Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: why do you whack on your mould?

In Remembrance
    Much is said on this site about frost vs. shiny, dipping vs. bottom pour, and whacking vs. hand cutting.
    A lot of the difference (in what people choose) applies to the kind of shooting they are casting for.

Here is a guy casting big bullets for black powder cartridges.
    He will look for shiny bullets, uses a dipper, and (in his case) uses his hand AND a whacker for every bullet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiJikigdIow

I know his rhythm will drive crabo nuts, but those who 'cast to relax' will find solace in it.
    It is a long way from the Bruce B. method, but it results in perfect bullets...something rarely seen in the pictures posted on this site.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

To the original post: I have been using the same 12" hammer handle to cut the spru since 1960. After many thousands of casts with scores of molds, no damage has been done to any mold.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Maybe Whacker is not the correct wording. I use a stick to open my spruce plate push boolits out of the way and sometimes to TAP the bolt to talk a sticker out. I think Whacking a mold is just wrong you pay to much for them. Unless its a lee then you can beat the heck out of it lol. I just got a die to swag bullets and been doing some reading looks like a hammer is needed to make them I am going to come up with something else to remove them besides a hammer.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Grand Master
    I wear gloves, and use a small rawhide mallet to open sprue plates and to tap on the handle hinge when the boolits hang up. Gotta say--that cam arrangement on the Lee 6-cylinder moulds is a significant upgrade to the hobby.

Keeping a mallet ready at hand keeps the Lyman moulds focused on the matter at hand, respectful, and maintains their positive attitude. Lose the mallet, and they get uppity and cranky on ya. Can't have THAT.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    You no glove guys shouldn't be posting that on the web - the gov will pass a law.

(not a glove wearer either).
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

For many years now, I've used a small plastic mallet or stick of hardwood to cut the sprue (NOT to "whack the mould"). The implement NEVER strikes the mould...it impacts the end of the sprue plate or (if bullets are sticking a bit) the sides of the handle after the blocks are opened

The energy imparted in cutting the sprue is applied to cutting the alloy connecting the sprue to the bullets...NOT to damaging the mould. I have moulds that have cast thousands upon thousands of bullets over decades, and they show no damage whatever. One quickly learns the amount of "whack" needed to do the job, and it's not very much. I don't use excessive force; it's more of a "tap-tap" than a blow. Naturally, due consideration must be used to ensure proper alignment of the strike, etc.

I lose no sleep about my "brutality and mis-treatment" of my moulds, because there's simply no harm done. It's also more efficient for *ME* to do it this way.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    Here is a guy casting big bullets for black powder cartridges.
    He will look for shiny bullets, uses a dipper, and (in his case) uses his hand AND a whacker for every bullet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiJikigdIow

I know his rhythm will drive crabo nuts, but those who 'cast to relax' will find solace in it.
    It is a long way from the Bruce B. method, but it results in perfect bullets...something rarely seen in the pictures posted on this site.

CM
    I think that the way he is casting, is the way to go for the gun and game he is shooting. But I doubt that he would cast that way if he was shooting lots of 45 acp. But then again he might, different strokes for different folks.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master
    I've always cut the sprue with my gloved hand. And I while I may have to tap the mold handle to get the bullet out occasionally I can't say I have ever whacked it. I tap it with a soft pine, 1 inch dowel, that has a 3/8 inch lead core like the old night sticks.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd2 View Post
    I think age has a lot to do with it for many of us. I'm just a few weeks shy of my 70th birthday and with aging I can't or won't do many things that I once did. These days if I put too much strain on my hands I know I will be paying for it in days to come. So I'll continue to whack my moulds with a stick and save my hands so I can shoot those boolits.
    Yep I'm right behind you, these old hands sometimes just hurt..
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Master
    I'm 71, and yeah, it can get to the athritis in my thumb at times. But I cast often, and not too many at a time, so it isn't too bad.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

got to whack them molds just to let them know who's the boss! little buggers get so mouthy otherwise...... steve k
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd2 View Post
    I think age has a lot to do with it for many of us. I'm just a few weeks shy of my 70th birthday and with aging I can't or won't do many things that I once did. These days if I put too much strain on my hands I know I will be paying for it in days to come. So I'll continue to whack my moulds with a stick and save my hands so I can shoot those boolits.

Ditto.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master
    Buncha "ole farts" here! I'll be 69 in Feb. Cast out three RCBS 10 kilo pots today. Used two H&G eight cavity and one H&G four cavity for 185 and 200 H&G 68's.

The eight cavity moulds are starting to get heavy and my left thumb is starting to lock up. Getting old ain't for the faint of heart!

And yes, I whacked the bejesus outta the moulds!!!!
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Boolit Master
    Mostly using Lee 6 cavity molds, but on others I "tap" the spru plate in one smooth motion with the hickory handle from a 3# sledge. I don't mind gloves for many jobs, but I cast bare handed. Don't mind the occasional 1st or 2nd degree burns, just part of living.

prs

Been a tapper for all my life. It was the way I was taught. Be sides that I also cast with my bare hands, can't stand gloves, works well for me. Just tap on the handle hinge bolt never smack the mold blocks. I lent a fella a 357 round nose lee 2 cav once and told him not to hit the mold blocks themselves., he didn't listen and beat the crud out of a good mold. I learned a good lesson , I don't loan molds , am happy to mold some up for him but he don't get my molds no more.

Boolit Master
    maybe its an rcbs thing? i have had a mould replaced by rcbs because the boolits wouldnt come out.

i have to really whack it with a 1" dowel rod to knock them loose.

Boolit Bub
    i havew trouble opening my lee 9mm mold , i have to wack the heck out of it.

Banned
    I have to whack the Lyman .40 TC mold 4 or 5 times to get the bullets out.

Boolit Master
    Stainless 1911
    If you have to whack that mold there must be some burs on the edge of the cavities holding the boolits in. That particular style should drop easily.
    Take a powerful magnifier and look closely at the very edge of each cavity. You may see a bur raised by the cutting tool that will need to be removed. When properly done I bet those TC design boolits will drop out when you open the mold.
    I have had an exception to this that was due to the cavity being cut off center so on one block the metal of the block began to wrap around past center of the boolit so that the boolit was trapped in the cavity and would require feverish pounding to deform the boolit enough to escape the cavity.

Banned
    Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out shortly.