MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Shotgun powder in handguns

Shotgun powder in handguns

Is there any shotgun powder that should not be used in handgun loads. .357, .38 special, .45 Colt, .45 ACP, .44 Mag.?

I just purchased some V V N3SM that is a sort of a square flake type that seems to go through a powder measure with more weight consistency than Unique. It also is a nicely bulky for its charge weight.

At $25.00 for 5 to 6 pounds I could not pass it up. An unopened 4 pounder and a couple of pounds in an opened jug.

The guy that sold it to me said he used it in 20 gauge loads. I can’t find any information about it on the V V site and it is not listed in any burn rate chart or loading manual that I can find.

Since it is used in the 20 gauge its burn rate may be somewhere around PB or green dot. I figure about 4.5 grains in .45 ACP/200 grain SW and if it does not cycle the action to go up slowly.

Bad Idea?

Boolit Master

The problem you have is powder changes drastly with some loads in different cases. would not be good I dea to "PLAY" would try to see where it came from.
    Like Green dot it works compressed but not good in open loose loads. I had a lot of powder from 30-06 blanks and was told it was same as AA7 it was till I jumped to a heavy boolit and pressure spiked fast

Here's how I work with "unknown" handgun powders:

I first load a few rounds using Bullseye charge data for START loads. If the velocity I get is close to what Bullseye would give, I rate that powder as a Bullseye clone. (If it comes out faster on the first shot, I don't use it at ALL!)

If it comes out slower, I repeat the test using Unique data, and make the same judgments.

Finally, if it seems still slower, I'll try again using 2400 data. Somewhere in there, I'll have a broad burn rate slot that fits the unknown powder. Studying a manual for that cartridge and bullet will allow me to fine-tune the slot a bit. Actual shooting will verify it.

I used my google fu, and found your answer........

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazin...artial%201.pdf

By the article, it looks like a good cast boolit hand gun powder.

Boolit Grand Master
    Rocky, that's a sensible approach to the question.

A lot of shotgun powders make excellent handgun fuels. Herco figures highly in my upper-end 12 gauge field loads--28 gauge field loads--and MANY Magnum revolver loads that bridge the area between "Special" and "Magnum" intensity--950 to 1100 FPS with standard bullet weights.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Phillip:
    Thanks for the lead to the Handloader article. It lists N3SM but the loads given are for N3SH

Rocky Raab:
    Have you found any powders that you will not use?

Quote Originally Posted by fa38 View Post
    Phillip:
    Thanks for the lead to the Handloader article. It lists N3SM but the loads given are for N3SH

Rocky Raab:
    Have you found any powders that you will not use?
    You are right...Eh

Here....http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazin...0(LO)%2021.pdf

It looks to be a bit slower burning then green dot.

VV used to list it as N324 before discontinuing it, if you use the green dot loads, you could work your way up to a good load.
    Last edited by Phillip; 03-27-2011 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Added Info

Phillip
    Thanks again. Burn rate seems about what I figured PB and Green Dot. I also found a phone number for V V importer and will give him a call to see if he has any old loading manuals for the powder.

Green DOT,,, I have used it for years,,,
    4.2GR,,,, in 9mm,, 38sp and .45 acp,,, one weight has worked well,, in all 3 loads,,, Start lower,,, for yourself,, to test it,,,

for me WST smokes,,, less,,,,

But I can't find WST all of the time,,, Green Dot,,, they have all of the time,,

Jim M ammo

fa38, yes, I have found a powder or two that I won't use. Vectan SP10 was one; I could never find a burn rate slot that I was comfortable with, and even the little published data I found for it seemed goddawful hot.

Another, contrary to the trend, is Trail Boss. I have gotten 300 fps spreads in ten-shot strings with it, and simply gave up. It also took up to a minute to dispense a single charge in my digital powder machine, and that did it for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fa38 View Post
    Is there any shotgun powder that should not be used in handgun loads. .357, .38 special, .45 Colt, .45 ACP, .44 Mag.?

I just purchased some V V N3SM that is a sort of a square flake type that seems to go through a powder measure with more weight consistency than Unique. It also is a nicely bulky for its charge weight.

At $25.00 for 5 to 6 pounds I could not pass it up. An unopened 4 pounder and a couple of pounds in an opened jug.

The guy that sold it to me said he used it in 20 gauge loads. I can’t find any information about it on the V V site and it is not listed in any burn rate chart or loading manual that I can find.

Since it is used in the 20 gauge its burn rate may be somewhere around PB or green dot. I figure about 4.5 grains in .45 ACP/200 grain SW and if it does not cycle the action to go up slowly.

Bad Idea?
    See if you can talk to someone at VV or do a google search. You are probably close to Herco...it may be similar to n340-350. As to the question of shotgun powder in pistol, I've shot many pounds of Alliant e3 through my .40's, 9mm's and 12gauge. It's nice when one powder covers multiple cartridges.
    Be the bullet...

Boolit Buddy
    Just found this link: http://www.stronghandinc.com/burningratechart.html
    This chart puts n3sm around 700X or b/n n320 and n330.
    Hope this helps.
    EG
    Be the bullet...

I worked up a load for the 45 ACP 200 Grain MP mould clone of HG #68.

4.0 and 4.2 would not work the slide. Up to 4.8 I was not getting reliable function. At 5.4 grains I got very good accuracy ( at least for me) and felt recoil, primer appearance, case appearance, and where the case landed were the same as for my 4.6 grains of Bulls Eye load.
    I will try to get a chrono reading when I can get one of the club members to bring out his chronograph.

Thanks all.