Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New place to hit a hog!

Boolit Master

I'm interested too. PM sent

I have gotten permission in the spring to sell a couple 3 day hunts. It does not have to be on a weekend. -X101airborne

I am interested. A partner of mine in Albuquerque could be interested as well. My calender is open. Please advise dates.
    Dan

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the invite guys! Hope you can put it together!!

Not much of a traveler here, and with a son getting married right after CHRISTmas in AZ and the strong possibility of being called on to help clear some land for the son's company in up-state NY next summer, expect my quota of travel will be badly strained if not over spent.

AS said hope you can the hunt together and PLEASE keep the rest of us in mind with stories and photographs.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Spine shot has always dropped them in their tracks.

In past years I hit several in the spine with a cedar shaft from my recurve bow. They drop right where they stand. There was a study close to my place that stated that when hit in the spine the hog's central nervous system simply shuts down. I believe it.

Now don't go throwing rocks at me now.....but at my work (several sq. mi. of woods/pasture/lake, etc.,,, Myself, and another officer, are tasked with simply killing hogs and leaving them to rot. Not my idea, I assure you, but the manager wants it that way. All my arguements fell on deaf ears as to gutting and hauling them off to eat. He wants the hogs to see their dead in hope that they will move on.....yeah, right.....So, Fri, Sat, and Sun mornings we shoot hogs as they appear while on patrol of the property. Been doing this for two years now and the heards are still overrunning the place.

Now before you guys get all excited, the management will not allow anyone outside the two of us to kill the hogs. Company rules, manager's said so kinda stuff. Believe me I tried to get a few of my buds in on this, but I was shot down before I could finish the sentence!

But as this thread is proving the neck and near headshot as a quick kill location to hit, that adds to what the "Experts" in my area have advised. The whole critter gets shortcircuted when hit in or near the spine.

x101airborne, well done sir in getting some of our brother shooters a spot to hunt hogs. Hooah! (H Co., 75th Rangers, here , '68-'74 )

Good Hunting Guys!!

Wade

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds very interesting
    keep me in mind
    I would love to do that sort of thing
    I am a solo hunter
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    hey guys, PM's sent. had a rainstorm this morning (finally), so if anyone did not get their pm, let me know. I am kinda leaning toward 250.00 for three days unlimited hunting and lodging. If we kill a hog right away, then food will be nearly free. Bring your own drinks. If we have to buy stuff, that may be an added cost, but it should be minimal. like I said, the house is fully furnished including washer and dryer, so no need to worry over a lot of details.

No set dates. This will probably run part of Feb, March, and April. Those are our cooler months. Like I said, if anyone has never been on a long distance hunt, or never seen a hog, or lives (where lucky enough) to not have hogs, or has junior shooters in need of some less critical real world practice, all are welcome. You keep all the meat. I have so much and have given away so many, I have run out of places to put em and nearly HAVE to let em lay. Wich really does not set well for me, but I dont have any other choice. There are just too many.

This is going to be REAL laid back hunting. More of a vacation with guns. There is a range and we can inpromptu shoot out to 1000 yards if desired. The only thing, is shooting pigs with a 50 BMG has been done on the property, but this is a cattle ranch so extra careful where the boolits go. The last thing i want to hear is my fathers opinion of us skinning and gutting his prize white brahma heifer. Short of that, I am pretty much cool with whatever. Want to call coyotes? No problem. Want to sleep in? No problem.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 Ranger View Post
    In past years I hit several in the spine with a cedar shaft from my recurve bow. They drop right where they stand. There was a study close to my place that stated that when hit in the spine the hog's central nervous system simply shuts down. I believe it.

Now don't go throwing rocks at me now.....but at my work (several sq. mi. of woods/pasture/lake, etc.,,, Myself, and another officer, are tasked with simply killing hogs and leaving them to rot. Not my idea, I assure you, but the manager wants it that way. All my arguements fell on deaf ears as to gutting and hauling them off to eat. He wants the hogs to see their dead in hope that they will move on.....yeah, right.....So, Fri, Sat, and Sun mornings we shoot hogs as they appear while on patrol of the property. Been doing this for two years now and the heards are still overrunning the place.

Now before you guys get all excited, the management will not allow anyone outside the two of us to kill the hogs. Company rules, manager's said so kinda stuff. Believe me I tried to get a few of my buds in on this, but I was shot down before I could finish the sentence!

But as this thread is proving the neck and near headshot as a quick kill location to hit, that adds to what the "Experts" in my area have advised. The whole critter gets shortcircuted when hit in or near the spine.

x101airborne, well done sir in getting some of our brother shooters a spot to hunt hogs. Hooah! (H Co., 75th Rangers, here , '68-'74 )

Good Hunting Guys!!

Wade
    Interesting, I've just come back from a hog hunt and I hit one in the back running away from me. I was using a 7mm 120gr speer (3100fps) The bullet hit mid back and sevard the spine in two (2"gap) it was still alive and standing on it's front legs. They are tuff little buggers.
    Lead foot;

Boolit Master
    Yeah, tough is an understatement. Buddy of mine shot a hog on his place with me present because he had them in such large numbers that if a piglet squealed, the sows would go WILD on him. He had been treed several times. He was shooting a 270 win and I had a short shotgun with 3" buckshot. He punched an unusually large boar 5 times with his rifle, and the hog was still running around the bush he was standing by. That boar took two rounds of 12 gauge to put him down. Fearing the 270 bullets were not penetrating, we cut open that boar's chest. Everything was the consistency of lumpy glue with bone added in. Why that one was so hard to kill, I will never understand, and on the other hand, I have killed many with the 22 lr.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    I got one in the yard the other evening. The shot was center of the neck right behind the skull at about 20ft distance. He was DRT, I was using an AR for fast follow up shots as I was sitting on the ground under the low branches of an Oak. I knew I could not get up and climb the tree fast enough shooting at such close range so the need for fast shots in case they came my way.

Boolit Master

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by LIMPINGJ View Post
    I got one in the yard the other evening. The shot was center of the neck right behind the skull at about 20ft distance. He was DRT, I was using an AR for fast follow up shots as I was sitting on the ground under the low branches of an Oak. I knew I could not get up and climb the tree fast enough shooting at such close range so the need for fast shots in case they came my way.
    Exactly. That is why I LOVE that shot. Havent had one yet stand for that kind of shot. Although true, I havent killed any over 350 this year yet so that will be another test for this theory. So far I really like it more than a head shot.

Boolit Master
    Behind the ear is great placement for almost all the critters most of us will face.

Took one of the last two buffalo from a now deceased friends herd down a couple weeks ago with that shot. DRT!!!!!!!!

Of course the 45/70 would have even got er done with a number of lessor hits.

However, don't know what happened, but the other cow took at least 4 - 5 hits from a .44 rifle to complete the task.

I saw some of the cartridges loaded into the rifle, and to my way of thinking the "J" boolits were not of the type with enough integrity to deal with something of that heavy of a bone structure.

I know that Lennie used that rifle to put the buffalo down for butchering, and had no problems. but I know he once showed me some "J" boolits with a much higher level of integrity.

"J" boolit quality or shot placement? Don't know.

Recall when working at a hazardious waste incinerator, that a large group of old sheep needed to be put down for a test run.

They were put down by a fellow from the meat lab, using a bolt gun.

Didn't get er done on one critter, so the second time a year or so later, I made up my mind to go prepaired.

Same thing happened, after repeated hits with the bolt gun, it was clear the critter had not died. One hit, behind the ear with a .22 from my Mark II Ruger and the critter relaxed and was gone.

All the bolt gun hits were a center of forehead placement, a placement that normally is effective.

However, behind the ear is just about a sure thing.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Mold
    The definitive ”hog gun”
    http://bighornarmory.com/products/carbine.php

....here piggy, piggy!
    Rick Patton
    Cody, Wyoming
    NRA Life Member
    Shoot everything from .22 to 50-90!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisonslinger View Post
    The definitive ”hog gun”
    http://bighornarmory.com/products/carbine.php

....here piggy, piggy!

yeah, I will have to go with the 50 beowulf. The 500 levergun would be cooler, but the price is just too much. Other than the 50 bmg I bought used, I dont think I have ever spent two grand for a weapon. Im too cheap!!

I like the armpit shot. I have never had one go more than 20yds shot with my Marlin 444 with the Mihec 320gr FP with a healthy dose of H335 at about 1800fps. Here are a few taken with that shot placement.