Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Gun Time

Quote Originally Posted by BackWoods Billy View Post
    Thanks you guys.I pretty much made up my mind and going with a FA .454 7.5" barrel with a extra .45 long colt cylinder. Now it's time to wait.LOL... I guess I can start getting some good molds together.(most of what I have is .44)
    Billy, I like your thoughts here....... love the .45 Colt cylinder idea on the mdl 83. I'd personally go with a 4-3/4" or 6" barrel though.

I'm not sure where the comments about the 45 Colt cylinder only handling the Ruger Only loads come from.

you can run a 5 shot 45 Colt up to 50K psi while the Ruger Only loads are ~30k psi loads. and by using the shorter 45 colt brass, you're only increasing your choices of bullets that will fit in the FA cylinder.

in a 5-shot 45Colt on the 83 frame, you'll be able to push a 325 grain bullets to ~1500 fps out of a 6" barrel. JMHO, but this is where the 45Colt will outshine the 44 mag.

the warmest ruger only loads will only push that same bullet to ~1275 fps.
    "Then one day I heard "Reach for it, mister." I spun around, and there I was face to face with a six year old kid."

Boolit Master
    Thanks you guys.I pretty much made up my mind and going with a FA .454 7.5" barrel with a extra .45 long colt cylinder. Now it's time to wait.LOL... I guess I can start getting some good molds together.(most of what I have is .44)
    I wouldn't buy the extra 45 colt cylinder you can down load the 454 look in the Lyman cast book. The extra cylinder would be nice but not necessary IMHO.

I have a Taurus 454 Raging bull in 8" stainless steel it is a blast but not the quality of the FA.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    I love DW's myself. The 445 SuperMag is a great cartridge. The collectability of the SuperMags has driven the price up the last few years. DW still has parts for these guns and the guys on the DWforum are really good at helping people understand the DW world. Buy a peice of history, there was an unfired NIB 445 SuperMag on GB this week.
    GO WVU MOUNTAINEERS!--Hey, our mascot carries a muzzleloader.
    ---------------------------------
    Professional Critter Chaser
    ---------------------------------
    I love wildlife, it tastes great!

Thanks.The good thing about being in the free will zone is that I can change my mind when I want too.LOL.I had my gun guy call about his price on a FA Field 6".I have been thinking a lot about the extra cylinder and I don't think I need it.I never put .44 Special brass in my SBHH I just load it down." by using the shorter 45 colt brass, you're only increasing your choices of bullets that will fit in the FA cylinder." I'm going to look into this.Thanks.
    BackWoods Billy

by using the shorter 45 colt brass, you're only increasing your choices of bullets that will fit in the FA cylinder." I'm going to look into this.Thanks.
    Billy, be aware that FA frowns upon shooting 45Colt in their 454 cylinders. Has to do with tolerances and blah blah blah......I'm not going to argue whether they are right or wrong, nor am i going to defend or bash it. It's Bob Baker's company and personally i'll follow his recomendations.

shooting the longer heavier bullets with 454 brass might require you to crimp above the driving band/crimp grooves so that you can keep OAL short enough

~c.r.
    "Then one day I heard "Reach for it, mister." I spun around, and there I was face to face with a six year old kid."

Quote Originally Posted by c.r. View Post
    Billy, be aware that FA frowns upon shooting 45Colt in their 454 cylinders. Has to do with tolerances and blah blah blah......I'm not going to argue whether they are right or wrong, nor am i going to defend or bash it. It's Bob Baker's company and personally i'll follow his recomendations.

shooting the longer heavier bullets with 454 brass might require you to crimp above the driving band/crimp grooves so that you can keep OAL short enough

~c.r.
    I do like the bigger boolits.I do thank you for bringing that up. Hope to make it to Texas to try it out on some of your pigs...
    BackWoods Billy

Boolit Master
    Just shoot bigger boolits that have shorter noses.

Boolit Buddy
    You might consider taking some of that money you saved by not buying the extra cylinder and have them put a great polishing job on the trigger of that field grade gun...or just shoot it about fifty thousand times.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale.

big dale. My X moved to Plano years ago when my now 30year old daughter was 3. I made a trip there on my bike from S,Ca.back then, You know what I remember the most about that place? The FIRE ANTS..LOL..
    BackWoods Billy

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I love DW's myself. The 445 SuperMag is a great cartridge. The collectability of the SuperMags has driven the price up the last few years. DW still has parts for these guns and the guys on the DWforum are really good at helping people understand the DW world. Buy a peice of history, there was an unfired NIB 445 SuperMag on GB this week.
    Perhaps one day I will be able to afford to replace the one I had, sadly that day isn't today.

There she is. A 6" field Grade. Bought her today for $1,500.00. I think I got a pretty good deal on her.She's in excellent shape.98% Now I have to wait 3 weeks to shoot her.(a lot better then 10 week if I bought a new one.) While I'm waiting I want to make some boolits.Is the size pretty straight up on the FAs? I'm not sure if I "should" get a .452"or a .454" mold to start with. Any help would be great..By the way,thanks for all the help....
    Last edited by BackWoods Billy; 05-21-2011 at 02:24 AM.
    BackWoods Billy

Love Life
    The size on the FA guns is EXACT. .452 for boolits were as big as I could go in mine. Still shot more accurately than I could. This gun really likes the lee 255 rf pb and 300 gr gas checked boolit. For lube either LLA, speed green, or Lotak hard always gave me good results. As for shooting 45 colts out of the cylinder it is perfectly OK as long as you shoot those last.

What I am saying is shoot your 454s first and then shoot 45 colts. The reason behind that is because the 45 colt is shorter and the fouling in the chambers can cause chambering and pressure issues. With the 454 you want to avoid pressure issues because it is already high pressure. Make sure you clean the chambers after shooting 45 colts for the above reasons. These guns can take a lot of punishment, but you want to be careful as usual.

Brass life is exceptional using starline brass with the 454. I have 100 nickle plated pieces of brass that made it to their 8th reload before I had to scrap it using full power loads of 2400. Recoil with 255 grainers is snappy and starts to get retarded past 300 grains and ensure you have a very firm roll crimp or else your boolits will creep forward under recoil.

To finish off my long rant you have selected a very fine firearm. The trigger pull will be fine from the factory and work itself in over time. This is a very viable 100 yard and beyond handgun that is only limited by the boolit design and the user. Best advice I can give is order a couple hundred new starline cases and spend some quality time at the range with oyur new gun. If you have any more questions just shoot me a pm and I will try to answer them as best I can.

Banned

For a .44 I would go with the BFR. Notice they sped up the twist so you do not need warp speed for stability with heavier boolits.
    Next would be the BFR .475. I have not seen a single custom or other production gun to match the accuracy, choice of boolits and ease of loading for.
    Next would be a Ruger SBH Hunter.

Love Life.Thanks so much for your help.I just ordered the two Lee molds and "should" have them in a couple days.I have the .44 Lee in the 300gr GC and I love it. 44man that .44 SBH Hunter is a real shooter.I'm having a real goooooood time with this stuff.. It's almost time for me to go get a pig..Now with the .454 I can use them Barnes 250 gr XPB in the conder zone (Calif.Sucky Rules)and feel good about it....
    Last edited by BackWoods Billy; 05-22-2011 at 05:28 PM.
    BackWoods Billy

Well got my molds in the mail today and casted up a few.There both lee molds the 300gr GC and the 255gr PB. I'm using Clip-on WW and droping the in water. Now is this hard enough for full house loads.They come out between 18-21 BHN. Do I need to add in some #7-8 shot or cook them in the oven at 460. In other words(LOL) is water quenched WW good enough for the 454 ?
    Last edited by BackWoods Billy; 05-29-2011 at 02:28 AM.
    BackWoods Billy

Banned
    Backwoods Billy:
    Well got my molds in the mail today and casted up a few.There both lee molds the 300gr GC and the 255gr PB. I'm using Clip-on WW and droping the in water. Now is this hard enough for full house loads.They come out between 18-21 BHN. Do I need to add in some #7-8 shot or cook them in the oven at 360. In other words(LOL) is water quenched WW good enough for the 454 ?
    When did you take the reading?

I wait a week or so to test with the Lee tester.
    BackWoods Billy

Groo here
    I would stay away from 45colt cases unless you clean the chambers verry well each time
    you shoot them..
    The remains of the powder and the bullet leavings will build up
    at the end of the chamber and cause extraction problems with 454 brass.[ Did in mine ]
    Also the gun will shoot very well with 250 to 280 gr bullets as when it was made this was
    the norm... Heaver bullets [300 to 340gr] MAY need to be driven faster
    because the 454 has a slow twist barrel.
    For this reason I use only 454 cases and unless going for Big Game aka bear/moose/elk
    or up, stick to 250 to 270 gr bullets. [Yes they can go fast] I have some SSK molds for 454.
    PS. Be sure to use 454 dies as 45colt may not size the brass down far enough..

Boolit Buddy
    You will not be disappointed with the FA. I have a 4.75" model 83. It's really accurate and not bad to shoot. It really likes the Saeco 454 SWC over WW296.

Thanks for the help you guys.
    BackWoods Billy