Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MCD ProductsInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .40 S&W 175gr loads

Boolit Master

.40 S&W 175gr loads

I just ordered a Lee six cavity mold for my Sig. I did a search and didn't see much on the .40 want to see what you guys are loading. I've been using Power Pistol in 9mm but can't find any locally lately. Thanks in advance. FB

Boolit Buddy
    My go-to target load is 3.7grains WST with the Lee truncated cone. With my alloy, it weighs 180 grains, and I load to 1.135 OAL. With CCI small rifle primers it chrono's right at 850 fps. Standard deviations in the low teens and very accurate through a glock 35.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive".

Boolit Grand Master
    Same OAL as TruckMsl uses, small pistol primer, 4.7 grains of WW-231 gives same velocity as my carry load (W-W Ranger SXT 180 JHP)--950 FPS in the CZ-75B and about 915 FPS in the Glock 23.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

4.4gr Red Dot at 1.135 OAL. Couldn't tell you velocity at the moment, but it's a nice-running load with 175 SWC and 180 TC.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Master

I'm not trying to hijack this thread...just a little question about your cast 40's...I'm using straight WWs and water quenching. Do you quench or air cool for your loads?

Boolit Master

Thanks guys that gives me some good choices to start. I think I have a pound of WST I never opened. And might pick up some ww-231 and red dot I need the red dot to try in .45 Colt loads anyway.

Roundnoser, Your not hijacking at all. I have been using 50/50 WW and pure water quenched a lot lately for most auto loader rounds. I was using straight WWs water quenched but started 50/50 to save on WW metal when I read guys here were getting good results with 50/50. For HPs I'm going to try 1-16 tin/lead for expansion. FB

Boolit Master

I wasn't sure if straight WWs water quenched would be too hard...I think it would be somewhere around 18 to 20+ BHN. Others on this forum say soft lead and WWs (50/50) come out to approx. 15 BHN. SInce the 9mm and 40's develop magnum-like pressures, I figured a hard bulet would work fine.

Some guys complain that various bullet configurations in autoloaders causes an impact deformation in the bullet nose during the feeding cyle. Thats why I cast mine kinda hard. What I DON'T want is too hard = gas blow-by.
    Jon

Boolit Mold

5.5 gr Herco ,Size .400, COL 1.115, 950fps, 5'' Barrel STI Trojan. I LOVE this load. And the powder is cheep(er)!

Boolit Master

A stiff load of Accurate Arms #7, 7.9gr if I remember correctly.

Boolit Buddy
    Mihec 40-160-Hex HP (156grs.)
    WSP
    5.0 Unique
    1.095" OAL
    Nice medium load.

Boolit Buddy

.40 load

In my Sig 229 which has extremely shallow rifling, I have had the best results with the following. Lyman 401638 175gr. cast hard, 5.2gr. unique and any SPP.
    Kirk

Banned

Tried lots and lots of things, my favorite full-house load is the Lee 175 TC seated to 1.118" in Speer brass, 8.2 grains HS6, 50/50 Carnauba Red/BAC, alloy is WQWW + 1% tin for about 22 bhn, CCI 500 primers, good for a chrono'd 1118 fps average at 15 ft from the muzzle of a S&W M&P .40.

Gear

Boolit Bub
    Rico1950, I have the MiHec 160 gr. 40 cal. Can you tell me what is the BHN and the alloy of your heads? Thanks, Rick

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
    A stiff load of Accurate Arms #7, 7.9gr if I remember correctly.
    Holy Smokes................. A little hot for a cast load, no ?

Boolit Buddy
    "Rico1950, I have the MiHec 160 gr. 40 cal. Can you tell me what is the BHN and the alloy of your heads? Thanks, Rick "

Air cooled WW, BHN 12

Boolit Buddy
    Also have some of the Lee 40-175-TC. Air cooled and water dropped 50/50 PB/WW. But I need another week on the water dropped.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Lee TL175-SWC lubed with 45/45/10, water dropped wheel weights and a starting charge of Unique. Just a plinker but clean and accurate.

Boolit Master

At jerry from ct, 7.9gr of Accurate Arms #7 is below its maximum charge with cast bullets, but above it for jacketed.
    http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con...d_data_3.5.pdf

175g tc
    50/50 soft and wheel weights.
    Water dropped.
    5g of Unique.
    Most accurate I have found for my Glock with Lone Wolf barrel.
    No leading of barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    As a generally all-around load, I've been running 6.0gr WSF with either RP5 1/2 or Federal 100s behind Lee 175gr TCs cast from acWW+2% tin in WW cases. COAL has been 1.09".
    The velocities have been about 1085-1100fps from a Tanfoglio Witness 4.76" barrel @ 5' from an Oehler M33.
    Hopefully, by the end of summer, I'll have a drastic dent in the number of loads, with MOST available powders, with this boolit. But this load with any of several similar powders should be satisfactory.
    Have fun,
    Gene