Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data

Thread: sight color

Boolit Grand Master

sight color

I am considering modifying my front sight on
    my Ruger Blackhawk Bisley by adding a colored insert.
    What color do ya think would be the best for low light conditions ??
    I don't want to use a dot type sight on this revolver but do not want to
    loose the front sight when deer are moving or I am on the black body of a
    black bear at dusk..........
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    "...on the black body of a black bear at dusk..."

Or on the body of a two legged predator.

I will follow this with interest.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I like a flat front sight, with a thin slice of bone or ivory glued on the face.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Tritium or a distant second place is white. Might try a brass express style bead. Don't have any experience with fiber optics and low light. Red or orange isn't much help.

Banned

Personally, I switched to the Ultra Dots for dusk and mornings. Long ago I had a shiny brass front sight on my flintlock. I could not hit a deer because of the ball of light out there. It was OK out in the open but down in the woods it was a ball of fire.
    I like dead black and undercut but all open sights go away in dark conditions. Red goes first as light dims.
    The only color that lasts is green fiber optic.
    The problem is to see only the sight and not a glow emanating from it. When you can't see the light gap or top of the sight because of glow, it is like having no sight at all.
    The sights I hate the worst are the ones with red inserts, S&W and the SRH.
    I smoked my SRH sight once and melted it so I poked it out. I shot much better that way.
    Tritium is the best as it has a low glow. Keep the brightness very low.
    Even on my lighted bow sights I use a tiny potentiometer to reduce the light of the LED's. If too bright you can't see a deer past the sights.
    The very best is still a red dot for dusk but it will still blind you if it gets too dark. Pigs then need lit up with a light.

Boolit Master

The gold bead is allways a good choice ! after having 2 handguns with red fiber optic front sights i bought another with geen fiber optic front sight and i was surprised i like the green better.
    If youre getting to be in your mid to late 40s or 50s id get some type of red dot sight ! i have them on most of my handguns & a few rifles ! they for sure will make you a better shot than useing iron sights.
    I

Boolit Grand Master

Paint the front sight light blue with some model paint and see what you think. I know
    this is outside of normal practice, but I have found nothing that works better for
    consistent contrast against everything in a solid color.

If you can change the sight, a green fiber optic insert is AMAZING in low light.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    thanks fellas
    some very good suggestions
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Mold
    You know that is funny- my 75 year old father kept complaining that he couldn't pick up the front sight on my SBH .44. I found an insert kit on Brownell's website- it wasn't difficult and it actually looks pretty good. There are a bunch of colors to choose from. He picked orange and now shoots without complaint...

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...GHT_INSERT_KIT

Boolit Grand Master
    thatnks UT
    that is exactly what I was going to do
    but as long as there is a kit may as well use that
    Appreciated
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I've never cared for the inserts & I tried a gold bead for a short time, it would work under some conditions but in low light it can be very hard & slow to find, in competition it was even worse, some of the targets are the same color as that gold bead! I've stated before that for me at least, I first narrow the front sight, then paint it white. After its dry I use flourecent orange or pink & believe it or not that pink is working out best. 44man is right about a sight fading or blurring at times, thats mostly caused by the front sight being too large & there's no daylight when its lined up with the rear. Its always going to be somewhat of a compromise with old eyes & iron sights.
    On my competition guns I've always favored the green fiber optic, very fast & easy to find. I truly believe the wide front sight is one of the biggest problems out there for an iron sighted shooter.

Dick

Banned

black thin enough that you get some light on both sides when looking through the rear. Other then that about the only thing that really adds any shooting time is tritium.

I favor a lime green insert, did it to all my revolvers.
    1. Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
    2. Never point a firearm at anything you do not intend to shoot.
    3. Keep the finger off the trigger and firearm on safe until ready to shoot.
    4. Know the target and what's beyond it.