Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: Convert Enfield Revolver to SA?

Boolit Master

Convert Enfield Revolver to SA?

Does anyone know if it is possible to get the parts to do this or how difficult it is. I have the DAO version (the common one).

Moderator Emeritus

The answer is that it is an easy parts swap to make it SA/DA. The bad news is the parts to do it are near unobtainable as there were fewer DA/SA models produced to begin with and many of those were converted to DAO during the war or shortly after by unit armorers.

Best bet would be to find a Webley Police model and leave that one as is.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    Talk about your coincidences!! …….It was just last week that I did a rather extensive on-line search in an effort to find a SA/DA hammer and trigger for a 38/200 Enfield.

……….I struck out miserably!

Maybe some willing soul who actually owns one of the “single action capable” Enfields will be kind enough to take some nice, clear high-res pictures of their hammer and trigger: …..So that those of us who like to tinker can see what it is we need to create.

Kent
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by klcarroll View Post
    Maybe some willing soul who actually owns one of the “single action capable” Enfields will be kind enough to take some nice, clear high-res pictures of their hammer and trigger: …..So that those of us who like to tinker can see what it is we need to create.

Kent
    Yes, that sure would be nice. At least to see how practical it would be.

Boolit Master
    I have one of the DA revolvers that a previous owner welded a spur onto the hammer and now it works both DA and SA. The weld was rather poorly done and it started to crack so a buddy welded it back on with a tig welder and now it is solid and works great. Of course it does not looke like it would with a reall DA/SA hammer but I only paid $100 for it and it shoots good.

Moderator Emeritus

Nick - can you post of photo of the hammer and trigger so these guys have an idea of what mods would have to occur?
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Bub
    It seems like alot of work to mess up a good military issue pistol. As a collector, I'm in favor of leaving them in as-issued condition. There are enough old Webley, Colt and S&W .38's around for thumb cocked plinking.

In case you find an extra sa/da hammer, switching parts is not as easy as it appears (as I found out first hand). The timing of the Enfield revolver can be tricky. As noted by Skennerton in his Enfield Revolver book. It's do-able by the right gunsmith but it's not always an easy parts switch.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle45Auto View Post
    It seems like alot of work to mess up a good military issue pistol. As a collector, I'm in favor of leaving them in as-issued condition. There are enough old Webley, Colt and S&W .38's around for thumb cocked plinking.

In case you find an extra sa/da hammer, switching parts is not as easy as it appears (as I found out first hand). The timing of the Enfield revolver can be tricky. As noted by Skennerton in his Enfield Revolver book. It's do-able by the right gunsmith but it's not always an easy parts switch.
    In the case of collector grade guns, I would agree with you. My pistol is mechanically very sound, but the finish is mostly gone and it really has no collector value anymore and this is by no means a rare piece. I bought it to shoot and enjoy, and being able to cock it would be nice.

Boolit Master
    I do not know how to post pictures and I am not a photographer but as near as I can tell all they did was weld a spur shapred piece of 1/8" flat bare to the back of the hammer. I do not know if they also cut a sear notch in the hammer or not. Try cocking your hammer manually and see if it locks in the sear notch or not. If it does all you need to do is have a spur welded to the back of the hammer.