 296.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

i shoot alot of saeco #420, 200 gr tc in my 44 mags its my go to bullet for 95 % of my shooting
    Ive shot this bullet out of 7, 44 mags with excellent accuracy . loaded in 44 mag cases with LPP
    5.5 gr of Tightgroup @ 800 fps
    7.0 gr of Tightgroup @ 980 fps
    13.0 gr of HS6--------@ 1,300 fps / mag primer

Boolit Master
    Try a starting load of SR-4759 with a standard primer. No chance of a double charge as far as I know. AND it is the most accurate load in my 44 special in a special case. I could see it doing just as well in a magnum case. This could actually turn into my new favorite powder for using up case capacity and not making a magnum load. In my 44 special testing, my accuracy came from the lower charges. 230 grain Jim custom wad cutter, WLP primer, winchester cases. 20 yard test range, 4 rounds into one ragged hole, then I boned it up and threw the last shot. (5 shot revolver). Outside to outside group was less than 3/4 inch for 4 shots.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

I settled on 10 grains of Unique for my light 44 (200gr RNFP) loads. Main reason is I load it on a progressive and a double charge of Unique is dang near impossible to not notice. I use a powder cop die, but you can never be too careful. I learned to reload on a single stage and I'll never fully trust the machine.

If you're loading in a single stage, then tightgroup should work fine.

Boolit Master

I use 9.3 grains of win 231. Very accurate.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.532807,-111.907175
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

9.3 231 was absolutely the most accurate load with the 429215 (215 grain SWC GC boolit).

Listed in #3 as the accuracy load also.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

I have a Lee 429-214 mold which drops these at 218 grains. Have used these in 44 Russian, 44 Special and 44 Magnum. As this is a plain base bullet I only load it to modest velocities.

Loads include 6 grains Unique in the 44 Russian and 8 grains in the 44 Magnum.
    Also have used 5 grains of Bullseye.

For heavier loads, I prefer gas check boolits.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizard333 View Post
    Obama loves America, like OJ loved Nicole.
    Do us a favor and take your incredible political insights down to the poltical section and share them with the other genuises.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by targetshootr View Post
    Do us a favor and take your incredible political insights down to the poltical section and share them with the other genuises.
    Oh, boy. Here we go.

Might use spell check there, hand.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

I admit to being a TG hater. I see no need for a powder that occupies so little case volumn & operates on such a steep pressure curve. It's only real value, it's low cost. Since powder is the cheapest part of any handgun reload, I never let powder cost determine what I choose. Your suggested load of 9.6gr is pushing very hard. Why? If you want higher vel w/ a lead bullet, move to a slower powder & spend the 1c/rd more. Unique would be a better choice or even 2400 for that high a vel.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I admit to being a TG hater. I see no need for a powder that occupies so little case volumn & operates on such a steep pressure curve. It's only real value, it's low cost. Since powder is the cheapest part of any handgun reload, I never let powder cost determine what I choose. Your suggested load of 9.6gr is pushing very hard. Why? If you want higher vel w/ a lead bullet, move to a slower powder & spend the 1c/rd more. Unique would be a better choice or even 2400 for that high a vel.
    Yep, large charges of fast powder, even with light boolits, have never been a great performer for me. BUT, the important thing, my good friend Fred, is that we've already established the OP had a typo in his title, and he has no intention of using the heavier charge listed.

I haven't checked the max load for TG, but that 9.6 might still be within published boundaries with this light of a bullet. That's why I earlier said yellow instead of red flag... Still, even though it might be safe, I found long ago certain powders (mostly the seedier-burning variety) don't like being pushed near or to their max. Technically, still safe, but mediocre accuracy and sharp blast equals not interesting to me...

I too am an admitted TG hater, but I think the more moderate loads suggested (which the OP appears most interested in) will serve him nicely to dispose of those excess boolits he's trying to rid himself of.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master
    Settled on 5.9 gr TiteGroup, for now... loaded 50 of them, and 50 with 8.0 gr Unique. Should be a bit different than my full house loads

(wish there was a way to edit the title of a thread - sorry for the confusion)
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!