WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it worth trying to find WW

is it worth trying to find WW

I am trying to build my stock pile back up, have not hit any of my WW resources for an long time. been reading threads about the number of sources not selling, or not allowed to sale WW. is it even worth the time to go around and ask?

it is hit and miss. My source still gives them to me for free. some wont even sell them. Trying it is the only way to know.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Boolit Master

It is very hit or miss around here. I just started casting. I'm one of the new guys that are trying to find WW and the places that sell or give them away, are getting fewer and far between. One of our junk yards was taken over by a larger company and no longer sells to the public. Our local farm store no longer lets us have any. I went out Black Friday and struck out at three places. On the brighter side. One place I found about a month ago, sold me a 5 gal. bucket for $10.00. On the bummer side, he had just sent nine buckets to the recycler about a month previously. All the lead I could want for $90.00. He gets a bucket about every month and a half. I hope to be able to stay with him. This place is just five miles from a very large city and no one has ever been there for WW. Keep looking. You may find that place that is so obvious no one asks. Dang. Nine buckets. I could of had me a story and a half.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Man

WW's

Quote Originally Posted by corey012778 View Post
    I am trying to build my stock pile back up, have not hit any of my WW resources for an long time. been reading threads about the number of sources not selling, or not allowed to sale WW. is it even worth the time to go around and ask?
    That depends on how much your time is worth. I think it's always worth it. I have been known to stop by junk yards with a bucket and a screwdriver just to have a productive lunch hour, even 20 pounds at lunch is worth it. Keep looking, you will get lucky eventually. Joe
    You always think you have enough Boolets, until the Zombies come.

Quote Originally Posted by MoldyJoe View Post
    Keep looking, you will get lucky eventually.
    Best advice.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Buddy
    15lbs here, 30lbs there, it all adds up. Not so easy to get WW from the chain stores but the smaller places can sure pay off.

Boolit Master

That depends on how much your time is worth.
    Keep looking, you will get lucky eventually.
    Very true. A year or two ago I started looking to accumulate a stash, but struck out time after time at the tire shops. They either didn't sell, wouldn't sell, or wanted $1 per pound. I think the tire shops around here get asked all the time and think they have gold.

I even put an add on craigslist (got a few hundred pounds, none real cheap or free though), found another couple hundred pounds of ingots at a local gun shop for 70 cents/lb, then lucked into a half ton of lino for less than that. That definitely rounds out my lifetime supply.

If you keep looking you'll get a supply built up, but it sure isn't easy anymore if you want it cheap. If you have more time than money it might be fun to see what you can find. If the reverse is true, you'll likely be better off buying FRBs full of ingots for $1/lb.

Boolit Grand Master
    if yer out yes
    if you are quitting shooting,casting,hunting then no stay home
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    if yer out yes
    if you are quitting shooting,casting,hunting then no stay home
    um no, on quitting on all the above. in fact, I am going to all cast boolits out of sabots on my 50cal inline muzzleloaders, conicals for 45cal, casting roundballs, and gearing up to start reloading and casting for 9mm

Boolit Master
    Keep looking as everyone has said. don't pass up on opportunities for range scrap either. that is a little more work but it can be free!

did pass up getting range scrap yesterday. it is my number 1 source right now.

Any number of no's is outweighed by a yes. WW is a staple so it will always be worthwhile to keep our stocks replenished. Fortunately I have a lifetimes supply, but that was got by asking everywhere untill I though I had enough --- then I got some more.

Von Gruff.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Boolit Buddy
    I just scored a 30# batch today, with a good possibility of a 200# plus per month.
    This after countless rejections, so I would have to say, yes. The free WW are still out there.
    Should be intrusting to see how much zinc I get.

I have been getting free WW the last year and a half..last week before we got dumped on with snow and Thanksgiving I was able to pick up 13 gallons in one week. My supplier has went to all steel so I think the good times are just about over..thankfully I have 165 gallons of unsmelted WW to work through. I am estimating by the middle of next year everything will be steel in my neck of the woods but I will keep searching, more out of habit than desire..thrill of the hunt and all !
    You'll shoot your eye out kid !

I don't actively look, not worth the cost of gas around here, but if I am in a shop, I always ask. SOmetimes you get lucky. My last trip in for an oil change @ a Midas got me about 180# after sorting. The days of cheap or free alloy will be over sooner than you think. Kommifornia banning lead ww put the ball in motion for the manuf to stop making them. Steel & zinc from here on out I am afraid.
    Last edited by fredj338; 12-02-2010 at 08:44 PM.

If you're gonna look, now is the time. If you put it off much longer, it's gonna dry up completely. My source is still treating me very well--picked up about 200+ pounds today for the bargain price of some Corona. They were actually free--always are at this one particular place, but I try to treat my good source to a little something every time I come by regardless of the "take 'em, they're all yours" comment every time. That way the treats keep coming on both ends for as long as the WW supply holds.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Master
    I haven't found much, some free, some paid for, but I'm out & about anyway.
    Never hurts to ask, just takes a few minutes even if they say "no".
    Found a bucket full of scrap sheet lead at an army surplus store not too long ago.
    Keep looking.

Boolit Master

it's getting tough here too, but this is a good time of year to hit the tire shops! I don't pay much for WW but then again lead just went from .60 to .90lb here
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

I took a tire in to repair for a slow leak. I asked the man if he had any wheel weights he wanted to sell. I offered him thirty cents a pound and guessed the pail at 150 pounds. So for sixty five dollars I got my tire fixed and at least another hundred pounds of ingots. I was real happy.

Quote Originally Posted by XIT View Post
    I took a tire in to repair for a slow leak. I asked the man if he had any wheel weights he wanted to sell. I offered him thirty cents a pound and guessed the pail at 150 pounds. So for sixty five dollars I got my tire fixed and at least another hundred pounds of ingots. I was real happy.
    Good score. We will soon long for the days we pay only 50c/# for good ww. Time to start seriously mining the berm.