Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barbecue Guns...

Barbecue Guns...

Does anyone on here have anything that they would consider to be a Barbecue Gun? I'm in the market for something new, maybe a 1911, and I'm looking for some ideas as to what to do.
    I'm torn right now. If I do a 1911 it'll be a Commander size, but I'm also looking at the Uberti Schofield. I just love that revolver and would give a lung and both kidney's to have one!! Either one will get some of the 'royal treatment' so they'll look really pretty. Whichever one I get will be shot on occasion but I'm still trying to decide.
    Feel free to post some pictures of your Barbecue Guns as I'm highly interested!!

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range HammerMTB's Avatar
    OK, I'll bite- define a bar-B-que gun.
    Izzat the one you used to shoot the meat on the Bar-B?
    Or does it have a crinkle black finish?
    I always keep a truck gun close by, but haven't heard of Bar-B-que guns.

Boolit Master

Skeeter Skelton once wrote a piece about bar-b-que guns.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Though I'm not the best qualified to define bar-b-que guns I think the concept originated in the Republic of Texas . It has to do with a handgun that one likes to brag on and show off at social gatherings . I read Skeeters article once and I would defer to his call on the matter .

Currently the only one I have that might pass muster is a four inch pinned and recessed model twenty-nine that still has a great blue job on it . In the seventies I had one that would have placed in the running though . It was a four inch model nineteen , nickle finish , round butt and Pachmeyer grips and three "T"s . Yes , there are times I kinda wish I still had that one .

I do have a four inch six eighty-six with monogrips that is nice for a second entry but I still like my "N" frame contender

Jack

Boolit Grand Master
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I knew someone would bring that one up White Eagle!
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Grand Master
    NICE, White Eagle!

I have one such sideiron, a gift from a dear friend who resides here--S&W pre-27 x 6.5" engraved to show its initial presentation to the 1959 High Law Enforcement competitor at that year's National Matches. It was fired prior to my receipt, so I continue such activities with it (all you collector/preservationist folks can cuss if you're so inclined). Like all S&Ws of that vintage, it is a delight to fire, and a tackdriver with boolits it likes. It dotes on #358156 atop 13.5 grains of 2400, which duplicates my authorized carry load very closely (W-W 158 JHP), running about 1275 FPS and clustering into nice, round 2" groups at 25 yards in D/A mode.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerMTB View Post
    OK, I'll bite- define a bar-B-que gun.... I always keep a truck gun close by, but haven't heard of Bar-B-que guns.
    I guess there are people who don't know what a barbecue gun is. Sorry, just a little taken aback.
    Let me try and define it. Actually, I know a link that can define it better than I could ever do! "Now, a BBQ gun is a whole different animal. A BBQ gun is what you wear to barbeques, baby christenings, formal balls, and any other place where a fancy jacket or outfit would be worn." (http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2...-bbq-guns.html) Usually a fancy handgun worn to kind of show off a little I guess would be the best way to describe it. They will usually have some engraving on them and be a little fancier than your EDC gun, though they are shot as well.
    Most I've seen are either 1911's and/or SAA's. Patton's SAA would have qualified!!

I'd never heard of a court gun unless it was the one our department issued . They did frown on us going to our trunks and substituting real guns for what they issued too . I liked that last site you gave it was very entertaining .

Jack

Jack,
    I got a kick out of that site too. It was informative, yet entertaining! I even had to copy and paste it so I could save it on my computer!

I go to many BBQs and Pachangas in South Texas and nobody but law enforcement people carry guns. We have no open carry law in Texas, so it would have to be concealed. Anybody who was not LEO, and strutted around with a fancy pistol in the open, among a group of people would be regarded as a nut, even if it was own his own property.

Ergo.. I have no need or desire for a fancy, flashy pistol.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I guess I didn't read that right....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBQ Gun.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	28857

Actually, I boosted that from Paul Zint's website, but it seemed to fit the bill.
    Reading the signs and smelling the roses on my journey to that undiscovered country from whose bourn no traveler returns.

Boolit Master
    Chargar:

When I get together with my uncles on the ranch it is very common for all six of us to have a sidearm and shoot before supper !
    I have removed the offending photos for you though !

Jerry
    Last edited by GLL; 01-24-2011 at 05:17 PM.
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

GLL.. I guess it all depends on what folks call a BBQ. The BBQ pistol does not refer to gatherings of families or friends. In Texas we have these political/election BBQs, thrown by candidates to garner votes and press the flesh. The local worthies gather and the various cop types put on their parade gear of tooled leather and flashy pistols. These events are where folks are seen and go to be seen. It is to these events, that I have always believed the term BBQ pistol made reference.

Such political feeds and beer swilling down here on the border country are called "Pachangas".

It is too these events my post was directed. Family and a few friends gathering on a ranch to shoot pistols and grill meat was not my definition of a BBQ as related to pimp pistols. IIRC it was Skeeter Skelton that popularized the term and it was to the above type of event that he made reference.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 01-24-2011 at 05:43 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

This might be apropos for Yankees, to whom food eaten outdoors is barbeque.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/ad...p?itemID=13217

Here's a Colt Double Eagle BBQ gun.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 40sandwfan View Post
    Actually, I know a link that can define it better than I could ever do! "Now, a BBQ gun is a whole different animal. A BBQ gun is what you wear to barbeques, baby christenings, formal balls, and any other place where a fancy jacket or outfit would be worn." (http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2...-bbq-guns.html) Usually a fancy handgun worn to kind of show off a little I guess would be the best way to describe it. They will usually have some engraving on them and be a little fancier than your EDC gun, though they are shot as well.
    Most I've seen are either 1911's and/or SAA's. Patton's SAA would have qualified!!
    In spite of being born and raised in texas I have never seen people wearing fancy handguns "to barbeques, baby christenings, formal balls, and any other place where a fancy jacket or outfit would be worn." Maybe that is a relic of a bygone era or a different part of texas but considering open carry is illegal in texas a fancy gun you wear to "show off" isn't likely to see much if any use except maybe around a deer camp. I must admit I have a soft spot for fancy guns but only if they are actually used and not regulated to being some sort of collectors item.

Banned

I almost bought this gun off the internet about 5 years ago, could have gotten it for $2500.00.

the engraving by Ben Schostle.....

Wow !! , that one will make ya say oh and ah . I didn't know a gun like that could look so nice .

Jack

Here is my BBQ gun, a Para SSP in .38 Super.