Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pennies?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper488 View Post
    I'd be in real trouble if they really worried about it, I smashed hundreds of pennies on the train tracks behind the house when I was a kid. Come to think of it all the touristy places have hand cranked machines to smash pennies into memorabilia, I've got three from the Navy Pier in Chicago now.
    The trick shooters that shoot coins out of the air may have to watch out then too

Maybe they could use KO slugs from electrical boxes instead.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A penny cost 1.5 cents to make......... I agree.. it would be a lot easier to get zinc wheel weights. The problem with Zinc seems to be to get consistent fillout without voids. That makes me wonder if it wouldn't work best with some sort of injection process or by swagging.

Boolit Master
    I have been saving my solid copper pennies in a jug. I dont know what I am going to do with them, but I am still saving them.
    They make nice targets for the 50 yard range
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

The copper pennies will be collectable like the silver coins are now.

i am no lawyer, nor the police, or involved with the gov't in any way. but what you do in your home, with your money, while no one is watching, seems like it should be your business. i have drilled several pennies to use as washers in a pinch. i don't think they are ideal, but it was way better than driving 40 miles on a sunday afternoon for a few washers. by the same token, i wouldn't go buy a couple of buckets of wheel weights just to get enough zinc to melt down for a few trial bullets. pennies are cheap, just do it!
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.

Quote Originally Posted by XWrench3 View Post
    i have drilled several pennies to use as washers in a pinch. i don't think they are ideal, but it was way better than driving 40 miles on a sunday afternoon for a few washers.

Ive dont it too. They are cheaper than at the hardware store too.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Boolit Mold
    Rememeber what people said about Samuel Colt and his pistols

God made man and Sam Colt made em equal

If we cast with pennies they are all stamped with "In God We Trust"!! We've gone FULL CIRCLE!!

Dan

melt aluminum/candy?

Quote Originally Posted by chris in va View Post
    Hmm, just read that zinc melt will eat aluminum like candy. I have a 45acp mold I'm not using anymore, might be worth trying just for the heck of it.

Bottom line though, we're all gonna have to find a different material to cast with soon.
    how does it melt aluminum? isnt the heat different by hundreds of degrees , i would like to see the article if you know where it is thanks badbobgerman... p.s. in kalifornia, zinc is becoming plentifull in ww's

Boolit Master

Zinc will stick to aluminum so it can tear up a mold it would be best to use a steel mold to cast zinc bullets. Zinc is harder and lighter than lead and bullets have been made of it in the past.

I have not heard of anyone happy with zinc bullets yet, are there any desenting voices out there?
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy

Has anyone here successfully used a penny for a gas check? I was thinking of either using a press to form a penny thick gas check and maybe get a custom mold made with the gas check base as a smaller diameter than normal. 1 cent gas checks sound better than the 3 - 4 cent ones for 44 cal.

Quote Originally Posted by beerloaf View Post
    Has anyone here successfully used a penny for a gas check?
    I think that would probably fall into the overkill category. You would need a hydraulic press to form it. With the money you spend on the press, it would be a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time before you started saving money
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I'd love to see the old Death Valley Days shows again!
    I'd rather see The American Sportsman with Curt Gowdy

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    Zinc will stick to aluminum so it can tear up a mold it would be best to use a steel mold to cast zinc bullets. Zinc is harder and lighter than lead and bullets have been made of it in the past.

I have not heard of anyone happy with zinc bullets yet, are there any desenting voices out there?
    I've cast about 100 zinc bullets in a Lee aluminum mold. The only reason I don't do many is because cutting the spue takes a lot of force. Also, don't use a Lee factory crimp die.

For the zinc, I used a special version of Zamak-3. Zamak-3 is make for high pressure casting. The special version I use is made & sold by Belmont. There name for is is Superdie. Melted zinc doesn't flow well & I doubt is use pennies would work well. This is based on 20 years of casting zinc commercially.

I'd happily use zinc bullets if I every had a mold that made cutting the spue easy.

Boolit Master

All you need to squish pennies is a train . . . put them on a couple times . . . besides . . . we use to do it for fun!
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Mold
    A little off topic here but how do you tell a zinc ww from a lead one. I have over 500 lbs of ww's sitting in my shop but I'm not positive what they are made of. The tire guy gave them to me free and they are brand new, never used he just old me they were the wrong ones and he couldn't use them and shipping to return them was more than they were worth so I could have all I wanted, I wanted them all. Is there a simple way to tell the two metals apart?

Boolit Master
    Lead weights can be cut with dikes. Zinc will give you a hyena trying to cut.
    Also zinc will react with muratic acic. Most zinc weights have Zn stamped somewhere.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Considering zinc was trading at around 97 cents a pound this week, I don't know if I would be too picky, if it was available real cheap.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

perotter I have melted and poured zinc pennies for my son's science project the metal flows well much like lead. I was making strips for use in making batteries he got a A for it.

The reason we can pour zinc into Aluminium molds is that A) the zinc cools quickly B) because many of us have smoked or otherwise treated our mold cavities which gives a thin barrier between the to metals. If the zinc is hot enough I have heard of molds be damaged but have never witnessed it. It is also possible to solder brass molds together with lead but have never witnessed it. I did cast some of that zinc from my kids project in a Lyman mold the bullets looked fine and if I remember correctly were 60% lighter than lead. I never loaded them and shot them from slingshot for which they worked well.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

firefly1957 It is good to know that the zinc from pennies can be cast. But, with all due respect, a strips & a bullet is a very simple shape to cast. Zinc won't back flow or fill as easily as lead.

Figure, as a rule of the thump, 63% lighter.

Boolit Master
    Zinc is not 63 % lighter than lead. If it was a 100 grain lead bullet would weigh 37 grains when cast in zinc.

It is 60-63% as heavy as lead. A 100 grain bullet weighs 63 grains when cast in zinc.