RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Educate me about turret presses

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff423 View Post
    Mike,

I'm sure your numbers are right. Do you think it makes any practical difference in speed?
    25% is significant....again it is false economy to under value your time.....

on the other side of the coin...do what you enjoy......

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

I can only speak for myself here. But at least for me speed reloading is not the name of the game. I am there to make good ammo and relax doing it.

What the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press does for me is it gives me convenience that I do not have to change the die for each use on the cartridge. Also I can leave the die's set up in the turret head. And I can change out the turret head in seconds.

So at least for myself in the end it is more a convenience than anything else along with good loaded ammo in the end.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Man
    Well Jeff, I guess the bottom line here is preference.If i had a turret press i would loan it to you for a week so you could make a decision based on experience. I do not dislike turret presses and have considered getting a Redding T7, but in your case i think i would keep my Coax and maybe consider adding a turret later because lets face it,neither a turret press or your Coax is ever going to outdistance your Dillon no matter how fast you pull the lever.
    INFIDEL 4 LIFE

Thanks John,

After reading all the posts I'm persuaded that a turret might be slightly faster than a single stage, but not enough to make a meaningful difference. But like you say if speed is the answer a true progressive is the way to go.
    I have gotten an "education" on turret presses and now have a better appreciation of their operation. For my reloading they don't offer enough of an advantage over a single stage to justify getting one.

FWIW: That RCBS cutter head is great and does an excellent job of trimming, deburring and chamfering. You can try mine if you want to.

Jeff

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff423 View Post
    FWIW: That RCBS cutter head is great and does an excellent job of trimming, deburring and chamfering. You can try mine if you want to.

Jeff
    Too late , i already bought one at Cabelas and i'm thinking about going and getting the .30 cal too just so as i don't have to readjust it every time i change calibers. And i agree that it's a HUGE time saver and does an excellent job.But thank you though.
    INFIDEL 4 LIFE

Boolit Master
    I like the Lee turrent as I can set up a set of dies, powder measure and once I get the load dialed in than the setup is allways the same. I keep one setup for 45acp, one for 357 and soon will have a setup for .223. whenever i want to load I just can setup in a couple minutes and am ready to go. No adjusting dies, setting up a powder measure,... Just loading. With the Lee setup I can install the case, and with 4 strokes of the lever am done. Decap, prime, charge, seat and crimp.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post

Could you explain how the P200 and its larger brother work? Their web site doesn't adequately explain. Do you manually advance the shellholder like the Dillon 550B?
    Kevin--

My apologies for not getting back to you in more timely fashion. Distractions in three dimensions around here lately.

You are correct, the shell holder is manually-advanced under the die array overhead. My typical array is to have the priming sleeve in place at the front-most pivot position, with a primer in place. The front-most die station has the sizer die adjusted for case sizing and decapping.

The shell holder's position "at rest" is one die station/pivot point to my left (facing the machine). This die station has a Lyman Multi-Expander Die in place, with proper stem and expander spud adjusted and powder measure screwed into place and set to pour the proper charge.

The second-left die station has the seater die installed and adjusted for seating and (in the case of revo rounds) roll-crimping.

I'm in the middle of a run of 38 Specials right now. I'm right-handed, if that matters. I pre-size/lube my boolits (Lyman #358429s) and set them to the machine's left on a paper towel. My empty/fired cases are set between the boolit stacks just to the left of the machine, with a 50-count cartridge box (or coffee can) just behind the empty cases.

I grab an empty case and insert it into the shell holder, then pivot it to the right as I raise the press ram a bit. A detent stop indicates the pivot is centered under the size die, I give a slight push to the case to confirm its full insertion/contact with shell holder, and finish the press ram upstroke to size and decap the case. On the downstroke out of the sizer die, I seat the case's new primer.

Raising the press ram again, I begin and complete a pivot right to the next detent stop--confirm case placement in the shell holder--and complete the press ram upstroke which expands and flares the case mouth. My left hand runs the powder measure at this time. I lower the press ram, and while doing so pivot the shell holder one more stop to the left.

Here I place a bullet on the case mouth (love the M-Die!) and raise the press ram. Cartridge completed. Total time about 15-20 seconds, at a leisurely pace.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.