RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 44 mag. revolver question.

Boolit Mold

44 mag. revolver question.

Hi,

first : sorry for my English writing, I'm french canadian.

Last week I was a the shooting range with my father to try is new revolver (S&W 686). I liked it! but I think that .357 is not enough powerfull. I know that American Eagle is not a super charge but cheap. I'm just waiting for some casting tool and I will begin 38/357 reloading. I already reload 45 ACP for my 1911 since 2 years.

After shooting I spoked with shooters and one of them let my tried is 44 mag. I know it was a S&W double action. OMFG I'm in love!!! I want one or two...

I'm about buying a 44 and I have many question :

- is it true that Ruger revolver is more tough to handle 44 mag "super charge"?
    - is it true that Ruger revolver in simple action is more tough than double?
    - which powder is better to reload? I'm using titegroup for my 1911 but for a 44 mag I want sound and fire.
    - can I use my Winchester WLP primer (for standard or magnum pistol) or user only large magnum primers from another brand?
    - I'm looking for a mold, is 240g in semi wad cutter is a good choice?
    - do I need to use gas check?

Sure I'll have more question later but for the moment if you can help me it will make my day.

Thanks,

Yes, the Rugers are nice strong revolters. Stronger than S&Ws. 296, H110, 2400, 4227 are the top powders in .44 mag. With the first two use your Wlp or any mag primer. For the last two, a standard primer is better.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

If you want sound and fire the Ruger Alaskan is the pistol you're looking for.

I'm A Honcho!
    A Ruger Redhawk 4 inch revolver is what you would really enjoy. Very strong. VERY strong revolver....

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 dogs View Post
    A Ruger Redhawk 4 inch revolver is what you would really enjoy. Very strong. VERY strong revolver....
    Because canadian politicians are a$$ holez all pistol/revolver with barrel under 4 in are prohibited. Only grand father have this class...

so I'm looking for :

New Model Super Blackhawk http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...eets/0804.html

I never try it before, is it a good choice?

Boolit Mold
    Ole : nice one! I like stainless and pizza

Boolit Master
    Powders used for butt stomping loads have been listed above however for plinker loads mid burning or even fast burning powders work well too. For now a mid weight bullet will work, something in the 240-265 grain range but if you plan on hunting then the Lee 310 grain RF gas check boolit is really hard to beat. Gas check or plain base: well this is another debate all into itself. A gun that is put together correctly and has a smooth bore will generally shoot PB bullets very well and many people don't use GC bullets for their 44 mags even with full house loads.

Looking at the Ruger class of revolvers then the Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks are single action where as the Redhawk and Super Redhawks are double action. This may be something to consider depending on your intent. Blackhawks have a bit smaller frame so are lighter in weight where as the Redhawks are beefier models and come with a bit more weight. Regarding strength of the revolvers I would rate them in this order: Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, Redhawk and Super Redhawk.

I own a red hawk with a 5.5 inch barrel and it will shoot the heaviest 44 loads you can shoot, but to me it is the homely girl that you play around with under the bleachers and ignore in the hallway and the Smith M29 is the one you walk tall with, a crude analogy but I'm drunk right now.

Banned

IME the M29 is a real bear to shoot well at distance from a bench. Plus the KNUCKLE, OMG. If you've ever shot one you know what I mean. Pachmayr's (sp?) solution makes the gun ride even higher in my hands, adding to the recoil torque and not so good groups. I'd stick with a Ruger, maybe a Bisely as they are much easier to control under recoil.

I shoot plain-based 240-grain hollow points over 1400 fps in a M29, but that is the ragged edge of where it starts to lead. Harder boolits skid less and thus lead much less than softer stuff when it's really pushed hard, I'd say gas checks are not required if you do things right.

Gear

Boolit Master
    odis: Do you have your beer goggles on?

I would rather buy a Ruger as it is a revolver that you can feed high end loads to all day long and not worry about shaking her loose. They are accurate and function is solid. That's just me though and I've always been influenced with the thought to get the most for my buck.

Boolit Grand Master
    The Ruger Redhawk with 5.5" barrel is a stout, capable revolver that can digest all the Magnum loadings you care to fire. You will give out before the revolver does, I assure you.

I use two different SWC designs in my Redhawk. Lyman #429421 is a classic Keith SWC, plain-based, and is quite good to at least 1100 FPS. My other 44 mould is Lyman #429244, a Thompson SWC weighing 245 grains before gas-checking and lube. I have run it well past 1400 FPS in the Redhawk, and it is quite accurate.

As time goes on I shoot fewer of the romp-n-stomp Magnum loads and many more mid-range concoctions. In a Redhawk, the #429421 at 1000 FPS is docile to shoot but quite devastating to game animals. I use such loads A LOT in the Redhawk and in a S&W 44 Special.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    The Smith & Wesson is like an arabian horse or a fencing sword; the Ruger double actions are like Clydesdales or a machete. If you load high end loads in the S&W, it will start shaking loose after a time...the endurance package is supposed to correct that problem. With the Rugers, your arms will tell you to quit long before the gun develops problems. The Ruger single action blackhawks are very durable. You really have to abuse the gun to damage it. Anything you buy will probably require trigger refinement.

I daily use 50+ rounds of 44 reloads. Powder is either TITEGROUP or HP38/231, various semi wadcutters or round nose flat points...some with gas checks/others not, with WINCHESTER Large Pistol primers (which are not readily available yet)

You can load 44 magnums at the same power level as your 45...and go higher as you like or need. The lesser powered ammo is kinder to the gun and shooter both! MI-HEC and NOE both make excellent moulds for 240 +/- grain semi wadcutters.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys!!

Boolit Master
    REDHAWKS RULE. Why settle for single action when you can have both? S&M M-29's cannot digest the kinds or number of loads that a RH is capable of. Plus, I could never get past the antiquated hammer mounted firing pin on the Smith and Wessons. Super Redhawks are too heavy and just plain butt ugly. JMO.

Winelover

Boolit Buddy
    Don't overlook a Dan Wesson if you can find one.

Boolit Buddy
    You won't be disappointed with a Ruger Super Blackhawk. Get a stainless, if you're gonna be out in the weather a bunch. I've run over 20,000 full power rounds through mine. Welcome to the HandCannon addiction!

if you can get a SUPER BLACK HAWK HUNTER you got the best .love mine.
    it has a 2-7 scope on it.(old eyes )
    also got a S W MOD 29 STELTH it is ok but i favor the hunter.

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE

crime dont pay as will as politics

Boolit Master

jfgagne--Your english writing is head and shoulders above my French writing(which is nonexistent), welcome to the board. If you like single actions your Ruger pick is a good one. As others have mentioned a gas check is not necessary and Lyman 429421 at about 250 grs will do a good job as a hunting boolit and target for that matter. I would also second the recommendations for 296,H110,2400 and 4227 and in that order for your serious loads. Good luck whatever you choose.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

I have to say I really like the Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter in .44 Mag. You do not have to put a red dot or a scope on them as the factory sights at least to me are fine for work up to say 25 yards or so.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Banned

I would recommend this.

Ruger Super Redhawk in 44mag 7.5" brl with Pachmyer grips

I would recommend any of these boolits.

the 240gr SWC's plain base ones will be just fine

I shoot the plain base 250gr ones to 1350 fps with just WW alloy and 2400 powder. Pleanty of blast and oomph for you.

If you really want a firecracker load use 2400 and any 200gr boolit.