WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a new M92 clone. My first!

Super Moderator

Getting a new M92 clone. My first!

...............Well I went and did it . I'd been thinking about it off and on for several months and today I had some running around to do so took a trip to the gunstore to see what they had. I ended up ordering a Win 92 repro from Taylors. It has a blued 24" tapered octagon bbl, color casehardened action, walnut stock and a blued cresent buttplate.

I can pick it up Saturday the 11th, but I have to work. Unless I get up early and go pick it up I'll have to wait till Tuesday afternoon. I can barely stand the wait as it is now ! Oh yeah, it's chambered in 45 Colt. They did have a really nice Oliver Winchester commemorative M94 in 38-55, but at $1500, it was a bit rich for me!

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    I have a rossi clone in 45 Colt and love it. It is lighter in weight than either of my Marlin or Uberti Henry rifles in that caliber and shoots just as well. I use it mostly for cowboy shooting at close range loaded with 5.5 gr of Red dot and a 200 gr RNFP cast bullet. However, I have made up some hunting loads consisting of 25 gr of W296 and a 255 gr keith style SWC. Worked like a champ on a deer two years ago and interestingly I used the same sight setting as for my cowboy load except that I zeroed it at 100 yards. Those 92 clones are nice.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    That's a mean load Nick, I use that in my NMSBH. Boy, you know when you let rip with it! It is a recommended load from Winchester as well. Actually they recommend 25Gns 296 for Jacketed and 26Gns for lead! I use 25 because it works in my auto disk. On a cold winter's morning where I live, it feels like getting the cane in school! MIck.

PS, Buckshot, you are gonna love your 92! Slicke rthan frog snot!!!!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

Drool==slobber--etc.

Boy o boy.
    That sounds like a treasure. After about 3 rounds thru it your bolts will start gathering dust. Hope you get a chance to post a pic.

Snailmail should be getting there soon.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good on ya, Rick!

The Finance Manager authorized another purchase by me, too. Something about "getting Christmas taken care of early", like I'm some sort of management problem. I'm about surprised, plus. Weighing the options here.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

I've got .357 Puma and a .454 and I love them both. Might try a deer with the .454 this year if I walk, and a bolt action if I'm on a stand. The .454 with a 400 Gr. cast bullet and Lil gun to push it out is very accurate and is in the 45/70 power range.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Boolit Master

Amen to what Pepe said, but in my case, the bolt guns can't gather dust, if you get rid of them to get more single shots and levers.

Isn't it amazing how well these old cartridges shoot. It's no wonder why the guns were in production over 100 years. And "They are a pleasure to shoot"

Rick,
    Does that mean you'll be at IF&G Saturday or Sunday?

Have Fun Shooting,
    Jon

Retired to South Carolina for the grandkids!

Thumbs up

Congrats. Pics would be great, and how it shoots too.

And a take down model?? Whichever one you're getting, another request to let us know how it does and pics!

Last edited by Poohgyrr; 11-05-2006 at 11:45 AM.
    John
    Winchester ‘92s & 94s

“President JFK 20 Jan 1961: “the rights of man come not from the generosity of the state, but from the hand of God.”

"Life brings us sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

Congrats on that 92 Buckshot. They are easy to slick up and are great STRONG leveraction for pistol length cartridges. The Rossi's are anyway. Congrats! Oh yea, post some picts!!!
    [SIGPIC]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/stevensavage/avatars/reloadnPalacescriptresized.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Congrats on that 92 Buckshot. They are easy to slick up and are great STRONG leveraction for pistol length cartridges. The Rossi's are anyway. Congrats! Oh yea, post some picts!!!
    Looks like your avatar finally wore ole BuckShot down Steve...

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    They are nice units, I bought a 44Mag stainless and it is a great rifle, however I have trouble seeing the sights as the 'gold' coloured bead disappears on me and the 357 that you see me using in my avitar, is a real cheapie that I bought as a spare for beginners and a back up for me was promoted into my main rifle when the 66 went down. They are as slick as frog snot and hell for stout. Mick.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Hi Buck !
    your rifle sounds beautiful. Pity we can't get the same here.
    Still, I'm happy with my blued .44 Rossi 20" and my wife loves her .357 Rossi 16".
    I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with your purchase.

Kirby.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrut View Post
    Looks like your avatar finally wore ole BuckShot down Steve...
    HAHAHAHA I'd like to think so and those picts of my Rossi's I keep posting. He just couldnt take it anymore. I just checked out the Taylors website and the 92 it shows is a takedown model and is right out BEAUTIFUL!!!. Is yours a takedown model Buckshot? Picts please!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/stevensavage/avatars/reloadnPalacescriptresized.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Banned

WooooHoooo on the 92 Rick! Can't wait to see some pics...

Retired to South Carolina for the grandkids!

Thumbs up

Taylor's website does have some good looking Levers, and a takedown would fit real well in a case I have. I was looking forward to one of the new Winchester 38-55 takedowns in the last catalog.. And I'm still trying to save for a beadblasted stainless Rossi from Nate. And a few others that you guys have posted about between here and the LeverGuns Forum.

And our groupbuys.... (brownbagging lunch & coffee never looked so good ).

Looking forward to reading about this Taylor.

And I guess all these sweet Levers keep my a grin on my old face....

Last edited by Poohgyrr; 11-05-2006 at 06:57 PM.
    John
    Winchester ‘92s & 94s

“President JFK 20 Jan 1961: “the rights of man come not from the generosity of the state, but from the hand of God.”

"Life brings us sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    Poohgyrr........Maybe if we are lucky Miroku will build us a 94 TD in 38-55........that would be one hell of a rifle.....

Buckshot
    Yer gonna like it....lotsa fun....
    Onlyest trouble is ya can't stop with just one...
    Enjoy n Have a Good Un'...
    Regard's John

Does anyone make a 460 S&W in a lever gun? Seems like a reasonable request.
    How hard would it be to rechamber a 454 into a 460 ( my gunsmithing skills are nill ).

And are there any 357 Max levers out there? I've had a hankerin for a Max in something for a long time..
    Lead, it's what killed dinner

Rick

Super Moderator

..............No it's not the takedown model. I won't be at Inland Sat or Sun as I work weekend nights. Since I can pick it up Sat the 11th I think I'll set the alarm for 1500, run up to Yucaipa and pick it up and then I hope to be able to make it back west on the I-10 to Pomona by 1800 for work

Yup, I'll get some photo's up!

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance