Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How can someone be so smart and so misinformed?

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.

How can someone be so smart and so misinformed?

I know a guy that casts beautiful bullets for a lot of guns. 45/70, .30, 8mm, etc. He's a credit to the hobby.

Today I heard him say with regards to shooting cast out of an M1 Carbine, "You can't do that, you'll lead it up, the twist is too fast and the rifling too shallow for cast lead."

Didn't matter that I shot a better group with cast than with 110 round nose jacketed, or that I told him I had about 1000 or so through said gun with no leading and no function problems, running about 1900 fps, he was adamant that I was nuts.

Go figure.

Boolit Grand Master

You are mistaken in your assessment of him as "so smart".

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Unfortunately, some are like that. At the range when you say you're shooting cast, you get, "Yeah, they're inaccurate, lead and ruin your barrel."

Typical statements from someone not in the know.

To quote Brother Dave Gardner of old........ "Let them that didn't want none have memories of not getting any......"

That will leave more cast for me to shoot./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Why do you care? To each his own. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    Some people refuse to acknowledge fact and reality, even when it stares them in the face, preferring, instead, to lead their lives in blissful ignorance.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am always amazed at what can be accomplished by someone who doesn't know something can't be done.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I am always amazed at what can be accomplished by someone who doesn't know something can't be done.
    That's how Henry Ford got unbreakable glass for his windshields. Everybody told him it was impossible, so he interviewed a series of fresh, new engineers, and his primary question during the interview was what they thought about making safe windshields. He hired the one engineer that didn't tell him it couldn't be done. That engineer went straight to the job of it, invented tempered, laminated glass, and Henry Ford got what he needed.

Gear

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Back when I apprenticed to a blacksmith, he taught me if something was impossible to do, just add three days onto the delivery date. Darned if he couldn't pull it off every time, too!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    You can take almost any manufacturing process, describe it to someone as something new and most of the time they will tell you it's impossible.
    I have watched some processes that I still think are impossible.
    I always worry about lead collecting in the gas tubes of gas operated semi-autos.

Boolit Master
    Before I joined this site I thought you could only use 10gns of shotgun powder under a lead boolit and that I could only shoot 1'' groups at 100 with jacketted. Pat

Boolit Master

Maybe he had an m1 carbine that didn't work well with cast for some reason. He may also not have found this site which is amazing btw.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    Don't tell me "CAN'T" ! I'll show you some "CAN"T!
    I always told my kids " Cant never could do nuthin".
    Really , some people just get something stuck in their head and cannot get past it. Its worse the older the person is too.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master
    Well I have recently become a convert. Not that it "couldn't be done", I simply didn't want top bad enough. While not with the M1, I had apprehensions of shoving a heavy chunk of lead down my bore at high pressure and velocity. I am over that now that I have done it. Well mostly anyhow.

I always told my kids " Cant never could do nuthin".
    Yep, that brings a whole flood of memories back, I can here my pop now,

"Don't won't, couldn't wouldn't, and can't never could", plus quite a few more. It was usually followed up by, "now get your "donkey" up here, and lets get done with this".
    Later,
    Mike / TX

Boolit Buddy
    they don't know what it is they don't know!

philosopher
    billy boy

In Remebrance

There's stupid and there's ignorant. Ya can't fix stupid, but you can educate the ignorant. No guarantee they'll have an easy time of it or that they'll end up thinking just like you do, but you can inform them if their minds are open.

Boolit Grand Master

Knowledgable in a narrow frame and highly opinionated. CLosed minded and not willing to learn. I don't define that as "smart".
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Glad this came up and reminded me i haven't shot my M1 lately.

It always amazes me how many things I've done that I found out later couldn't be--good thing no one told me they were impossible before I did them--I might not have tried. Well, I probably would have anyway on second thought--I tend to ignore the nay-sayers with amazing regularity.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Master
    I put a couple thousand rounds of cast through an M1 Carbine and the only issue I encountered was a bit of lead fouling in the gas port. Could've been an alloy issue, but dealing with it was no big deal so I just kept shooting it out of ignorance that cast bullets were no good for it. It was a sweet shooting fun little gun but the novelty wore off after a while so away it went.

I know a guy who has over 150 of them in his collection, but he refuses to shoot cast in them. Of course he doesn't shoot much jacketed either. The only one that gets "aired out" occasionally is his M2.

Boolit Grand Master
    do the impossible first then that makes the others look easy
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often