Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I get this stuff off?????

Boolit Master

How do I get this stuff off?????

A friend of mine from work mentioned that he used to own a gun shop in Texas before he moved to Idaho, and as luck would have it he had some leftover inventory. He said now that his FFL had expired, he couldn’t sell at a profit, but he let me have my pick of four Turkish Mausers at his cost. They were the ones selling for $90 about 5 years ago, so nothing impressive, but for the price I figured the Mauser 98 actions alone would be worth it. I picked up two this afternoon. They were in their shipping boxes and packed full of the nastiest grease I have ever seen. I think it was originally yellow, but most of it is black and crusty now. Once the outer layer is knocked off, the stuff underneath is sticky and WILL NOT COME OFF!! I scraped, wiped, sprayed with degreaser, washed with dish soap (got in trouble for that one) and all I managed to do is get one bore halfway cleaned. This is nasty stuff. I had to pound the cleaning rod through the bore as compressed air wouldn't blow the stuff out. When I did get the cleaning rod through I had a 29 inch long grease worm on the floor.

What can I use to get this stuff off?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I use Goop handcleaner for cosmoline, or take it to the local laundrymat, they steam clean guns for $5.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

There is a readily available, cheap, very effective, and extremely dangerous solvent at your nearest filling station. It is running around $2.50/gallon around here.
    Tony

I like waksupi's laundromat idea better than mine.
    Tony

heat with a hair dryer and wipe with mineral spirits

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

Banned

cosmoline is related to mineral spirits.
    warmth will keep seeping it out of everywhere.

Boolit Master

Get a piece of Sched 40 PVC of the right size/length, cap one end, put the gun in, fill with Paint thinner, and soak for a week.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnerd View Post
    Get a piece of Sched 40 PVC of the right size/length, cap one end, put the gun in, fill with Paint thinner, and soak for a week.
    Sounds like a plan (something I didn't try at any rate). how about the stock? anything to use on that?

Boolit Master
    barrel with a couple 60 watt bulbs works well, I don't remember where I saw it but I'm betting that google does......

Dan

Boolit Master
    Ah yes, the Famous "Turkoline". Diesel works pretty good with a scrub brush, as does Kerosene. Heat also works, the light bulb inside two metal garbage cans will get it out in a week or two, and is what you will have to do to get the oil out of the stocks. The fastest way to get it off the metal is an Electrolytic cleaner. As a bonus, it will also get rid of the rust and crud.
    Go to SurplusRifleForum and look in the Stock care section and the Gunsmithing Section for the Electrolytic cleaner.

Boolit Master
    Take it to the local self serve car wash and use the hose with hot water. Will get the metal and wood clean. You may get thrown out of the laundramat. Frank

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank46 View Post
    Take it to the local self serve car wash and use the hose with hot water. Will get the metal and wood clean. You may get thrown out of the laundramat. Frank
    This stuff laughs at hot water and soap. 120*+ water and soap softened it a bit, but that just made it flow into cracks and crevices better. The heavy duty engine degreaser morphed it into something about the consistency of snot, but it couldn't be wiped or scrapped off. (just spread around like putty) #9 powder solvent gave it a good run, and I was able to get it down to a thin sheen on most of the exposed metal surfaces (lots of nooks and crannies still filled with goo). Lost 2 nice bore brushes and a small parts brush to the cause. not to mention the warm place to sleep that I lost (for a day or 2) due to the mess in the kitchen sink. (It really did seem like a good idea at the time)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rtracy2001 View Post
    Sounds like a plan (something I didn't try at any rate). how about the stock? anything to use on that?
    Put the ENTIRE gun in; the stock will dry out in a few weeks by itself, or you can wrap in old rags, put in trash can with a couple of light bulbs (60 watt), and be done in a week or two.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Bub
    mineral spirits! I put them in my solvent tank, rub them down good with a stiff brush and that **** is gone. I have a long brush for the bore. Takes it off the stock also and doesn't hurt the wood (won't take it out of the stock, you need heat for that). MINERAL SPIRITS CUTS COSMO!!!

Boolit Master

Diesel fuel
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master

Easy Off.
    Doesn't hurt the wood.

Boolit Master

Boiling water works great.

CDD

+1 on the boiling water down the bore and over the metal, same water treatment and easy off for the wood.

Boolit Mold

Steam Cleaner

If you have access to a pressure steam cleaner it is the fastest method.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Hmm. I thought I got it all out of my one Mauser... and even now, in the sun,more oozes out.

If you get the bore reasonably clear, rapidly firing about 30 rounds of ammo followed quickly by cleaning while piping hot will get the bore clean at any rate.