MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: instant peep sights

Boolit Master

Question instant peep sights

i have some of these little super strong magnets stuck to my fridge.
    i pried one off with a pocket knife and stuck it on my ruger.
    it does not want to move around (i tried banging the gun on my couch to see if it would move)
    i think i am going to paint it black and see how well it works.
    after some web searching i found that i can buy all sorts of ring shaped magnets with different inside/outside diameters.

what do you guys think?

Boolit Master
    BTW
    i only shoot targets and i love going for 100 yard clangers.
    so Field of view is not an issue.

Boolit Buddy
    unclebill,

I think that I would be sure to wear a pair of safety glasses when I tried this, but yes I would try it too. Recoil from a .44 might decide to send the magnet flying.

Be careful.

Steve

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
    unclebill,

I think that I would be sure to wear a pair of safety glasses when I tried this, but yes I would try it too. Recoil from a .44 might decide to send the magnet flying.

Be careful.

Steve
    i will be careful.
    but i seriously doubt if it will even shift.
    these things are incredibly powerful.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    That is one idea that is new to me. I figured on a washer superglued to the rear sight.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

And how many of us see that same sight picture????
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

"what do you guys think?"

I THINK that aperture sights on a handgun have the same utility for a shooter as a mountain bike does for a trout (Thanks, Al...great analogy).

Such "sights" fly in the face of every optical principle that makes aperture sights ON A RIFLE so valuable

-They are NOT close to the eye.

-They do NOT subtract an object that has to be aligned with other objects. That is, there are still THREE elements requiring alignment...on a rifle the aperture sight reduces this to two....the front sight and the target.

-They OBSCURE even more of the field-of-view than normal open sights.

- They do NOT allow the eye to self-center, as a rifle-mounted aperture does.

This idea for aperture sights on handguns goes the rounds every couple of months, it seems, somewhere on the 'net. For those who actually understand the proper use of aperture sights, it's a constant source of bemusement. There is simply NO redeeming quality to such rigs; they are inferior in all respects UNLESS you cozy up so close to the rear sight that one's face is endangered by the recoil.

I THINK such items should be buried and forgotten.

-
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

I THINK that aperture sights on a handgun have the same utility for a shooter as a mountain bike does for a trout (Thanks, Al...great analogy).

Such "sights" fly in the face of every optical principle that makes aperture sights ON A RIFLE so valuable

-They do NOT subtract an object that has to be aligned with other objects. That is, there are still THREE elements requiring alignment...on a rifle the aperture sight reduces this to two....the front sight and the target.

This idea for aperture sights on handguns goes the rounds every couple of months, it seems, somewhere on the 'net. For those who actually understand the proper use of aperture sights, it's a constant source of bemusement. There is simply NO redeeming quality to such rigs; they are inferior in all respects UNLESS you cozy up so close to the rear sight that one's face is endangered by the recoil.

-
    thank you for your gentle response.

good thing you dont have to like it huh?

i guess the owner of the firearm below is a delusional idiot..
    Last edited by unclebill; 03-10-2011 at 05:03 PM.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    There is simply NO redeeming quality to such rigs; they are inferior in all respects UNLESS you cozy up so close to the rear sight that one's face is endangered by the recoil.

-

Wow! Well, my grandfather said that everything and everyone has some redeeming value if you can find it.

The (I'll avoid the aggravating term here) "ringed" handgun sight allows more light around the front sight than any sight ever made. So it performs in low light situations longer than other open sights or better in dark woods. And it does this without a colored or fire sight. For guys like me that don't want to bother with scopes on a handgun, this is an option.

It doesn't seem very precision as far away as it is, but comparison shooting will make you scratch your head, especially as you become used to it.

The only real disadvantage I experience with one is my proficiency beyond direct POA / POI. It .... wants for longer range use. But this is a limitation with pee ...... (excuse me) ringed sights.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Banned
    I shot Contenders for years and used silhouette sights on Super 14's and never did I see anyone using a aperature sight on a short sight radius handgun.

The aperature is only helpful when used close to the eye, otherwise it's nothing more than looking through a hole. Sure, there are guys who will try anything and swear it works but an aperature on a handgun sight is like looking through a scope without the lens............no benefit.

Boolit Master
    hmm
    hey bruce
    how do you REALLY feel?
    dont hold back now.
    i can take it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Sure, there are guys who will try anything and swear it works.

i will try anything.
    and i will try this.
    if it doesnt work
    i hereby promise to come to this thread and swear it doesnt work.
    hows that?

UncleBill, it actually looks worth trying. I love aperture sights on rifle, and a wide aperture rear handgun sight would be worth a try too.

I'd love to know how this works out, please keep us informed and ignore the naysayers. I have seen silhouette sights with a rear peep aperture on a Super 14 Contender barrel, so it has been done commercially before.

If you decide you don't want the magnet, I am happy to pay shipping for it

I tried aperture sights years ago while shooting handgun silhouette. It did enable me to shoot slightly better groups but during competition, it was very difficult to keep track of which target was to be engaged. For me, it was not successful.

-
    +1 I have tried them on different handguns over the years and I couldnt agree more. You push that sight 20+ inches away from your face and it is just about useless.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master

Give it a go unclebill - it just might work for you. I know for a fact that with my "ole" eyes these work damn well better for me than irons and the only thing better is a 0.5 oz red dot. Keep both eyes open & you're good to go.
    Last edited by ole 5 hole group; 11-16-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclebill View Post
    i will try anything.
    and i will try this.
    if it doesnt work
    i hereby promise to come to this thread and swear it doesnt work.
    hows that?
    i herby swear that the holes in my magnets are too little.