RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention Dillon Owners

Attention Dillon Owners

here is a new way to adjust your powder bars

I made the mold from a block of wood, then filled it with hot glue over the adjustment bolt head, I used a 1 inch Forstner bit and drilled 1/2 inch deep. it would be prettier if the mold was metal, but wood works also
    TexRebel

"A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one."
    Alexander Hamilton

Great idea!!! I am going to the shop right now.

P.S. did I mention you need to remove the adjustment bolt from the powder bar
    TexRebel

"A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one."
    Alexander Hamilton

Boolit Man
    Nice, I might have to something for my 550. Thanks

You can also go to home depot and in the small nuts and bolts section you can find a black or white flowerette knob that you simply push onto the 5/16th bolt head. Just put a dab of 5 min epoxy on the inside of the knob and push it on the bolt and good to go. They are about 3 bucks each. You can even draw a white or black arrow on the front to remind you which way to go to add more powder or subtract.

Home Depot part number is 222-840 made by Paulin.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

I use the plastic snap on one working up loads. Once I have everything where I want it, snap it off so everything stays put.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range GARCIA's Avatar
    Here is the link to the item:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Makes life so much easier!!

Tom

Boolit Master

I remember someone emailing Dillon and asking why they didn't put a knob on in the first place.

reply: they didn't what something that would 'invite' visitors to turn it as they walked by the owner's press. Sounds a bit fishy to me...
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter64 View Post
    You can also go to home depot and in the small nuts and bolts section you can find a black or white flowerette knob that you simply push onto the 5/16th bolt head. Just put a dab of 5 min epoxy on the inside of the knob and push it on the bolt and good to go. They are about 3 bucks each. You can even draw a white or black arrow on the front to remind you which way to go to add more powder or subtract.

Home Depot part number is 222-840 made by Paulin.

There must be at least 6 different styles of knobs to fit that charge bar for sale on E-bay. I know...I bought a set of blues ones that look like the knob in the pic. IIRC about $5 a pair

I remember someone emailing Dillon and asking why they didn't put a knob on in the first place.

reply: they didn't what something that would 'invite' visitors to turn it as they walked by the owner's press.
    That is why I snap mine off once I have it set.

Boolit Grand Master

Actually, Dillon's concern sounds resonable to me. Give somebody (a kid, for example) a knob and they
    are likely to twiddle it. Could be VERY bad.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Actually, Dillon's concern sounds resonable to me. Give somebody (a kid, for example) a knob and they
    are likely to twiddle it. Could be VERY bad.

Bill
    My kids, while young, know better than to fiddle with my reloading tools, much less enter my shop without me present. Besides if you are an experienced loader you should be quality checking you loads every primer tube recharge and every time you come back to your machine from leaving it you should check your settings anyway. If not you are asking for trouble.
    I dont by Dillons excuse, I mean every powder measure on the face of the earth can be adjusted by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by akajun View Post
    ....if you are an experienced loader you should be quality checking you loads every primer tube recharge and every time you come back to your machine from leaving it you should check your settings anyway. If not you are asking for trouble. ...
    I agree, setting and forgetting, is asking for trouble too. I end up adjusting mine, and then the next time I load, I end up adjusting some more.. the knobs just make it easier..
    The only thing I don't like about the plastic ones, is they come off to easily... guess I need to glue them on...

Boolit Master

Buy 'em in bulk!

McMaster-Carr has the same knobs in black, gray, red or yellow for $4.75 for 10!

You want the 5/16 Rosette knobs. They work great! Search for "Press-Fit Plastic Thumb Screw Heads" or try searching by part number "94052A343." That is for the red ones. Shipping wasn't bad either. I think I got 20 delivered to my door for about $16! The following is a link to the correct web page.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/3081/=b6jnaa

If you have lots of powder measures or lots of friends with Dillon loaders, you can save a lot of money buying them in bulk!

Boolit Mold
    Am I the only person with these adjustment knobs from Dillon.
    I have 4 Dillon press's w/6 Dillon measures and 3 have these knobs and extra powder bars with 1 and 1 spare knob by it's self, all came from Dillon.
    But I don't see them listed with Dillon now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Pictures0001.jpg   My Pictures0002.jpg   My Pictures0003.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jfg View Post
    I have 4 Dillon press's w/6 Dillon measures and 3 have these knobs and extra powder bars with 1 and 1 spare knob by it's self, all came from Dillon.

If I had to guess...??? I'd say your a BIG fan of Dillon's..???...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jfg View Post
    Cool! I've seen LOTS of Dillon stuff over the years and NEVER have I seen those knobs. Very cool. How are they atached? Allen screw?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez Kelly View Post
    Cool! I've seen LOTS of Dillon stuff over the years and NEVER have I seen those knobs. Very cool. How are they atached? Allen screw?
    Instead of using a bolt, there is a stud with a nut, used as a lock nut for the knob, where the bolt head normally is. Also has a set screw in the knob, the knob just slides on the stud. I think the nut is just used as a spacer or stop.
    Last edited by jfg; 02-25-2011 at 07:19 PM.

Boolit Master

They look like the knobs off of radio tuners and the like. Maybe Radio Shack (you need help?, we want to sell you a phone) would have something like them
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez Kelly View Post
    McMaster-Carr has the same knobs in black, gray, red or yellow for $4.75 for 10!

You want the 5/16 Rosette knobs. They work great! Search for "Press-Fit Plastic Thumb Screw Heads" or try searching by part number "94052A343." That is for the red ones. Shipping wasn't bad either. I think I got 20 delivered to my door for about $16! The following is a link to the correct web page.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/3081/=b6jnaa

If you have lots of powder measures or lots of friends with Dillon loaders, you can save a lot of money buying them in bulk!
    By the way, all my powder measures that don't have the knobs I posted above, have 7/16" bolt heads, which is what most 1/4" bolts have.
    These bolts are all 1/4" x 28 tpi.