Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wood shotgun pistol grip

Banned

wood shotgun pistol grip

i was thinking about making a wood pistol grip for my

1 should the grain be going up and down or just like a stock side to side

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    First thing to do, is check if it is legal where you are to have a pistol grip on a shotgun.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    First thing to do, is check if it is legal where you are to have a pistol grip on a shotgun.
    yup lol as long as it is 26" or over in OAL

it can be shorter but it cant be on if shorter for more the 30 days at a time dum law

Boolit Master
    Honestly if I were doing it, I'd do a laminate. It doesn't have to be anything special, but you could glue up 3 layers or so crisscrossing the grain, and then maybe dowel it with some brass pins if you want some bling to look at. OR use wooden dowels thoughtfully done inside blind holes so they can't be seen.

I'm sure a solid piece of quality wood might hold, but that's a nasty thought should the thing break.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    Honestly if I were doing it, I'd do a laminate. It doesn't have to be anything special, but you could glue up 3 layers or so crisscrossing the grain, and then maybe dowel it with some brass pins if you want some bling to look at. OR use wooden dowels thoughtfully done inside blind holes so they can't be seen.

I'm sure a solid piece of quality wood might hold, but that's a nasty thought should the thing break.
    good point but id like it to match my foregrip

Banned

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    The second thing to do is ask yourself why you'd want one. The only reason we had pistol grips or folding stocks on team shotguns was on the short-barreled breaching guns, because they're all but useless for any other purpose.

In the real world, if you need to fight with a shotgun, you need a full stock.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master
    Geraldo, that's absolutely true. Three points of contact.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Geraldo View Post
    The second thing to do is ask yourself why you'd want one. The only reason we had pistol grips or folding stocks on team shotguns was on the short-barreled breaching guns, because they're all but useless for any other purpose.

In the real world, if you need to fight with a shotgun, you need a full stock.
    the gun is just a fun gun i like the look of the pistol grip on it and as a bear defense gun when camping i have a short barrel(12.5" for the dominion arm/870)
    but i like the 24" barrel that i cut down and restamped the new size on

Banned
    Short-barreled, manually-operated shotguns (non-semi-automatics) are non-restricted as long as the barrel remains unmodified from the original factory length. There is no legal minimum for shotgun barrels as long as the overall length exceeds 26" and so shotguns with barrels as short as 6.5 inches are available in Canada. If a shotgun with an 18-inch or greater barrel is reduced to below 18 inches by sawing, cutting, or replacing the barrel (by anyone other than a recognized gun manufacturer), that shotgun becomes prohibited.[4]

lol as long as a gun comes from the factory with the barrel as short as 6.5" its ok
    ok im liking it here now.

replacing the barrel lol then how come i can have my 12.5 barrel(made by Dominion Arms) on my 870 *****
    Last edited by camerl2009; 01-03-2011 at 11:14 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    If u have the DA12" shorty, you should have the p-grip with it when u bought it. Canada ammo who imported them http://www.canadaammo.com/product.ph...0&cat=0&page=1 I see they just got in some wood stocked ones and ur probably best to just to laminate one like what 'dean' said or cut one out of a scrap of oak and stain it.
    I have shot a 8.5" barreled model and what that needs is a Kgrip of sort, to control the muzzle during recoil. even with trap loads.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mckutzy View Post
    If u have the DA12" shorty, you should have the p-grip with it when u bought it. Canada ammo who imported them http://www.canadaammo.com/product.ph...0&cat=0&page=1 I see they just got in some wood stocked ones and ur probably best to just to laminate one like what 'dean' said or cut one out of a scrap of oak and stain it.
    I have shot a 8.5" barreled model and what that needs is a Kgrip of sort, to control the muzzle during recoil. even with trap loads.
    i dont have the da12 just the barrel it works on one of my 870's just have not tryed it on the other 2

I made a pistol grip for a friends 870. I laminated 3 pcs of oak rough cut to shape and hand finished to fit his hand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pgrip2.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

I suggest you borrow one and try it out. I have seen several people try to use
    one and miss EVERY man sized silhouette at 10 yds, every time. It was AMAZING
    how useless it made the gun. Never shot one myself, but we nearly died laughing
    at the guy trying to hit bit targets up close with it. He was not a complete idiot,
    either. Well, actually - the second time I saw one used, the effect was identical,
    but the shooter was pretty much a dud.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting, I saw a guy with a pistol grip 12ga knocking clay pidgeons out of the air on a regular basis. Course, he is a SEAL and gets plenty of practice.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Exclamation Don't do what this guy did!

Here's a picture I copied from another board, which will remain unidentified to protect the idio... er, innocent.
    He said he tried to put the stock back together after he tried to make a PGO!
    His second photo, not copied, showed the "Repair" wrapped with what looked like masking tape.
    Maybe he was just joking. But in all seriousness, I tried to show him how he could repair that mangled stock by inserting hardwood dowels (white lines) and wood screws (colored lines), and glue it together with a good wood glue.
    Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails franken-stock repairs.JPG  
    Last edited by markinalpine; 04-23-2011 at 03:31 PM.
    Any way you sell it,
    No matter how you spell it,
    When you start to smell it,
    BO Stinks!

Boolit Buddy
    after all that effort, I would say get a new stock. Of course if it had been a rare stock/hard to find gun then he probly should be hit several times with the remaining pieces.

Staples!!!!!..........

Boolit Bub
    Few shooters can be really effective with just the pistol grip on a shotgun. A good option is a stock with a pistol grip. I did try the pistol grip only. I took it to the range and tried everything from bird shot to 00 buck. I ruled it out for use on a defensive weapon. The stock w/ the pistol grip was very effective and if you needed to shorten up the weapon for confined spaces, just tuck the stock under your arm and you still have control of the shotgun.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by markinalpine View Post
    Here's a picture I copied from another board, which will remain unidentified to protect the idio... er, innocent.
    He said he tried to put the stock back together after he tried to make a PGO!
    His second photo, not copied, showed the "Repair" wrapped with what looked like masking tape.
    Maybe he was just joking. But in all seriousness, I tried to show him how he could repair that mangled stock by inserting hardwood dowels (white lines) and wood screws (colored lines), and glue it together with a good wood glue.
    Mark
    So you've met Bubba too!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!