WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: how many of you

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range HammerMTB's Avatar
    I am never far from armed defense. Since I go places every day that preclude open carry, sometimes it is more trouble than others to remain vigilant. I also think a pistol is a good way to fight your way to your long arm, so in the house the sidearm is second choice. The what, where, how and when are for personal conversation, not internet musings.

white eagle, if you are tense about carry, give it some time and turn your intensity to your benefit. Check your situational awareness and be sure of your surroundings. After a while you don't think of it consciously so much as remain aware that you have means to defend yourself and family if/when the need should arise.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I have a J-frame Smith I carry around most of the time. My biggest concern with it is that I will accidentally walk into my workplace with it (aginst the rules). It's very comfortable to carry in my pocket and I've gotten to the point where its extra weight feels normal in my pocket. I literally forget its there, but I KNOW it's there if I need it.

I also have a Smith 686 in a safe on the floor next to the chair in the TV room. Electronic lock, not much more than two seconds to open it.

If I had bigger pockets I'd carry a bigger gun, but a +P .38 is nothing to sneeze at. During the first half of the 20th century most cops carried a .38, but it wasn't a +P. Sure, in retrospect they probably should have been packing more iron, but they got the job done, nonetheless. I'm hoping that if I'm ever forced to pull the J-frame that its presence alone, will ward off the attackers. If not, I don't feel too undergunned.

Anyway, the little J has allowed me to be armed more often than I used to be.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

I rarely "carry" at home, more out of relative lack of crime in my town than comfort. But, I am within mere seconds of a loaded Glock. When I outta my "castle" however, I am normally armed. And I never head out in the sticks without a piece on my hip.
    When at home, my biggest concern is what goes bump in the night when I am most vulnerable, sleeping. So, I keep a pistol and flashlight within arms reach in the bedroom...
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

I believe Crash Corrigan mentioned that he carries from the moment his pants go on in the morning, I wanted to echo these sentiments as I am the same way. I carry either a S&W M&P.45 or a Glock 23 in .40 S&W in a strong side holster. Whoops, I shouldn't have said what I own for fear that some government agent/agency monitoring this thread might use the above-mentioned information in an attempt to grab my guns when the blue-helmets come marching in to my county!
    Either way, I also carry a spare magazine and a flashlight on my weak side. I am never caught without my pistol. I don't shop at places that don't allow me to carry and I rarely, if ever, go into buildings that don't allow me to carry either, such as Government buildings! Cops around here know I carry. Some like it and some don't. Regardless of what their opinion is, my safety means more to me than being politically correct! I don't care what you think, I know I will be able to at least make an attempt at ensuring my safety in the event that anything happens!

Paladin, in regards to your signature lines, Thank you for your service!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 40sandwfan View Post
    ..... Crash Corrigan mentioned that he carries from the moment his pants go on in the morning.....
    .....Paladin, in regards to your signature lines, Thank you for your service!!
    Same here, on BOTH comments!

Boolit Master
    As an Australian can I just ask without causing offence,is crime so bad in the US that you have to be armed everywhere you go even if your just watching TV or do you carry a firearm just because it's your legal right?. Pat

Boolit Grand Master
    here here
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    As an Australian can I just ask without causing offence,is crime so bad in the US that you have to be armed everywhere you go even if your just watching TV or do you carry a firearm just because it's your legal right?. Pat
    Depends. In some places here in America, the answer could easily be both--Detroit comes to mind, as does Philadelphia, and most large inner-cities where politicians are liberal minorities and their constituents are career criminals.

Just as with your country, the liberal wackies are responsible for most ills. Our liberals here tend to blame the victims rather than the criminals for most crimes committed.

Home invasions and car jackings tend to become issues. In Dallas, there was a bit of a rash of home invasions occurring, then some of the home-invaders began getting shot and killed, and now the trend is back down.

In urban areas, I carry a gun to defend against the two-legged varmints; in the rural areas, I carry to defend against the four-legged varmints and those that slither on the ground (no, not the elected leaders ).

Mainly, lot of folks carry because it is a Constitutional Right--and if you don't exercise it and promote it, the liberal loonies will try to take it away from you.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range onesonek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Depends. In some places here in America, the answer could easily be both--Detroit comes to mind, as does Philadelphia, and most large inner-cities where politicians are liberal minorities and their constituents are career criminals.

Just as with your country, the liberal wackies are responsible for most ills. Our liberals here tend to blame the victims rather than the criminals for most crimes committed.

Home invasions and car jackings tend to become issues. In Dallas, there was a bit of a rash of home invasions occurring, then some of the home-invaders began getting shot and killed, and now the trend is back down.

In urban areas, I carry a gun to defend against the two-legged varmints; in the rural areas, I carry to defend against the four-legged varmints and those that slither on the ground (no, not the elected leaders ).

Mainly, lot of folks carry because it is a Constitutional Right--and if you don't exercise it and promote it, the liberal loonies will try to take it away from you.

Indeed,,,,, a ditto from me on all aspects!!!
    Dave

I am too old to 'fight for my life' and I refuse to be a victim. You never know when and where violence will rear up it's ugly head.

A LEO is at least minutes away, that may be too late and I would spend time in a hospital or wind up in the morgue.

20 some years ago I was attacked by a golden retriver, I was young, stupid and in a lot better shape than I am in today. I caught the dog by the sides of his head and threw him against a tree. I can't do that today.

There have been instances where by moving my jactet to the side to 'inadvertantly' show my carry gun that precluded me from getting a butt whooping or worse.

I refuse to be a victim without a fighting chance to survive.

Just my 2 cents worth!
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm right in line with the last three posts.
    A few months back, I was out on my property wearin my .45. A movement caught my eye and it turned out to be a rabid 'coon. He advanced toward me and I drew on him. I hollered and kicked sticks at him, but he continued. I dispatched him.
    I realize I might could have outrun him, but where would I have been had that been a rabid fox or 'yote? That's one of several reasons I carry on a regular basis, even though I'm secluded and isolated from people.
    This ain't Dodge City and I ain't Bill Hickok. But livin' in the boonies like I do, I never know what to expect.

Boolit Master

Sitting at my desk Kel-Tec in right boot, knife in left boot.

........just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean someone is not after me......................

Gibbs Rule #1 -- Never leave the house without a knife................
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    I carry most of the time thanks to Ruger and their LCP. I know it's not much of a gun but it beats harsh words by a good bit. I live in the country and have it with me on the farm all the time also for duty on snakes and/or other nuisances. Since I've started wearing suspenders it's made carrying in general easier. Don't have to constantly tug at my pants anymore.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    As an Australian can I just ask without causing offense,is crime so bad in the US that you have to be armed everywhere you go even if your just watching TV or do you carry a firearm just because it's your legal right?. Pat

The reason I carry is two fold. I carry because I have a right to carry and protect myself. I carry everywhere for the simple fact you just don't know when you will need it. I have lived in Pittsburgh, Pa. for the last 9 months and I cannot tell you how many times i see on T.V. of home invasions. I carry for the simple fact when seconds count the police are minutes away.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    I carry for the simple fact when seconds count the police are minutes away.

Andy
    One of the best of the best reasons.

Boolit Master

Having read only a few of the posts somethings came to mind.
    What do you do if you have small children in the house only one poster said they are locked up.
    How do you teach the kids when it is ok to have a firearm and if necessary use it and when they are better off not even going there?
    Lastly I don't have any firearms right now as my divorce proceedings have cost me everyone I had (a 46 year old collection) to pay to hopefully keep me from ending up homeless. Sad but in this country the man usually takes it in the shorts in a divorce case. Yes I know some ladies have enjoyed my situation themselves, sad situation where one seems to make out in a divorce and the other seems to be the world's biggest loser. take loser any way you like as it most likely fits.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Illegal to carry here in Illinois

I keep my Glock loaded in the house, except when grandkids are coming over.
    I live in a small small town and don't really feel threatened.

There is only one place where I feel uncomfortable.
    There is a bike path close by that connects to another small town and I occasionally take my dogs for a walk there.
    I try to do the walks when no one is on the path because I let my hushy loose so he can run a bit.
    A combination of fields and trees on the sides of the path.
    I get somewhat nervous when I'm out there alone with the dog.
    I'm 63 and more concerned about running into coyotes more than people.

I'm not saying I carry when on the path,which would be illegal, but I'm not saying I don't either.
    As I said I'm usually out there alone and anything can happen.

Would I carry if it was legal, in a heartbeat.
    Paranoid, no, just being realistic in these days.

I currently do not have any young childern at home - but my grandkids do come around.

1. I never told my kids when they were young they couldn't handle a firearm when Mom or Dad was around - forbidden fruits. But they were not allowed to touch them when we weren't around - never when they were young were they left alone - they were locked up in the gun cabinet when we were not at home. To our knowledge they did not 'play with them;.

2. Now with the grand kids (14, 5 and 5). My house guns are all semi autos. Chambers empty and safety on, mag in mag well. The 5 year olds can't work the slides, not strong enough yet. The 14 year old can be trusted not to, but she has been trained with the firearms, but she is not at our house alone.

It works for us.

Drew

Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post
    Having read only a few of the posts somethings came to mind.
    What do you do if you have small children in the house only one poster said they are locked up.
    How do you teach the kids when it is ok to have a firearm and if necessary use it and when they are better off not even going there?
    Lastly I don't have any firearms right now as my divorce proceedings have cost me everyone I had (a 46 year old collection) to pay to hopefully keep me from ending up homeless. Sad but in this country the man usually takes it in the shorts in a divorce case. Yes I know some ladies have enjoyed my situation themselves, sad situation where one seems to make out in a divorce and the other seems to be the world's biggest loser. take loser any way you like as it most likely fits.
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master
    It's always on me. I conceal everywhere it's legal - even at home.

I do keep a judge very close to me in the house....yes I drag it room to room........When I leave my property I carry a
    CH 85 concealed unless I'm in open carry then it is a 3x3 Judge

The neighborhood I live in used to be all old folks like me.....but in the past 10 years, a lot of my friends have died off.....Now I have a convicted thief on one side, a pill head on the other, a crack head across from her, and a dealer three houses down the street. The hood is full of Large pit bulls and boxers, some of which run loose. My wife has been attacked twice on my property. Splash two bogies. The law was called both times and both time the complaintent was told that I have a right to protect my house and family.

Yep....That crazy old fart down the street carries a gun all the time...They ought to put him jail or sumpthin.
    23 rd. Vice President of Old Farts International