MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Load Data

View Poll Results: Between these two choices when it comes to Concealed Carry which would/do you prefer

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • S&W (J) frame 15oz 38+P

34 62.96%
  • S&W (J) frame 23oz 357mag

20 37.04%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: J-frame in 38+P or 357mag?

Boolit Master

Poll: J-frame in 38+P or 357mag?

Trying to decide between a J-frame in either 38+P or 357mag, am interested in your opinions.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Compared to my 27 oz sp101 they both sound light. For me the weight is no big deal because I use a Bianchi Lightning belt holster that rides very high. If you're not always wearing jeans I suppose weight plays a bigger role. That being said I do have a 15oz Smith as well, it gets carried 5-10% of the time.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Look at the foot-pounds of energy the various loads you might use will generate. Some get pretty snappy in recoil. That means a barely visible front sight if aiming at certain distances. Energy is nice but orher factors are impotrant.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master
    I have owned and carried a S&W M36. For me, the 38 Special was a sufficient enough round that I did not consider anything larger. Of course, when I bought the J frames, the only cartridges available were 22, 32 and 38. The 357 was not offered for a couple of decades until after I got mine. If I were to do it again, I would likely stay with the 38 Special. I don't see much ballistic advantage going to the Magnum round with the 2" barrel. I had both the 2" and 3" versions and still have the 3" version. When I feel the need to carry a small bore, it is the one I grab.
    Last edited by StrawHat; 07-17-2011 at 06:38 AM.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

In Remebrance

I can't think of a nicer pocket gun than my Smith Bodyguard, the M-38 IIRC. It's perfect. While the 357 has a lot more juice than my 5.0 Unique behind a 150-160 boolit, I don't think it's going to make much difference for my use. Other may feel differently, more power to them. If I need a 357 I grad the M-19 or 28.

Boolit Master
    I vote for the .357 if for no other reason you can fire both .38 and .357. Would hate to be in a situation needing ammo and the only thing handy was .357.

Dwight

Boolit Master

If you are not going to pocket-carry it, get the heavier one. 23oz is fine on a belt, but too heavy for a pocket (unless you're wearing a parka). I don't think you'll be shooting a lot of .357 anyway, but it is nice to know you can if you want to. I voted for the 38+P because for me half of the reason to own one of these is because you can shove it in a pocket when running out the door and not have to strap on a holster and belt. YMMV. I have heard of people pocket-carrying much larger and heavier revolvers, but I don't think it makes sense after trying it. Shove a brick in your pocket and tell me if it's obvious or comfortable.

bhn22
    I have a 649 S&W. I purposely bought it after shooting a friends Scandium J frame, which I found to be extremely uncomfortable to shoot, even with 38 SPL +P. I carry +P specials in mine, full power .357 is too rambunctious in it too. The stainless steel adds some comforting weight, and I know I won't have the frame stretching issues that plagued some of the lightweights. It is heavier, but carries well in a pocket holster in the cargo shorts with deep pockets that are my standard summer uniform.

Boolit Grand Master

15 ounces is a boat anchor. I love my 360. Carries easy and .38 +P is very controllable. I don't shoot a lot of mags out of it though...

Boolit Man
    I would(and do) go with a all steel 38 special for a pocket gun. I have never personally been bothered by carrying a few extra ounces but I do not much care for shooting guns in the 15 ounce or less range. Don't like the way they balance and feel in my hand either.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll bow out of this poll, and say that the SMALLEST 357 Magnum I have any interest in firing is my Model 19 x 2.5". With Pachmayr Compacs I might be able to run a J-frame 2" 38 Special capably, but I generally don't shoot small-frame revolvers very well.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I wore out a M37, and am now carrying a 442 which I'll wear out as well if I live another 10 years.
    If it's in your pocket every day, weight is everything. If you can't put at least 100 rounds a month through it, how can you really count on it, (and your ability with it?) I just don't see it happening with a 15 oz .357 If I'm too far away to kill it with a .38, I'm gonna run. Whether I run towards, or away, I'll decide when the time comes.
    BD

SP101 is as small as I'll go in 357 - I have some smaller 5 shot 38's but most of the really small 38/357 seem to wear much more quickly when used with 357.

Boolit Grand Master

I have the scandium aluminum alloy version with the titanium cyl, S&W 340, IIRC.

Definitely snappy recoil with full power heavy boolit/bullet loads. I have settled on the
    same load as Bret - 5.0 Unique, in my case it is under a Lyman 358429 HP cast soft. Works
    well, but not a plinker by any means.

I shoot full power loads from my S&W 329 .44 mag (scandium aluminum & titanium 26 oz)
    but would decline an offer to shoot a full power .357 Mag from the ultra light J-frame
    version.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    The SP-101 ran well for me, and shot well with 357s (125 grain JHP). The J-frames DID NOT, this with our agency's 158 JHP load. I don't think loading was the difference. Tell ya what--the J-frame light-metal 357s might well be short-lived, but will last a whole lot longer than I will with that recoil impulse. Fuggetaboutit.

Given that the I- and J-frames were initially the platform designed around the 32 S&W Long, that they can contain the 357 Magnum is a tribute to their engineering. Still, I'll pass.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a M&P 340 scandium .357. IMO it is too much of a good thing with full house loads for practice or plinking. Feels like you have a hand full of bees when she goes off. I do like it for pocket carry because of its light weight and tritium big dot front sight.

Boolit Master
    Well thank you all for helping me decide. I ended up ordering an all stainless steel S&W 649 (shrouded hammer) in 357mag. My thoughts are you can always down load a 357 to be tolerable for practice, and if the gun really does prove to be too heavy or have excessive recoil I can sell/trade it for a Ruger LCP or some other mouse gun.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

My 640

I had a 640 for years and shot the daylights out of it. 357's at 158 gr are a handful. My favorite 357 load was 18.something of 296 with a 125 gr bullet. It could start forest fires with the muzzle flash. It cleared out the lane either side of me at the indoor range. Fun to shoot but useless for anything.
    I carried 38+p+p+p in it.....good enough to stop anything. Shot placement is everything.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I've had occasion to fire .357 ammo from a two and a half inch model 19 without ear protection . While if my life depended on it I would do it again but I think if that were the case I could do as well with a thirty-eight . Even a "K" frame stands right up when you touch off full power stuff I can only imagine what a lighter package would do . I got a chance to fire a three inch Chief with regular service thirty-eight ammo and it wasn't to bad at all . The plus ammo shouldn't be to bad in that .

Jack

Boolit Grand Master
    If I am carrying on a belt. I can carry a bigger gun. Otherwise, I want small and light. A Little 38 versus a larger .357? I'll take the 38 in a pocket--in fact, I did. I have a model 38 and a 342.