Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: thanks to everyone

Banned

thanks to everyone

I bought a set of BT sinper dies and they shave lead and produced misaligned bullets, it was some of the first ones. Since then I didn't mention names but I was contacted by the moderator and sent him pictures of the junk . after over 30 yrs of doing this I had to prove my innocence to him also.
    So I will say thank you to all of the people and just to tell everyone there are some very smart people when it comes to swaging, machinest, but also there are those who just talk.
    Weed out the good and obtain all you can from those special people they DO know what they are doing and talking about
    The 22 rimfire is nothing new Herters made dies in the early 70's to use in the 22 an 243 center fire
    Those ugly looking bullets still kill today

there are other sites with informed swagers and I will look into them It was fun for awhile
    Last edited by gjb; 08-20-2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master
    Not sure what you are getting at here?
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Master
    thanks everyone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I removed all of my posts,I guess after 35yrs of casting mold making and swaging no one cared so I guess I will leave to another site. Please tell me what people have to do to be welcomed here so I can pass it along if someone wants to post here.

Don't worry, he did the same thing in 2009.
    Was only on the site for 4 days and then left.

He was back for a while with some interesting and informational post.

Hope he finds a place - form - where he will fit in.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

In Remembrance

The ONLY way the bullets shave is IF you don't bell mouth the cases before stuffing the lead bullets into the case. Two ways to do that:
    1) Use your normal second die (case expander) from your reloading sets (if 9mm to .40 BT set, then use your 9mm expander die) to bell mouth the case.
    2) Use the mandrel that Brian can supply for the purpose.

I started off with the first option, and then bought Brian's Universal Notching tool, with the mandrels for both .40 and 44 mag. The mandrel version works best because it does two things:
    A) Bell mouths the case and expands the body of the brass slightly
    B) After dropping in the cast core, you pump on the handle and the mandrel really seats the core firmly.

No shaved lead................ EVER!!!!

Then, when you run the assembly into the one step die, the fit is tight, and there is NO EARTHLY WAY the bullet could get malformed............

UNLESS......................

If you mash the bottom punch into the die (didn't align it properly, operator error), you will ruin the bottom punch. That would forever (until you get a new punch) cause the bottom of the bullet to take the angled shape of the mashed punch.

If that's what you did, it is no fault of Brian's work.

So, if you used the tooling correctly, you should have wonderful results.

If you ruined the bottom punch, and don't bell mouth the brass before seating cores....... well..... maybe you should stick to buying bullets rather than trying to make them.

I have made thousands of perfect bullets, both in .40 (from 9mm) and in 44 mag (from .40), and am thrilled with the tools. I'm buying Brian's .30 cal set and his 22 set as soon as he's ready..........

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Grand Master

I have both the 41 and 44 dies and love the results. .45 cal is on the way.
    BTs the man.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The guy was a whiner, that apparently didn't know how to operate the dies. BT did all he could to satisfy him, but still he slinks off into the night. I probably would to.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Sour grapes.

Boolit Master
    Well I cannot speak for everyone however I did go back and look at the threads posted when you first joined.

I am not sure the last time I have seen immediate gratification from a forum. As well as not sure why it is needed.

I would not say that I agree with BT all of the time. But then again I do not agree all the time with my kids either.

If it is to be a pity party however I am unsure that you will get much sympathy.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Man
    I've made 25,000+ 9mm to .40 S&W 187 grain boolits. The Mandrels and bottom punches are still in perfect shape even after all that abuse. The Notch Die still works perfectly...ofcourse it does...it was over designed for a task that doesn't really need much pressure.

I have shot about 5,000 of these so far and they are extremely accurate out to 100 yards with my S&W M&P .40. The trajectory is damn near flat at 100 yards....a little high at 50 yards...just like you would expect. The reaction of water jugs even at 50 yards is something for the eye to behold....shoot a jug with your AR-15, then your AR-10...then when everyone is talking about the differences in the two...pull out your pistol and blast a water jug with one of these boolits and you will hear: "*** was that?"....the end result is total devastation.

Brian does quality work, is great to do business with, and has an innovative mind and a strong work ethic....never met the guy...probably never will...but I will do business with him again.

Boolit Master
    I've got over 500 bullets made with his 45 two die set. Zero problems so far. Only made 500 so far because other projects had priority.

Next up, 275 grainers for the 450 bushmaster. Should be starting on them soon and I expect to have the same perfect results making those.

Ya gotta be smarter than the tool your using.........Just sayin........

Jailer, that would be the 10% rule. Ya gotta be 10% smarter than the tools your useing Jetwrench
    When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not sure what this is all about...
    I have had great success with the 38/357, the 429 and the 45 cal swage dies BT adapts from the CH stock.
    I have his universal notching die, and his new 257 tubing to jacket dies. The 308 tubing jacket dies are next on my list.

I also have been fortunate to pick up, used, some Corbin stuff in a couple different calibers.

And I have some older dies, some home-made, a set by Hemp, some Herters...
    For me, it has been an exercise of carefully taking my tools to the edge and back, trying to get the most out of them without breaking them.

They all have their place - and cost level. I have been learning, and have a LONG way to go before I can claim to be anything but a newbie. But it's all fun. If you disagree, or have another opinion, share it. If it has any lift, it'll fly.

Seems to me, if we talk and listen we will all learn, and the hobby grows.
    I tire though of the venom, the whining, and the "take my posts and go home" attitude.

BT, as well as a few others here on this forum, hold a place of respect on my growing list. I'd be happy to have a coffee with any of 'em.

Perhaps a new paradigm would be in order:
    It should not be necessary to prove others wrong in order to be right.

Bob

Boolit Master
    I nicked one of my punches slightly when first learning how to use the dies,
    operator error, smoothed it out and swaged on.
    Still makes great boolits.
    While not as exciting as a full magnum 44, the swaged 40s with a medium load
    will split a gallon water jug.
    I got into this style of swaging for cheap JHPs, but someday I'll get the notch die too!

"Don't use pliers for precision work, use Vice-Grips instead." - some guy down the street.