Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turret Press??

Boolit Master
    firebrick43
    It was not you that said it was junk it was someone else on this thread but I have heard it before too. That's why I said I dont understand why because I find no fault with the press.
    Perhaps I use it for different reasons than others do though. You mention using the nut negating the speed and also having multiple turrets and changing them. I assume the reason for that is so to keep the dies set at a certain adjustment in the turrets.
    I have no need nore desire to keep my dies at a certain setting between loading sessions and since I turn the turret bolt by hand with my fingers I dont see any time loss with that. I done want more than the one turret as I just have no need of it. Also I do not prime from a loading press and have not for many years so for me the priming thingy is a moot point. I prime separately either with a hand prime tool or a bench mount priming tool.
    My use of the press is more geared to load development than it is to volume loading.
    For loading 3 or 5 or even 10 rounds at a time for group testing I have found no better way than a turret press.
    I got this press with the Lyman powder measure and some mics. items at a gun show for $50.00 so no big investment there.
    My Son has the Lee turret press and I have used it but do not care for it as well as the Lyman.

i like my old Texan 7 hole i keep on bench #2.

HMP
    Last edited by HARRYMPOPE; 09-15-2011 at 01:10 AM.

I load 30-30s on this but only neck size. It will do 150 an hour if all goes well.

I load 30-06 on an old Dillon.

Boolit Buddy

lee

Get the Lee Classic Turret, You wont be sorry.

Boolit Grand Master

I have and like the T-7, also use a Lee classic turret 4 hole because I can set up some lower
    production dies once and forget them, leaving a pair of rifle calibers in one turret is nice.
    The Lee CC turret is pretty good but their silly priming system is pretty mickey mouse. Use the
    Lee hand primer, but I have heard the new version is messed up somehow, can't see what
    that is all about since the old one was just excellent. Why "fix" something that isn't broke?

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Buy the Dillon BL-550 all the rest are junk when you have reloaded on a Dillon.
    Last edited by Huntducks; 05-21-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I have two Dillon 550s, and they are very good machines for their application. That does not
    make other presses "junk".

I also load on a Redding T7, Rock Chucker and Lee Classic Cast turret. Each is
    a good, workable system with different advantages and disadvantages for various tasks.

The Dillons are fine for large quantity loading of a few calibers. They are expensive to set
    up for a new caliber and a bit inconvinent to quickly change the setup for trying differnent
    boolits and loads. Not everyone needs a large quantity of the same ammo, which is the
    Dillon 550 forte. The Lee's forte, is quick changing die sets and low cost setup for many
    calibers with limited automation. The Redding is good for about 2-3 calibers at once, depending
    on the number of dies that you are using per caliber, and reasonably good speed, but more
    like a single stage press with easy die changing, for me.

Bill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HEAD0001 View Post
    I was also looking at the RCBS and Harrel turret press, as well as the Redding. But the Redding is a bit too expensive for me. I was just looking for some opinions on these type presses to speed up my reloading process on the 30-06, wthout going straight to my Hornady progressive. I want the ability to take the brass out and do prep and such. So I was just looking for some good sound advice. Thanks, Tom.
    You should take a physical look at a LCT. Lot's of people own them. Keep in mind the LCT's entire toolhead rotates and lifts when you use it. I wouldn't buy anything until you have had a chance to actually use them a little.

Mtgun44

I take it your not familiar with the BL-550 if you notice there is a RC in my picture the guy asked about turret presses and the dillon BL-550.

I will say it will take a few min longer to change a shell plate then pulling out a shell holder but the die head is simple on this model.

Plus dillon warranty and the fact I have not seen a dillon lose it's value.
    Last edited by Huntducks; 05-21-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have owned a 550 and just don't get how the 550 BL works. Do you only load one case at a time, using the star to index it? Does it have a different shell holder? Obviously it doesn't prime on the press like a 550. That is easily done with another method.

Boolit Master

I load my Black Powder rounds on a Lyman Spar T press which I bought from another member for a decent price.

Since it has 6 stations on the turret ring I can pretty much do everything I want to do without having to use another press. I have been hand priming my cases for years. So I do not need nor use the primer arm on this press.

I currently load .44 Spcl, .41 Mag and 50-90 Sharps on this press. I found a smoking hot deal on a hand made Black Powder Measure that drops a very consistent amount of the Holy Black.

Despite the supposedly imnpossible cleaning chores required with Black Powder usage I really enjoy shooting BP in my big bore revolvers and my 1885 Winchester rifle.

Actually the Buffalo rifle is the easiest gun I own for cleaning. Every four shot or so I run a windex/ammonia/water soaked patch through the bore followed by another and then a dry patch. This prevents the bore from getting really gunked up with fouling. When done shooting I just repeat the previous cleaning and add an additional soaked patch run thru and add an additional dry patch run thru. Then I soak a patch with Ballistol and run that thru to leave a clean and lubed bore for the next outing. Than I run a patch with Ballistol around the muzzle and coat all the exposed metal with the same clean patch to remove all fouling from the rifle.

There is nothing like firing off a revolver loaded with BP amongst a bunch of smokeless powder shooters. First the sound is different. Not so much as a loud cracking sound but more like a big deep throated boom. Then there is the large white cloud of smoke. Then the smell and then the satisfying CLANG from the steel gong downrange. When shooting at 300 yds or more with the rifle the CLANG comes later but it signals a good shot.

I cannot imagine the smoke inside a poker room of a Saloon in the days of old when a gunfight erupts. I guess you had better hit your target fast because after the first few rounds you will be fighting using the Braille System.

I doubt you will find a Lyman Spar T press in your local gunshop or whatever. You might google it and see what is out there. Mine is built like a Mack Truck and will not be leaving my loading room for many years.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master

Crash,

That's interesting that you load the Holy Black in .41 mag. How does it perform? Accuracy? Ballistics?

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

The OP said he was considering a Redding T-7. You can buy 3 Classic Cast single stage presses for the price of one T-7 and set each one up for its own dedicated reloading step. I sometimes do this if I know I will leave them set up for an extended length of time. I have one Classic Turret and am looking to add a second. One goes to the range, the other will stay on the bench. That way I just have to change out turrets.

I don't think you can buy a bad press these days with the possible exception of Smart Reloader. I hear bad things about their presses. Just look for the features you want and take the plunge.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Buddy
    Ive been reloading for 30 years on a turret and dont think they are much faster than a single stage press that is out fitted with Hornady Lock N Load bushings. The only real increase in speed Ive ever had was with My Dillon 550. I really am intrigued by the CH4D's '444',.
    There are so many good presses out there its hard to go wrong. I dont think you would be unhappy with a turret from Lyman , RCBS, Lee, Or Redding. And the Dillon BL 550 is basically a progresive with out the auto prime and auto powder drop. It can be upgraded to a regular 550 pretty easy
    Last edited by doulos; 06-01-2011 at 01:14 AM.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range.
    Well I decided on the Lee Classic Turret Press. I think it will do exactly what I want to do. Which is to speed up my 30-06 cast bullet loading, yet still give me good control of each step. I ordered it from Midway, they were on sale for $95. Pretty good price I think?? If I don't like it then I am not out too much. I am sure I could sell it fairly fast if I don't like it, so we will see. I know I saved a good bit of money over the other choices. And if it only does great on my 30-06 loading then it is worth it's cost. Tom.
    WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

You won't have any problems you can link to the press but give us a shout when you get ready to set up your dies. We may have a few pointers for you.

Congrats on your purchase. Good choice.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HEAD0001 View Post
    Well I decided on the Lee Classic Turret Press. I think it will do exactly what I want to do. Which is to speed up my 30-06 cast bullet loading, yet still give me good control of each step. I ordered it from Midway, they were on sale for $95. Pretty good price I think?? If I don't like it then I am not out too much. I am sure I could sell it fairly fast if I don't like it, so we will see. I know I saved a good bit of money over the other choices. And if it only does great on my 30-06 loading then it is worth it's cost. Tom.
    Even if you find its not optimal for 30-06 you might find you like it for other calibers. Probably pistol calibers

I reload 25-06 and 45-70 without any problems on mine so he should be fine with the 30-06.

Boolit Grand Master

Seems like calling all other presses "junk" is kind of insulting to the many folks that
    think that they have a good press, and it doesn't happen to be a Dillon.

I am familiar with the starter version of the 550, have recommended it to friends as a
    good place to start. I see you have a Square Deal, too. Dillon is good equipment, used
    it since 1981, really like it but would never make a blanket statement that any kind of
    equipment "everything else is junk". But that's just me, I suppose.

I was trying to make comparisons of the strong points and weak points of the various
    turrets that I own and use.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 06-03-2011 at 02:21 PM.

Boolit Master

I agree with you Bill. I have a Dillon 650, but I would not call my Lee Challenger single stage junk or the Lee turret presses.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ