WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Press mounted swaging tool?

Boolit Buddy

Press mounted swaging tool?

Does anyone know of a tool that you can mount in a press to swage primer pockets? I like the Dillon, but I'm hoping I can find a cheaper solution.

It seems like a ram could be made with a peice to do it, and a ram could be made to fit inside a threaded die to push on the inside of the case. You'd have to hold the case up until it's inside the die, but it would be pretty simple otherwise...

Boolit Buddy
    Nvm... I just found this.

http://www.cabelas.com/presses-dies-...er-combo.shtml

Exactly what I was thinking about though. I must be a good (albeit chronically late) engineer!

Boolit Master

I have one of those, but bent the rod trying to use it.

I have since switched to the Dillon (am doing 1000 .308 cases now) and haven't looked back.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

Talking

I have one of the RCBS primer pocket swagers and you have to put some kind of lube on the piece that goes into the primer pocket to keep it from sticking.

Boolit Buddy
    I plan on lubing the whole the case to size anyways, so I'm not too worried about the lubing part.

The RCBS tool works really well. Lubing the button is no big deal.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Man
    I went to the hardware store after the large rod bent and bought a long bolt with the same thread pitch (1/4 x 28 x 4" I believe.) and cut the head off,dressed the end and have not had a problem since. If you have or know someone that has a lathe then the small rod can be done this way as well.
    I also had to make a small .064 thick shim to help the case stripper pop the case off of the swaging button.It just slides over the ram of my Lyman Crusher II.
    If I had the money there would be a Dillon Super Swage 600 on my bench. However, the RCBS method is effective and inexpensive and will have to do for now.
    INFIDEL 4 LIFE

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the comments. At 1/3 the cost of the Dillon 600, it's worth a try!

I have one and don't like it, I use an RCBS chamfer tool in my cordless drill.

Boolit Buddy
    I should have bought mine off of you then! If you need the space on your reloading bench, I'd still be willing to help you get rid of it (for a small fee of course. )

Boolit Master

Check with CH4D -- They make a primer pocket swager for standard presses, like the RC, etc. Sells for approx. $22 plus shipping.

http://www.ch4d.com/

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Roundnoser View Post
    Check with CH4D -- They make a primer pocket swager for standard presses, like the RC, etc. Sells for approx. $22 plus shipping.

http://www.ch4d.com/
    I use the CH4D unit. It works well.

Boolit Buddy
    I have both the RCBS and the Dillon.

They both work.

The RCBS is cheaper, The Dillon is much quicker.

My herter primer pocket swage cost $2.95 -- still going strong --

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up an RCBS Combo pocket swaging tool this weekend...

What a PITA!

Firstly, it doens't fit over the ram in my Lee Classic Turret, and RCBS wants $7.25 for the one that WILL fit my press, and secondly it's a super slow to line up every case to go up and around the bar in the the press.

I MIGHT keep it to do the occasional 9mm case, but I have a feeling I'll be borrowing a Dillon swager and making an evening of my pile o' brass...

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by CiDirkona View Post

What a PITA!

Firstly, it doens't fit over the ram in my Lee Classic Turret, and RCBS wants $7.25 for the one that WILL fit my press, and secondly it's a super slow to line up every case to go up and around the bar in the the press.

I MIGHT keep it to do the occasional 9mm case, but I have a feeling I'll be borrowing a Dillon swager and making an evening of my pile o' brass...
    The RCBS is slow for sure. That's why I stepped up to the Dillon about 20 years ago.

Life is too short to swage 9 MM cases. I'll sell them for scrap before I'll decrimp one. LC 556 is a different story though....

Greg
    The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

Quote Originally Posted by CiDirkona View Post

What a PITA!

First of all, you don't need that knock off cup to remove the shell from the bottom plug. Just roll the neck around in a circle to work the shell off. It really doesn't take much effort. On my Breechlock Challenger, the spent primer box prevents the cup from working, but I could have made a platform out of a block of wood, just use a Dremmel tool to rout out a channel.

I found it easiest to simply slip the shell into the top die and bring up the ram to catch the primer pocket. Much easier.

Boolit Master
    Also have the Dillon 600 and the RCBS, they both work well, can't say one is any faster or better than the other. Though I think the RCBS is less expensive. I bought the Dillon, don't know how I came to have the RCBS, it just showed up on my die shelf.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
    I found it easiest to simply slip the shell into the top die and bring up the ram to catch the primer pocket. Much easier.
    This is MUCH easier -- thank you for the tip! Might actually make this thing worth saving!

Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
    First of all, you don't need that knock off cup to remove the shell from the bottom plug. Just roll the neck around in a circle to work the shell off. It really doesn't take much effort.
    I'm not sure why mine's so difficult, but after 20-30 primer pockets swaged and removed with brute force, I think I may end up investing that $7 in the cup that fits my press. Still no Dillon 600, but for the price, I'm sure it'll do.

After seeing this video too, I've got quite a bit more enthusiasm to get the right ejector cup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyUxXYwqtlM

Boolit Buddy
    I called RCBS back today to buy the ejector cup thing today, and they sent it to me for no charge! Nice!