WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Hulk Smash" form of Casting

Boolit Grand Master

Just a couple more casting sessions and it will be listed for sale on EBay, VINTAGE LEE MOLD.
    Charter Member #148

In Remebrance

I tried to comment, logged in and whatnot. I guess I just don't know how to comment on You Tube. What I had to say wasn't very nice anyway.

Boolit Master
    I posted some (not unkind, we don't really need that) hopefully helpful pointers, comment is awaiting moderation.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by P.K. View Post
    I think the caption stated .452. Still unlubed or sized....Courting danger at every turn.
    I know what his caption said but I didn't see a micrometer or caliper among his gear. That particular Lee mould is catalogued for ".45 Colt (LC) or .454 Casull" and mine (before beagling) dropped .4535 using 50/50 WW/Pb. But, I guess he could've been casting from straight lino...

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Bub
    There should have been an opening statement "WARNING VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED; What you are about to see is not suitable for those that have a regard for proper use of tools and equipment. Safety and common sense have been eliminated; any accidents that ensue will only serve to protect the innocent (from further acts of idiocy)"
    In the immortal words of Buggs Bunny "What a maroon!"
    The worst thing is that some unknowing kid (or adult) will come across this and attempt to use the "techniques". Like many, I couldn't watch much past the ball peen to the sprue plate scene.

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    I know what his caption said but I didn't see a micrometer or caliper among his gear. That particular Lee mould is catalogued for ".45 Colt (LC) or .454 Casull" and mine (before beagling) dropped .4535 using 50/50 WW/Pb. But, I guess he could've been casting from straight lino...

Bill
    Gotcha, did you see what he was dropping in the pot? For all we know those fish weights could have been 50% zinc too.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

I hope he doesn't eat off that gas grill anymore!

or have small children around while casting! he is going to get burned if he hasnt already and hope he doesn't take anyone with him.

Boolit Grand Master

A major problem with youtube is anybody can post a video and be an expert. My opinion is this feller hasn't read or seen anything about bullet casting, not even the instructions that came with the mold. Totally self-taught. He does use the hammer handle to open the sprue, though he does use the hammer face to loosen bullets. I've read it's common if you shoot "as cast" bullets in your guns, (and I do on occation), IF you know the barrel groove diameter, and the "disclaimer" about shooting bare, unlubed bullets "...you'll have to clean the barrel more if you don't use lube", or sumpin like that, is true. I'd expect a LOT of leading from his reloads...
    Last edited by mdi; 11-18-2011 at 12:57 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned

made it about 15 seconds.
    didn't care he was hitting the mold.
    but the lead he was wasting.
    man i can see shoestring and all but, dude if you can post a video you can find this place.

Anybody who takes a ball peen hammer to one of my mould blocks is going to have the hot bullets dumped into his shorts!
    Glen

Boolit Master

Send the Video to LEE so that when this idiot bitches about their poor quality they will have an appropriate response. GFYS
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

The internet can be a dangerous place to get information.

Boolit Master

The strange thing is he knows enough NOT to open the sprue plate by hitting it with the hammer head, but then goes on to hit the sprue plate & blocks with the hammer head to get the boolits to drop from the mould (and to get the lead off the sprue plate). Personally I think this is a person with more money than brains. I mean he has all the expensive toys (the powder dispenser, case prep machine) but if you look you can see they're all new, not a speck of dust on them. And how much brains does it take to know that you have to lube boolits? I mean they have lube grooves in them, what does he think they're for? He says in the video that if you're not going to use lube that you have to clean the gun more often, what like every 10 shots? I'm really surprised that he didn't have a Lyman or RCBS bottom pour pot, he seems to have no problem spending money! Well, there's always hope he might come around, maybe find this site by accident, and learn the error of his ways. What's scary is that he thinks he knows what he's doing, otherwise he wouldn't be making a video of it!
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    You bet this guy will show up and complain about the 'junky Lee molds' that wore out after a few hundred bullets.

On the one hand, he's using a fairly expensive Chargemaster scale/powder dispenser unit...on the other hand he's not lubing or sizing the bullets...not even tumble lubing..>!
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Boolit Master

Just did a little bit more looking, and he made another video after this one, for casting and loading the 303, and in this video he seems to have learned a few things. He uses a Lyman mould, and while he still has the same hammer, he doesn't seem to use it on the mould (at least not in the video), and he tumble lubes & sizes the boolits. He's still using an alloy made up of old fishing weights, but he seems to have learned a few things (I read the comments, and a few people told him not to hit the mould!) Here's his 303 video:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ColdFusi.../1/TpS-YQoysrg

Although on the 45 video when somebody suggested he get a brass hammer to hit the mould, instead of the hammer he was using, his comment was that the Lee mould is cheap, and that a brass hammer would cost more than the mould! But it looks like maybe there's hope for this guy after all.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Buddy
    I hope that he has bookmarked a few first aid vids. He's gonna smash or burn something.

Boolit Master

Watch for the mold on Ebay.....
    as for lube - that could be a very light layer of Liquid Alox...

Boolit Grand Master

Quite probably the worst caster I have ever seen. It is interesting however that he has good reloading equipment. Needs to learn to read and spend some time with an experianced caster. And yes, most likely it will turn up on ebay listed as vintage.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

the guy need some help. A HiPoint with a tac light !
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Grand Master

I know what his caption said but I didn't see a micrometer or caliper among his gear.
    Really? that surprises me, cause he had everything else on his table, including pipe fittings.
    Seriously fellas, lighten up a little! Its a 45acp not a high powered load, and it is so forgiving, that I wouldn't be surprised if the guy did manage to shoot un-lubed boolits in it, especially if they were over-sized. After all, he wasnt shooting them through a Kimber, it was a Low-point ***! He// the thing probably shot better with a leaded barrel!
    I know he was about as bass-akward as they come but look at the positive facts:
    He was managing to keep a controlled temperature on his pot.
    He was making boolits without any describable wrinkles.............................

He knows how to use a ball peen hammer.
    He knows how to save money on reloading trays
    He knows how to spend the he// out of money on a powder scale.
    He didn't use the ballpeen hammer on his powder scale, no matter how tempting it was.
    When the brass got stuck in the press, he hesitated, and started to reach for his favorite hammer, but he resisted and I have to give him credit for that.
    He knows how to ream the living ****e out of some brass by golly!
    He knows about the age old trick that you can, in a pinch, use a reloading press instead of a ballpeen hammer, to seat your boolits, and he seems to have mastered that technique fairly well. Kudos man!
    Seriously, we should not make fun of a guy who likes a properly blended, radiused, and ergonomic profile on his aluminum molds.
    I'm sorry, I started to defend the poor guy but now I need a tissue, I'm seriously laughing that hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A HiPoint with a tac light !
    "In case he can't find his hammer in the dark."
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.