Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: Shoot N C Lawsuit Brewing

Boolit Mold

Shoot N C Lawsuit Brewing

Interesting reading. Haven't heard much of the one company, but I've been using BIrchwood Casey stuff for quite a while.

My bet is before the dust settles somebody is gonna pony up a lot more technical details on their product than have been in the press before. I've tried home brewing a few of these targets. Paper doesn't seem to be the ideal medium because it doesn't have quite enough give to it and the coating flakes off in transit unless you're very, very careful with it.

We're playing with some plastics but I think it will push the cost per target up to where it's not a real savings.

https://ecf.mowd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bi...?2010cv4224-34

Boolit Master
    "theinfamouselguapo"

Three amigos right?

Boolit Mold
    Sí! I even have my own plethora of piñatas.

Boolit Master

One of the classics! Even though it was rated one of the worst movies ever, I still LOL everytime I see it!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theinfamouselguapo View Post
    Interesting reading. Haven't heard much of the one company, but I've been using BIrchwood Casey stuff for quite a while.

My bet is before the dust settles somebody is gonna pony up a lot more technical details on their product than have been in the press before. I've tried home brewing a few of these targets. Paper doesn't seem to be the ideal medium because it doesn't have quite enough give to it and the coating flakes off in transit unless you're very, very careful with it.

We're playing with some plastics but I think it will push the cost per target up to where it's not a real savings.

https://ecf.mowd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bi...?2010cv4224-34
    Interesting the Birchwood products and patents predate the BTI stuff by a wide margin and BTI has the nads to go after Birchwoood??

Boolit Grand Master
    Fun and games for lawyers. Snoozefest to me.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by DCM View Post
    Interesting the Birchwood products and patents predate the BTI stuff by a wide margin and BTI has the nads to go after Birchwoood??
    Birchwood brought the initial litigation. This is how they prevailed at consolidating the cases in Minnesota. BTI filed their action separately but even had they not done so they would still have filed a countersuit at some point, even if they thought their patent was worthless.

The technical details in the Edwards patent are kind of interesting. The patent is for a "reusable" target.

I've yet to see anything that looks like stickies to replace the flaked off paint. If somebody made those I'd buy a roll of them.

Cast Hunter

As I recall, someone here had luck making these type of targets using Saran wrap as the outer layer. The Saran wrap was painted black and when shot, it would retract just a bit showing the brighter colored under-layer.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    "theinfamouselguapo"

Three amigos right?
    He's MORE THAN FAMOUS!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theinfamouselguapo View Post
    The technical details in the Edwards patent are kind of interesting. The patent is for a "reusable" target.

I've yet to see anything that looks like stickies to replace the flaked off paint. If somebody made those I'd buy a roll of them.
    The Birchwood Casey targets usually come with 4 or more pasters/target. I have not seen a roll of them as you mention either, but would like to. I try to save all my unused pasters if possible and often use them as targets when I go to the confirm a zero before hunting.

I will have to try the Saran rap idea! That my be just the ticket for sighting in a new toy as I could make a very large target. Especially when it is one of those with the sight/scope way off of the bore (man those can be a pain)!

Ordinary patent litigation. No big deal.

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by DCM View Post
    I will have to try the Saran rap idea! That my be just the ticket for sighting in a new toy as I could make a very large target. Especially when it is one of those with the sight/scope way off of the bore (man those can be a pain)!
    Look here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ighlight=Saran
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    Just another measuring contest between rival companies. I swear, sometimes they sue each other out of pure boredom...
    Last edited by robertbank; 05-02-2011 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Language - come on you can monitor yourself better.
    Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.
    -Gaelic Proverb

Rugerfan
    Thanks for the link, gonna give it a try.

Boolit Master
    Try using butchers paper, the stuff with a shiny side. Paint the shiny side, and see how well it works.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    Thank you.