RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range accident

Cast Hunter

Range accident

I went to shoot at the local range today on my lunch hour, but my plans changed quickly. When I got to the range the only other people present was an old couple I see there quite a bit (got to be in their 80s). While I was setting up, a friend of mine dropped by and we were just talking when the old lady came up to us and said “We need some help down here. He shot himself in the hand.” The old guy was shooting a Ruger Mark II .22 and had shot his left index finger dead center and blew out the knuckle. He was sitting at his table with a stunned look on his face and I could see exposed bone and cartilage. My buddy got a clean rag for him to wrap it in while I called 911. While waiting for the EMTs to show, he related what had happened (I wasn’t watching him when he did it). He said the pistol jammed and while trying to clear it, the slide went forward and the gun fired. Obviously, his finger was in a bad position at the time. We got his finger gently wrapped and kept the old guy seated until the EMTs arrived. I cleared the pistol and helped load gear into their truck. An ambulance took him away (that finger will NEVER be the same) and police got a statement from me. Fortunately it was just his finger. Could have been much worse.
    Last edited by RugerFan; 11-03-2010 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    YIKES -- glad it was just a finger and that you and your bud were there to help.
    ph4570

Boolit Grand Master
    Poor guy. Good on ya for taking care of him like you did.

These toys and tools we enjoy so much can BITE in a moment of lax or divided attention.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

I was a Major Case Claims Rep for an insurance company (I'm retired after thirty years). I came to one conclusion during that time. NONE of us is above having an accident. ANY of us can have a momentary lapse (just look at all of the auto accidents if you need proof). It just takes a fraction of a second for a real screw up to occur.

Eternal vigilance, folks, eternal vigilance...

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Good for you Dale!

Fred
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Boolit Master
    I can imagine a lot of ways to screw up but , finger in front of the barrel is not one of them. I don't even understand how you do that without intent.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master

Pat on the back for helping the gent out.

Sam
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Yes sir, you deserve an 'attaboy' for helping the fellow out! I've had several close calls through my years of shooting, and they all change your perspective. No matter how much of an "expert" you may be, if you don't respect that firearm you can end up a casualty...or worse, hurt someone else. Good job, brother!
    Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.

"I drank what?" --Socrates

You know, I've been a Christian all of my life, but I never knew how much God loves us until I had my 2 little boys.
    John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    Would you give your child up knowing he would be tortured and killed? I couldn't, but God did. That's love.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Poor guy. Good on ya for taking care of him like you did.

These toys and tools we enjoy so much can BITE in a moment of lax or divided attention.
    +1. Good on you.

If you look at the roof over the benches at my local AG&FC range, it will sober you.

Boolit Master

+1 for the 'Attaboy'. But I would expect no less from any of the members of this forum.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings and Well Done ! God certainly can put help in the right place when needed.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    As a range officer for many years, I have never seen anyone so far have that kind of accident. I have on occasion shouted out verbal commands to lay down the firearm immediately. Then I help unload, unjam or whatever. I have 4 ranges plus the back action ranges to patrol on my shift and over the years I have seen some stupid stuff. Mostly the stupid stuff is guests that the members bring on the property. For instance, the member walks down range on a cold range to set targets and I catch the guest loading high powered rifles and pointing them down range at the member. I go plum bananas, usually the guest and member leaves the range, I make out a report and the board of directors deals with the member. Members go thru a 4 hour orientation before becoming a full fledged member and can bring guests after that, however when guests are brought the member is held responsible for the actions of that guest. As of last month we had 1,070 members. Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club near Orlando. We have a webb site.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I was a Narcotics Officer for over 6 years. I was involved with running (kicking doors in) 5 or more warrants a day. After leaving Narcotics and going to the FBI Firearms Instructor School and becoming a POST instructor I was shot on two different occassions. I was hit by bullet schrapnel after a officer did something stupid. One female turned towards me with her finger on the trigger of a model 65 S&W cocked into single action. This is not taught nor allowed by anyone on the range. We only teach double action firing with revolvers. I bent forward a pushed the barrel of the gun down just as she pulled the trigger.Had I not done so I would have taken a hit in my mid section. The bullet hit the concrete and sent the fragments into my face and both eyes. I could not see and was rushed to the hospital where a eye surgeron removed the slivers of lead. I had both eyes covered for three weeks. I was lucky as I only lost some vison. It can happen so fast that you can do nothing about it. It is good that you were at that range as the older couple could have lost it and not got help. Thanks for being a good person.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

I was testing a magazine yesterday in an AR. I slapped the bolt release on a round that I had chambered probably 20 times. That free floating firing pin finaly hit hard enough to set it off and put a nice indention in my garage floor. My ears also rang. No one got hurt but my dog was not happy with me since he was sitting by me.

Boolit Master
    I was a Small Arms Repairman (and Armament Maintenance NCO) for the Army for 20 years and have done a lot of defense contracting since then, plus I've owned guns for my entire life. I have personally only had one (1) negligent discharge in 55 years (no, it was NOT an accident), and have been around several others. Fortunately, nobody has been injured on my watch ~ but that isn't necessarily my fault!

I now live by two rules involving firearms:

1. Don't do STUPID stuff!
    2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1!

It only takes an instant to make a life-altering (or life-ending) mistake.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

2007 FOB Loyalty, Baghdad, A soldier in our phone booth was in an argument with his wife via webcam. He slammed the butt of his weapon on the floor. The M4 discharged, sending the bullet under his chin, through the top of his head, killing him instantly, with his wife and several other soldiers looking on. It pays to be safety oriented at all times. I pray that me and mine never have something like this happen.

Boolit Buddy
    ALWAYS -ALWAYS remember their are two kind of people in the world those who have had and accidental discharge and those who will .Always have the muzzle of your weapon pointed in a safe direction , Think the biggest problem for re-loaders are guys who rush their production rounds per hour and end up with high primers that slam fire on the ar type guns or auto loader pistols OR revolver shooter where the high primer detonated from recoil with the frame .
    People should slow down enjoy the process it's not a race.

Boolit Master
    First let me give RF a big pat on the back for being a stand up guy.

Now let me ask how this guy got his finger over the muzzle? From the description it look like the guy hit the second joint on his left index finger??

Even with sloppy gun handling and a little age thrown in I don't see how anyone could get thier finger in that position to clear a Ruger 22 auto pistol.

Seriously pull out your Ruger 22 auto, unload it, and they put your left finger over the muzzle and try to work the bolt.

Ungainly doesn't even begin to describe how this feels let alone even suggest this is a natural "grasp" of the gun to clear it.

I am sadden to say living in L.A. has made be a bit skeptical of all things accidental in the shooting world.

Hope to hear from Rugerfan on a little more of this incident in the near future and, I am seriously hoping, nothing more comes of it.

However I wonder when the other shoe will fall?

Boolit Master
    Yup, gotta agree with Heavy Metal. Need more info.
    As a victim/perp(?) of an acidental discharge I have to agree.
    1. Point it safe
    2. Finger off the trigger
    3. See Rule #2.

Might I hazard a guess that the majority of AD's occur with semi/auto's????
    Don't seem to se many posts involving revolvers.
    Maybe time for the general wake-up call on the difference between autos and revolvers????
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Boolit Master
    When I was a kid I was told to always relieve pressure on the firing pin spring on a bolt action by pulling the trigger as you close the bolt. Of course you need to make sure the gun is empty FIRST. If I said that I thought I cleared the action one day and did my thing and my high powered rifle went off harmlessly into the ground a few feet from my tire, that would embarrass me. I don't like to be embarrassed so I guess I will say it was my cousin that did that, what an idiot! Then there was the time when I took my daddy's Colt and was finger twirling it like a fancy cowboy, if I told you it went off into the livingroom floor a few feet away from sis, that would be embarrassing too, so I guess I will say I once knew this complete idiot that did that. I am glad I am smart enough to learn lessons by others examples, and always do the right thing. MmmmmmHmmmm. At least I have not done something that stupid since puberty.

Probably why I am so completely anal retentive about shooting and firearms safety these days. Hard lessons learned. But not as hard as that old gents lesson was! I can just hear his kids now!
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!