Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: C&R arrived, now what?

Boolit Master
    Scanned Email copies are legal, if someone requires something else, it's their policy.

C1PNR, you might want to check the bound book requirements, my understanding is (I'm not an FFL, so don't jump on me too hard if I'm wrong please!) that the "bound" part of the designation indicates that the pages aren't easily removable. I don't think a ring binder qualifies. Am I missing something?
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    C1PNR, you might want to check the bound book requirements, my understanding is (I'm not an FFL, so don't jump on me too hard if I'm wrong please!) that the "bound" part of the designation indicates that the pages aren't easily removable. I don't think a ring binder qualifies. Am I missing something?
    I bought a bound book from Brownell's, and it has a summary of some of the most important/most often used regs. Under the record keeping section it mentions that the "bound Book" can either be a real bound book or an orderly collection collection of looseleaf pages. Assuming the interpretaion is Kosher (you be the judge, I still don't have a reg book yet) a looseleaf binder would be OK.

The book I bought from Brownells has room for over 320 transactions , seems to have lots of room for my scrawl, has the regulation summary I mentioned, and cost more to ship than to purchase (ended up being $3.00 to purchase and $5.50 to ship, should have scrounged up a few parts to cover the shipping). For that price I can't really see doing anything else for right now.

Say as I mentioned I have not yet received my reg book, can a C&R accept a firearm by mail from a private individual in another state, assuming all other requirements are met? Got to looking on Gunbroker and a few specify that the FFl must accept shipment from an individual.
    Last edited by rtracy2001; 12-28-2010 at 11:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    "...can a C&R accept a firearm by mail from a private individual in another state, assuming all other requirements are met?"

Yes. Since I have to live in California, that's the reason why I got the license.

Boolit Bub

C&r

I love buying old military rifles but always thought the license was costly or hard to get I am 69 and not a felon
    D

Boolit Master
    The license is $30 and is renewable every 3-years.

If you buy from a wholesaler -- versus a dealer or through Gunbroker, for instance -- you will more than save the $30 on your first purchase. Too, there are the discounts offered by Midway, Brownells, et. al.

Not, at all, hard to get...request the application paperwork, read the instructions, fill it out, mail it in, and wait.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post
    Not, at all, hard to get...request the application paperwork, read the instructions, fill it out, mail it in, and wait.
    Mine took about a month and a half after I sent it off. They are required to respond within 60 days of receiving your paperwork (pay with a CC so you can tell when they get the application.)

The instruction sheet they sent me made mention to environmental impact statements, even included the forms, wastewater discharge and everything else! You don't need an environmental impact study for a C&R, so don't worry about that.

The hardest part was getting a copy of the application to the chief LEO. The local police sent me to the Sheriff, the Sheriff sent me back to the police. I finally got someone to take a copy of the form (and give me a receipt) and mailed off the original as quick as I could. The police chief called two days later to say the forms were all in order and could be sent off. You don’t need his approval, you just need to notify him.

Boolit Grand Master

If I remember right I downloaded pages for my bound book from Surplusrifles.com. I made enough of them seven years ago and from another computer that I don't actually remember if that was the site but I think it was.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I have also thought about getting a C&R .
    I have no real intrest in selling just adding my personal colection. Do you have to be a business of some sorts or can you just buy for your own personal stuff? This thread is helping me a lot. Thanks to all....Bucl
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by buck1 View Post
    I have also thought about getting a C&R .
    I have no real intrest in selling just adding my personal colection. Do you have to be a business of some sorts or can you just buy for your own personal stuff? This thread is helping me a lot. Thanks to all....Bucl

You can only buy for your own personal use. You cannot buy for anyone else. The only acceptable way to sell, is if you are getting rid of something to help upgrade your collection, or if you are getting out of collecting all together.

My C&R pays for itself many times over from discounts from vendors.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    If I remember right I downloaded pages for my bound book from Surplusrifles.com. I made enough of them seven years ago and from another computer that I don't actually remember if that was the site but I think it was.
    IIRC that is where I got my pages too. There is one page for acquisitions and another for dispositions. I put mine into a loose leaf binder so that when opened, acquisitions are on the left and dispositions on the right.

My understanding of the regs is that this is sufficient.

John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    You can only buy for your own personal use. You cannot buy for anyone else. The only acceptable way to sell, is if you are getting rid of something to help upgrade your collection, or if you are getting out of collecting all together.

My C&R pays for itself many times over from discounts from vendors.
    Thanks! I see now. I have been looking at the ATF site and am slowly piceing it all together (I dont talk lawyer). At first I thought you had to be a reseller of some sort. But I see basicly , You need to keep it or at least untill you upgrade it. and you have to keep records of all C&R guns you buy on the licence and when/if you sell those guns you must record it in the log.And if you do sell one you must do the brady form/call. Does this sound right? Thanks...Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

I believe that when you sell you only need reliable identification of the buyer and address within the state or neighboring state for face to face. Distant selling I haven't gotten into yet, don't know how that works.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    wow, even better!

----------------------
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I sold a C&R handgun to an out-of-state Cast Boolits member who is a C&R licensee, also. I would sell out-of-state only to a dealer or C&R holder, and face-to-face only if I knew the person.

Bear in mind, that the purpose of the license is to acquire a certain category of guns. It is not a license to sell them as a means of income, only to get rid of a gun you are no longer interested in or to use the funds from a sale to subsidize another acquisition. I believe the term the ATF uses is "infrequent", when describing C&R sales, and there is not a number associated with the term.

Also, keep in mind that, when it's time to renew the license, you must state how many guns you purchased and sold, utilizing the soon-to-expire license.

I know a dealer who alerted the ATF to a C&R holder who was buying and re-selling guns to non-licensees.

Be prepared to eat a lot or Ramen noodles.

The main criteria for a gun to be C&R illegible is needs to have manufactured 50 years ago or more. There can be some gray areas as to when some guns was actually made. Some don't have serial numbers, or the particular brand of firearm serial numbers aren't listed anywhere to find out that date. Also a great many FFL dealers haven't a clue when their gun they're selling was made, and refuse to do a transaction. Then a call or email to the ATF is warranted. I've tried to buy guns that are known to be over 50 years old, but some FFL dealers for some reason refuse to sell to C&R holders.

I printed my bound book pages off the internet 10 years ago, and I assume like then, there are several types available now yet. Just do a Google or Yahoo image search and you'll come up with one to print out yourself.

Remember too if your buying a weapon for a buddy, it's still considered a straw buy, and not legal. That doesn't mean you can't sell it at some point, but be careful. I've sold lesser guns that I've upgraded to a better quality of the same model. ...Geo
    N.R.A. Life Member

Smile

There's a .pdf form here: http://www.cruffler.com/boundbook2.pdf

for both pages, if you're interested.

And yes, prepare to eat a LOT of Ramen noodles.
    Regards,

WE

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by C1PNR View Post
    There's a .pdf form here: http://www.cruffler.com/boundbook2.pdf

for both pages, if you're interested.
    Those are scanned rightout of the book Brownell's sells.

Quote Originally Posted by C1PNR View Post
    And yes, prepare to eat a LOT of Ramen noodles.
    And work a lot of overtime.

Boolit Master
    it took me a whopping 28 days to get mine this spring.

also you can buy a "lot" of guns(say 1903's) to pick the best for your collection and sell the rest. you probably dont want to show a large profit in doing so, but its legal.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by troy_mclure View Post
    Also you can buy a "lot" of guns(say 1903's) to pick the best for your collection and sell the rest. you probably dont want to show a large profit in doing so, but its legal.
    Man I hope the rule book arrives soon so I can verify that. (Trust but verify) How do you go about selling off the rejects then? Do you need to go through all that form 4473 garbage? Do you only sell to close friends and family (everyone in my family has a CCL and moderate to large collections)? Gunbroker and make the buyer round up a FFL (seems reasonable)?

Do I need to request that a rule book be sent? Seems logical that they would send one to a new licensee, but lack of logic has never really concerned the govt.