Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: Found the problem!

Found the problem!

Sometimes I wonder...just how dense I can be! Being aware that when accuracy goes astray with a given load...and the butt mound even becomes 'elusive' as the target.....LEADING is more than likely the cause thereof!!
    During my testing of the KIK 1F powder apparently I had a very insidious case of leading and two days ago I discovered the cause; sh*tTY LEAD COMPOSITION!! I have had on hand....notice HAD....some lead given to me in the past that I used to pour up bullets through a BACO Money Bullet mould and apparently this lead dropped bullets of a composition that was much to 'brittle' as it started leaving minute lead in the bore of my Shiloh 45 2 7/8 and two days ago....I fired only 3 rounds and then dug CHUNKS of vast leading from the bore! I had just gone through a 'deleading' process the day before I fired these mentioned 3 rounds so I know the bore didn't have any lead prior to firing these 3 rounds but by golly it was there afterward! This of course was PP loads wrapped/patched correctly I might add; this bullet never before causing leading with PP. After laying a few bullets on a steel plate and crushing them with a 4# hammer it was apparent that they were much to brittle as they just broke apart whereas normal composition lead alloy will just flatten! Not this **** and as of about 1 hour ago...all this 'given to lead' is now in the dumpster...along with a few cast bullets of the same junk!!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like it had super high Tin content. Very good composition when alloyed correctly. I would not throw it out at all. Just my 2 cents.

Matt

High Tin

Quote Originally Posted by Matt3357 View Post
    Sounds like it had super high Tin content. Very good composition when alloyed correctly. I would not throw it out at all. Just my 2 cents.

Matt
    Matt

I'm too damn old and too damn contrary to spend what time I've got left on this earth fiddle-farting around with having to melt down and alloy my lead for shooting! I've always ordered what I need from Walter Moore out of Oklahoma and what he alloys works well. That **** I got rid of is already in the dumpster....and I don't figure on climbing in and digging it out!!

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Now all you need do is figure out how in the world did lead come in contact with the bore when shooting a patched bullet.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Don

The nose disintegrated!!

Now that is a new one I never herd of happening

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RMulhern View Post
    The nose disintegrated!!
    ............uh no...at black powder pressures??? You really think this?

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yep! I do believe the nose and portion of the bullet broke apart within the bore! This lead...if you want to call it that....was damn nigh onto like 'chalk'! And when 113 grs. KIK 1F hit the bullets in the ***....they broke apart within the bore!!