RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: 405 grn cast in a 45-70

Boolit Mold

405 grn cast in a 45-70

i am looking for a good load for a marlin 95 45-70 with 405grn cast using re7 or imr 4064 my rifle is a micro groove anysugestions would be welcome thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Start with 36 gr RL7 with a 1 gr dacron filler. Work up in 1 gr increments until accuracy goes south or you don't like the recoil. Somewhere between 1500 - 1600 fps for the accuracy to go south given a reasonably hard cast bullet.

Larry Gibson

All the 4064 you can get into the case. Around 1800 fps and works great in my Marlin 1895. (RCBS 405 boolit)

Can't overload the 45-70 with 4064, so it is a safe way to go. Be careful with the RE-7, you can overload it with that. You can get some impressive power with it though!

Yeah, and if you don't use the dacron atop RL7 in lighter loads you're gonna have a real loud boom, and wonder what the heck happened. Detoantion instead of powder ignition. Not a fun thing. RL7, or as us oldtimers call it, Rx7, has changed a few years ago and it is hotter than it once was too. Consult current loading dat from the manuals too. I've noted some difference in data from old compared to new data in the up to date manuals.

As Larry was saying, 36 gr. with a dacron wad in place is a fantastic starting point. In fact it is real close to what I use for my hunting loads with a 405HB. Easy on the shoulder but a killer on hogs.

Have fun and be safe!

Wade

Boolit Buddy
    Quite by accident I thought I'd try something different in my '95, 45/70. Quite honestly after I did I never looked back. A couple of Bison and a Black Bear can attest to the effectivness.
    The bullet is a LBT LFNgc 400gr. cast with straight Wheel weights and waterdropped.
    The powder is Varget, quite a surprise with accuracy and velocity. No filler is needed either, by the way.
    IMO, 1800+fps in a "72 vintage Marlin '95 without a pad is really all the fun you will ever need or want.
    good luck and good shoot'n,
    CRASH*&
    "An art, to supply a truthful response to someones nagging, busy bodied question(s) such that the person feels as though their question has been answered, but yet, do not understand the answer and are unable to provide a follow up question to gain clarification for fear of appearing to be a dumb ***, when basically having to repeat the question

"LIBERALS ARE ALOT LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS."

my load is a bit lighter but still in the rite range for any rifle you ever want to run it in. its as follows;

rem case at 2.086 length.
    primed with cci 200 lr primer
    load 34 grains rl-7.
    load enough corn meal to kiss the bottom of the boolit without compression.
    crimp boolit for a 2.550 coal or shorter for the lever action tube mag.

this load is about as close to factory loads its not funny...somewhere around 13 to 14 hundred fps depending on barrel length. i know the old bp loads killed everything they came in contact with and this load nearly duplicates that load in the rl-7 realm.

next as has and will be mentioned...slug yer barrel for the rite on diameter your rifle wants to shoot...size your boolits to .001 to .002 larger then your groove dia and this load should be accurate and easy on shooter and rifle but still a killer on the animules hunted with it.