Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: 357 mag

Boolit Grand Master

357 mag

I am buying my son a 357 mag blackhawk for his 21st birthday
    eventually we will get a mold for it so what weight is a good all around hunting boolit in that cal
    also can 38 specials be fired in all 357 mags ?
    Thanks
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Moderator Emeritus

Yes to question #2. I like the 358477 in 38 special and 357 for target shooting and small game. The 180 fn copy that is run on a group buy regularly or the one by LBT are great large game bullets.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    HI,
    You will love that gun.
    Yes you can shoot 38 specials in it.
    I started with a 158 gr. PB bullet, shot 1,000's, went too a 160 gr. gc shot a bunch,
    both these will kill deer just fine at 50yds.
    Am now using a 180gr. gc. like it a lot. wanted a heavier bullet if I had a bear crawl into my tent with me.
    Am using the 158 gr. in the 38 "s now exclusively.
    Am using the 180 in the 357 exclusively.
    So the i60 gr gc mold is for sale.

Boolit Master
    I have the LBT 180 grgc and am just starting to work with it in my BH. When Veral cut the mold i had him set it up to feed thru a Marlin. If you go with the LBT it might be somthing to consider. You loose a little powder capacity but not much. Veral may even cut 2 crimp groves if you want him to.

With either the Marlin or my .357 Handi Rifle and this bullet you do not want to be a milk jug or walking on my fighting side at 200 yards.Very accurate.

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 07-02-2020 at 10:00 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Grand Master
    so it looks as though 160 is the weight for hunting boolits in the 357 ???
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

most opinions fall somewhere between 150 gr and 180 gr.

the 158 gr 360640 found here http://www.brp.castpics.net/P1.html gets a lot of praise from many users.

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman 358429 is excellent, as is RCBS 38-150-SWC (formerly 38-150-KT) and Lyman's
    150 gr 358477. Lee's LBT style 358-158 RF is a great design, too. All of these are accurate
    in multiple .357 and .38s for me.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    HI,
    Jerry Lister has killed over 100 deer at 50yds. or less with the 158 gr. of a SWC design type. So it works.
    Heavier bullets work as well.
    AS ALWAYS BULLET PLACEMENT IS KING.

Quote Originally Posted by 123.DieselBenz View Post
    I like MiHec's crammer version of the 359640 about 158 gr HP, and 170gr solid

Talked about here . . . http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=90352

Miha's webpage http://www.mp-molds.com/index.php?pr=E_-_shop the last time a few months ago I mentioned this, Miha said he was all out, but his website shows he has them . . . maybe he does, maybe not, contact him and see, I've never heard of anybody being disappointed in one of his molds!
    Wow! That is a pretty mold!
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Boolit Grand Master

Miha makes VERY nice molds.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    And some fine photography as well.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I love this hp bullet that this mold makes. My 4" model 27 delivers these in 1380fps. Shot it in ransom rest, and all 6 in one bigger hole
    Last edited by rogsir; 03-07-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    123.DB
    I wanted that mold but Miha didn't have any available very nice
    I though I could use it in my 358 win as well
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

you mean you still don't have a mold for that .357 I prefer casting solids however there are guys on here that can make them work wonderfully. If you end up with a hp mold sixshot has a easy and very effective formula for mixing your alloy

My Winchester 94 Legacy will feed every .357 boolit I have tried in it including the RCBS 35-200-FN. My choice for hunting, and full power use is the Lyman 358156 gas check mold. It can be driven much faster than the 180's can, and will penetrate anything I care to shoot with it. I have carried it deer hunting, but haven't had the opportunity to use it on them yet. The boolit, and rifle are very accurate for a pistol caliber carbine. For every day shooting, plinking, etc. I really like the Lee 358-158-RF. It shoots very well in all my .357 guns, and is great for light to medium power loads. I haven't tried the plain base at 1700 fps yet, and probably won't since the Lyman boolit shoots so well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 357 Legacy 001.jpg   357 Legacy 002.jpg   357 Legacy 003.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master
    I am a BIG fan of Lyman #358156 in the 357 Magnum. It is easily my favorite 357 boolit. I have run it well past 1500 FPS in a Bisley Blackhawk I have, though that might be gilding the lily just a bit. It stays accurate at those velocities, too.

On those occasions when setting off earthquakes with muzzle blast is not appropriate, I tone things down with the 156 or down-load #358429. These fit fine in the BisHawk or 686, but are over-length in N-frame 357s. #358477 would be a fine plain-based choice in that application.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.