Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 180gr Boolit in 38 special???

Boolit Grand Master
    That is the chronograph I use, and I have no complaints about its use. Like Bret said, I don't use it every range trip, but it goes out several times a year. I would rate a chronograph as a nice-to-have tool, but certainly not a necessity to craft safe, accurate ammunition.

I would suggest for tooling.......a good caliper. A REAL GOOD micrometer. A pin gauge set. This last tool set is my most recent tool acquisition, and I don't know how I did without it previously.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Matt3357 View Post
    ... what would you guys recommend for Christmas? I am pretty well off as far as molds go and loading stuff goes, so I am looking for something un-necessary but would be nice to have. Any recommendations?

Matt
    Sounds like you need to adopt an older child, maybe one with some reloading experience already so you wouldn't have to bench-break it?

Boolit Master

I was thinking a date with Uma Thurman...

(Though it might cost more than any of us could afford...)
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

I have a great 180 grain mould made by LBT. Veral was nice enough to make it a round nose for me since I use it in USPSA competition. I have been able to get sub 1 inch groups with it from 25 yards from the bench using 5.4 grains of Unique. 5 grains of Unique makes minor for my ICORE loads and shoots 1 inch off the rest.

Another good moould for the 180 is from RCBS. Shoots equally as well but has a flat point. Both can be used in .38 special brass and reach .357 magnum velocitys in a .357 safely.
    Go ahead and run. You will only die tired

Boolit Buddy
    I'm glad to hear that it can be done. I was going to shoot this past weekend, but didn't get a chance too. I had to end up helping my brother fix a combine instead. Oh well, I am going back home this coming weekend to shoot my slug gun again after a couple of fixes, so I'll try out my loads then. Thanks for all your help fellas. I'll bring a range report back when I shoot em.

Thanks,
    Matt

Talking Un-necessary but nice to have

Originally Posted by Matt3357
    ... what would you guys recommend for Christmas? I am pretty well off as far as molds go and loading stuff goes, so I am looking for something un-necessary but would be nice to have. Any recommendations?

Matt

My brother is in to AR's and I'm always teasing him about them being "H.M.S. Rifles" (Hang More Sh@t).

I bought him Mark Fingar's M4 acessories poster (Barbie's For Men).

Jack

Boolit Master

in speers # 11 reloading manuals at least they had info on loading there J 180 gr sil bullet in revolvers. in 357 mag cases trimmed to a length 1.180 and bullet crimped in crimp grove.
    2ed procedure is to trim cases to 1.275 max length and crimped over bullets front sholder of the bullet
    the 2 methods give you 2 different case capacities so different load data for each method
    if you need load info please pick which method and send a PM

bob

Boolit Man
    this one is for the load masters out there,
    I've been reloading for about 2 months now, I currently use the 180 grain Striker (sized to .358) from Missouri Bullet Co in my 38 special, it has a .30" nose to crimp, I load it to an OAL 1.465" I plan to use the same boolit for my 357 crimped to an OAL 1.585"

I'd like to check my data to make sure I'm not fatiguing my pistol excessively.
    I use Unique 4.6-4.8 grains, Bluedot 5.8-6.2 grains, and I just bought some 2400 to try 7.4-7.8 grain loads.

The Unique and the Bluedot are both putting up smoke screens with each shot, It's almost like using BP.

any thoughts on these loads?

I've used a cast 180 grainer that I cast myself from and LBT Mold. With Unique in .38 cases and loaded long to 1.55 with 4.5 grains of Unique they shoot great 750 fps from my 6 in. 686. 5.2 grains of unique will make major calibre for USPSA shooting and is stiff at 968 fps but accuracy is into 1 inch at 25 yards.
    Go ahead and run. You will only die tired