Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: k31 thoughts

Mine is an outstanding rifle. The stock on mine is pristine with no evidence of roughness around the buttstock as others report. The soldiers name is located under the buttstock plate. I recall the quote often heard that a German General commented to a Swiss General he had twice as any troops at the Swiss did and what did the Swiss General think of that. His famous reply was, "Well I guess our soldiers will have to shoot twice!"

Take care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Super Moderator

..............I had my K31 out for it's 2nd or 3rd range day. The results and photo's of the rifle may be found here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=132233

It's a fine rifle and no doubt. However, my 3 favorite military surplus rifles still remain (in order), 1891 Argentine, M98/08 Brazilian, and the M96 Swede.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

For awhile, you could get them for under $100. Current prices seem to be $225-$275. I just had someone offer two of them for $175 each on another message board, and after several days, I bought them.

I bought a 1911 carbine about 1970, and was very impressed with it. I bought my first K31 in 2002, and a 1911 long rifle in 2008. One of my K31 rifles shoots better than all the others, and in 5 of the past 6 years I have taken it to the Civilian Marksmanship Program's Vintage Military match, and won a Gold medal each time. It is possible to accurize them, changing no parts. It is possible to load ammo that shoots better than GP11, but it will take awhile for you to find a load.

You'll learn a lot more about them at these sites:
    http://www.swissrifles.com/links.htm
    http://theswissriflesdotcommessageboard.yuku.com/

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I have (3) but ony (2) of them have had much range time by me. The first was a beech stocked from 1948 or so, and it has some wear in the throat, but otherwise excellent bore. This throat wear amounts to a tapered leade that allows me to seat boolits out further than the other (2). I've shot it a fair amount, and turkey and ram silhouettes at 385m and 500m are in serious trouble if I have a decent rest.

The other that I've shot extensively was purchased as a barreled action with mismatched barrel shortened to 20-1/2", no front sight. It appears to have been rebaarreled with a new barrel. It now has a modified Lyman receiver sight and ramp front. Its a joy to handle with its shorter length and lighter weight.

I've shot cast exclusively. The tapered Saeco #315 175gr has been my mainstay, but I've also shot the Saeco #301 200gr, Lyman 311041 clone, and Lee C309-150F. These latter boolits grouped very well, but would not feed. The 200gr 311644 seems to be the BEST fitting, off the shelf design. I've not shot it but expect the 311299 will be an excellent boolit.

I size .311", but may be a tad larger than ideal. .300"-.301" ogives will engrave, and I seat boolits to touch or engrave the first driving band 1/16" or less. There isn't a lot of camming action for the bolt, and I don't like to slam it.

Case capacity of PP cases and reformed WW 284W cases is identical to RP 30-06. A good, moderate load to try with 175gr boolits is 21-22gr AA5744. If you want to go faster try H322 in the 24-25gr range and work up. I've been shooting 30gr with excellent accuracy, but there seemed to be several charges in the 24-31gr range that produced similar accuracy with 200gr boolits.

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting. I have looked at a BUNCH of K31s but have never seen wood splices like
    that on one. Similar stuff on M28 Finn is standard, but never on a K31.

Learn something every day, if you pay attention.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    My K31 also has some interesting patches. There are four small rectangles of wood inlet into the fore part of the stock. I showed it to Pierre St. Marie, and he said he had never seen it before. He wondered if maybe it hadn't had some sort of experimental auxiliary sighting devise mounted on it at one time.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

The K31 is probably my favorite for use as a "utility rifle". It's powerful, accurate, reliable and fast to operate. I use mine in the "as issued" (but cleaned up and tweaked as needed) condition. The weight and balance are about ideal, considering the cartridge it uses. The sights are excellent and it shoulders nicely, with the sights aligned on target. It also uses regular 0.308 diameter "J"-bullets of which there is an enormous variety to suit your ever need.
    Thomas Paine:
    “To argue with a person who has denounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”

Boolit Mold
    K-31's are really great rifles, but before you know it, you can sink more into one that might better be spent on a newer, modern rifle. It just depends on what you're looking for. Novelty wise, K-31's can't be beat. But consider:
    rifle: $240
    s&k insta mount: 70
    weaver rings: 30
    hi-lux scout scope: 120
    redding 7.5X55 swiss dies (full, neck, & seat): 120
    couple hundred privi reloadable rounds: 150
    cheek rest: 20
    bayonet: 90
    Muzzle cap that you'll shoot off because you can't see it through the scope: $6
    total: $846
    *new* bolt action rifle & scope package in about any caliber you want: less than that

That said, I've no problem consistently shooting sub m.o.a. @ 100yds with reloads. Some of the recipes my K-31 likes to eat (all with the bullet 0.015" off the lands):

Hornady 150gr RN, 45.5gr Re-15, Rem 9 1/2 Mag primers: 0.71" @ 100 yds

Hornady 150gr RN, 41.8gr IMR-4064, Rem 9 1/2 Mag primers: 0.49" @ 100 yds

Sierra 150gr GK, 43.0gr IMR-3031, Rem 9 1/2 Mag primers: 0.60" @ 100 yds

Lee 150gr FN with gas check & Darr lube, 24.0gr IMR-4198, Rem 9 1/2 Mag primers: 1.03" @ 100 yds

With the scout scope set up, I'm more focused on deer hunting loads for now, and I'm pretty comfortable stretching it out to 200 yds.

Few things I've learned along the way:
    - Even with the iron sights buried all the way down, it still shoots several inches high at 100 yds with both GP-1100 & Privi ammo.
    - The S&K insta mount needs a bit of material removed on the bottom to better mate with the sight base. A file is fine for what needs to be removed.
    - Tried Lee 7.5 Swiss dies and snapped the corner off the reloading bench (desk) with the pressure required; Redding K-31 dies re-sized brass effortlessly.
    - Neck sizing consistently reduced group size 0.2" over full length resizing.
    - Annealing cases every 4 or 5 reloads definitely increases brass life span.
    - .284 brass easily converts to 7.5x55; just run it thru the full length resize die
    Last edited by hgonc2; 11-29-2011 at 11:50 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

JiminPhx milled the top of my S&K scout sight base to lower the scope some. This helped me keep my cheek on the stock better, but today I placed an order with a guy here that makes stocks.
    I'm getting a walnut stock with monte carlo cheekpiece, a pistol grip, and a 1 3/4" wide flat forend. Hope this helps the groups by eleminating me canting the rifle.

These are great rifles for sure. Far exceed the quality of similar to more cost new commercial rifles.

Boolit Grand Master

I use a strap on leather cheek piece to raise my cheek on my K31.

Buckshot - what is it about the 1891 Argie that attracts you so? The few that I have
    seen have been very rough, and don't seem particularly special, plus are an earlier
    design action - never seemed worth fiddling with - but I don't know much about them,
    either. You putting it ahead of the 08 Brazilian (I have a decent example which is a good
    shooter) and 96 Swede, again a pretty decent example that is an very good shooter,
    surprised me. Is it just that they are particularly accurate rifles?

I'd rank 1903 Springfield first, M28 (I think) Finn second and K31 third, with '96 Swede 4th as my
    most accurate stock milsurps.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

I bought my K31 for $100 two years ago. It has almost perfect bluing with a perfect bore but the beech stock has a split in the butt about 1.5" long. I have never done anything with the split and it does not seem grow. It also has the tag under the butt plate. These are great rifles as nicely made as any milsurp you will find and more accurate than most.

Ken

Smile Just scratched the itch

I had a beat up looking K31 a few years ago and foolishly sold it before I learned about reloading properly or casting my own boolits. With Swiss ammo it shot easily better than MOA.

I remedied that recently and picked up a nice one off Gunbroker (with bayonet) for $200. It has a stock repair, but the action, bolt, and bore are pristine. The bayonet itself is a piece of art. Much nicer than the Yugo or Turkish Mauser bayonets I have picked up.

Now I just have to load it up. I might try the NOE 247g .311 bullet in it just for kicks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swiss K31.jpg