RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who/why--100 yards?

Silly guys, everyone knows a rod is for fishing!
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    One Sunday morning before church the wife was getting the roast ready for lunch before they left. Her parents were visiting that weekend and her mom offered to help in the kitchen. The wife got the beef roast out of the fridge, set it on the cutting board and cut both ends off, threw them in the garbage, set it in a large pan, then covered it with foil. Her mom looked at her a little funny and said, "Dear, why did you cut the ends off of the roast and throw them away?" She replied, "Because that's how I saw you get a roast ready for the oven." "Oh honey, we couldn't afford a bigger pan, so I cut the ends off to make it fit in the pan we had!"

We do things because the people before us did them. Look at some of Ben's posts - he groups at 80 yds, what's wrong with him? I think that's the available distance of his range...
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Willyp View Post
    I often have wondered who decided a weapon should be tested at 100 yards for accuracy??? Any one know why?
    I had time to do some wondering,we were surround by flood waters for a couple of days! I am sure glad we live on a hill!
    Is there something else you'd prefer?
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Buddy
    At some point it was probably the MPBR (maximum point blank range) of all rifles, on average... the range at which common cartridges/loadings had a minimum of drop/rise.

personally, its as far as i can see an average game animal(deer/elk/moose) clearly enough to identify it, and safely hit it with open sights/no binos etc... might have something to do with that originally too.

G.
    "Brass?" "Check." "Lead?" "Check." "Powder? ""Check." "Primers?" "Check." "Lube? ""Check." "Good.... Gun? ......... Gun?......." "ummm.... I'm soposed to have a gun?"

Boolit Master

Okay, my $.02 worth......

I guess that we can come up with almost anything to provide an answer here regarding the 100 yard standard.

I was told by several "experts" (lol!) many years ago that the rifle manufacturers were the ones who set up the "standard" of 100 yards. They were faced with testing their rifles with the applicable ammunition for both accuracy and advertising purposes.

Allegedly, on a golf course somewhere in Massachusetts, several manufacturers got together and since they were used to playing golf; set the standard of "100 yards".

Not real sure I believe this, yet, I've heard worse stories on various topics that happened to be fact, not fiction.

BTW, the ammo manufacturers new "standard" for centerfire cartridges was established at a "4" group at 100 yards in any rifle of that caliber. If it shot into this standard, it was released as acceptable for hunting.

Just my $.02 worth.

HV

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
    now should we get into mils ? and the two version in common usage ?
    Haven't used mils since I was in an Artillery unit. Shooting on a different order of magnitude (M-110 Howitzer).

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I'm guessing convenience and practicality. It's far enough to determine if a rifle or shooter is going to be accurate but not too far to walk & post targets. Some folks can even see boolit holes @ 100 yds.
    my vote is with this post , thats why i like the 100 yard targets

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
    now should we get into mils ? and the two version in common usage ?
    Lets get into mils, and what is the two version?

Links at the end:

A "mil" is supposed to be a "Miliradian" and being that a radian is an expresion of angular measurement that is derived by using a formula containing Pi.... an approximation has to be used.
    Further when artilery adopted miliradians they used an approximation of a radian, and depending on who your are depends on which aproximation you use, it boils down to how many mils are in one full circle.

A NATO circle has 6400 IE: 1 mil = 1/6400
    a mathematicians circle has 6283
    Formerlly in Russia and Finland 6000
    and Sweden with 6300

Finland and Sweden have either recently or will soon change to the NATO standard.

realize that in theory a "mil" is no more accurate than the MOA ( as applied by shooters) they are about close approximations, in practice it is usually good enough

and a few quick links to help illistrate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radian
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_mil

I have not had to think about that since I was involved with 3d terrestrial mapping. ( GIS)

Boolit Bub
    My missus tells me that a rod is what you hang curtains from.

Boolit Bub
    I cannot speak for everyone however I am an avid gun hunter from WV. Our terrain is mainly rolling hills or mountains as some call them (nothing compared to Rockies). But none the less I have always chosen to sight my rifles in at 100yds due to the fact that with the given bullet trajectory of the 30.06 (which is what I use) I will be able to put a kill shot on a deer from 0-300 yds. Now in terms of MOA as several others mentioned previously, I know that your accuracy at 100ys is targeted towards 1 inch. Iapologize if this sounds elementary and repetitive but when firing 3 shots all 3 shots should be within that 1 inch area. Thats just how I have always come to look at it and where I kind of set the bar/ target range for myself.
    1Peter 2:11

Boolit Master
    One "mil" rounded is 3.600 inches at 100 yards. Thats it. It is simple to figure. No dilly dallying around.
    This is used in trajectory formulations etc. along with inches such as in the JBM trajectory program.
    No need to complicate matters.

I don't know why 100 for rifles but my guess would be it's the farthest distance most would compete with 22LR and the shortest with highpower rifles on a range and it's a nice round number and a good brisk walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    I don't know why or who, but I know that Ned Roberts and a lot of the old timers used rods. Our roads are based on rods IIRC. A 2 lane road is supposed to be (used to be) 1 rod wide. Ya know, for that matter, a foot was the measurement of some long dead Kings foot. Why use some guys foot for a distance? Who knows? A grain was the weight of one grain of wheat from an ancient type of wheat the probably isn't even grown anymore. IIRC railroad track width is based on the distance between Roman Empire wagon wheels. It's what we're used to, don't over think it.

If you really want to mess with your head, consider that we apply value, sometimes immense value, to slip of paper that isn't even big enough to wipe your butt with and has that much real value. Why do we consider gold or diamonds valuable? Can't eat them, they're hard to find, limited use. If you start thinking about the why of things, sometimes you end up questioning the why of EVERYTHING and it messes your whole day up. BTDT.
    It's my understanding that gold was considered valuable from ancient times due to it's appearance, ease of workability, and corrosion resistance.
    As far as diamonds go, in my opinion they are the greatest snow job of modern times. They're not rare by any means, but rather the cartel that owns 75% of the worlds diamond mines releases a very limited amount annually, creating artificial demand. When you combine that with the fact that women love them for their appearance and men as a rule are always eager to please women, you get ridiculously inflated values.
    GH1

Boolit Grand Master
    Why 100 yards? Why not? It seems to be a common range distance. I am sure that at some point someone decided that was a good distance for some sort of competition but who knows why. I suppose I could ask this- does it matter why?

Boolit Mold
    Back when we were setting this thing up, I told them that was as far as I was gong to walk to set up my target and it's been that wayever since.

Gene

Because it is half way to the chickens??

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    FROM THIS SITE.

Surveying Measurements
    1 yard = 3 ft = 0.9144 meter
    1 rod, perch, or pole = 25 links = 16.5 ft
    4 rods = 1 chain
    1 chain = 4 rods = 66 ft = 100 links
    10 chains = 1 furlong
    1 link = 1/100 of surveyor's chain = 7.92 inches
    25 links = 1 rod = 16.5 ft
    100 links = 1 chain = 66 ft
    1 furlong = 10 chains = 1/8 mile = 220 yards = 660 ft = 201.168 meters
    8 furlongs = 1 mile
    1 mile = 80 chains = 320 rods = 1,760 yards = 5,280 ft = 1,609.344 meters
    league = 3 statute miles = 4,828.032 meters

You forgot varas.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    Most folks my age don't want to walk much farther than that packing anything as heavy as a staple gun.
    The distance seems to make sense for rifles like the 44-40 or 38-40.
    As a boy I was most impressed by the sound of it. Older hunters said "A hun'ert yards." Now don't that sound impressive.
    And to add to the nonsense of measurements - An acre is a rod wide and a half mile long. Now who thunk that one up?