WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 8MM Paper patch

8MM Paper patch

Here I go again. Re-attempting to patch 8MM boolits. First my base boolit is a .313 diameter Lee 185 for the 303 British. Bore at the lands on both my Yugo M48s run.3125 with a .323 -.324 groove. Used paper from note pads I get at work that measure .004. Am waiting for my 1st five to dry but a wet measurement is .326. Will resize in a Lee .323 sizer and hope for the best. Bare boolit size may be too big to start and my have to get a lee .309 and open it up to get .3125 sizing. Test charge will be 45 grains of H4895 or Varget just to get on paper. Am open to any suggestions as from previous reading I know theres a pile of knowledge here.

Thanks

Mike

Angry

GRRRRR Did I do something dumb. Went to do final sizing to.323 and used the wrong sizer. Sized them to .315. Time to make more test slugs. This time I used the correct sizer.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by matm0702 View Post
    GRRRRR Did I do something dumb.
    Dude, I do something dumb at least once a day. Mostly because I'm tired.
    Keep us posted as to your progress.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

Dang the luck those would be perfect for my Russian hate to see you waste a good boolit but "chit" happens.
    Thats a pretty good size down did the patch make it through the sizer if so your doing something right.

8MM paper patch

Made more test boolits. Will use the right sizer this time. Wish my mosin wasn't so tight in the chamber. The slugs I messed up would be great for a fat 30 enfield or mosin.
    Mike

Boolit Buddy
    got this off Hodgdon site paste and click 175 GR. SIE SP Hodgdon H4895 .323" 3.100" 40.0 2387 36,800 CUP 49.4 2762 48,300 CUP
    start max

8MM paper patch

Well I tried my test loads last week. Two managed to hit the 3x4 ft cardboard.
    The other three rounds, Who knows? I'm guessing maybe I sized the bullet too small. Also the bullet is a GC design. May try one Un-sized ans use a GC though the GC isn't needed. Charge was 45 grains of Varget which was on the low end for a 195 grain jacketed bullet. The only positive thing was no leading. Will try this again later after deer season.

Mike

Boolit Master
    well, i tried my hand at pp few weeks back, and was doing about the same thing as you. except i was using a gc'd 314299 sized to .312 and one wrap of printer paper and sized to .325, and 40gr of imr 4895, at fifty yd. i thought i had struck gold right off the batt. cause the the first three shots were in a small group, and the fourth, fiveth shot's were bad flyers, like 8'' off the target. so i'm in the same boat as you, but like you after deer season i'll get back to it. i did notice that on one case after firing, maybe the third shot there was some wadded up paper stuck to the mouth of the case on one side. i don't know what happend there, it must have torn the paper or something.

Boolit Master

I guess I am looking for something different but on a whim, I wraped some 314-299 unsized, with two wraps of standard 20 lb copier paper loaded in R-P cases over 20.5 of IMR4227. Shoots great and I am finaly finding small pieces of confetti.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master

First, there is lead in the lands. The patch cleans it out. You will get flyers during that period.
    Fit is everything. I have used miserable paper, and as long as it had a good fit, good confetti is an indicator, it printed well.
    Keep at it!
    It will come.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post
    I guess I am looking for something different but on a whim, I wraped some 314-299 unsized, with two wraps of standard 20 lb copier paper loaded in R-P cases over 20.5 of IMR4227. Shoots great and I am finaly finding small pieces of confetti.
    Seems like a lot of work paper patching and only using that load as that is a plain cast bullet load. I use the cast bullets in the lee 185 mould beagled slightly and sized to .325 with 20 grs of I4227 and get excellent groups.
    I suppose if you don't have a 8mm mould you can enlarge the 314299 as above to use as an 8mm. Ray

Boolit Master

Nah, Ray I guess I'm just differant. I can push a gas checked bullet hard enough to hurt my shoulder and get good groups. I just wanted to try something different. I spend a lot of time sitting with my Dad, and the TV gets old. I can talk to him and roll 50 cores dry wraped, drop them in a cartridge tray, When he is napping, load them and stop past the dozer pile and shoot them. My off hand groups are improving greatly. I have fun and I don't spend 3 cents on a gas check every round. Today I cast a 30 cal ammo can about 1/3 full of 311-291s, 311-284s and 314-299s. Some of them will get lubed and gas checked. Most will be with mid to upper cast loads and a few will get a full stuffing of IMR4350, just for the halibit,
    If I want a full power loadand PP it is 87 grns of Goex ffg, 550 grn .441 core wraped in 9# onion skin. If I ever figure out my part it will put them in your hat at a 1000.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Beekeeper
    I regulary P/P 8 MM boolits for my 2 1888 commision rifles.
    I start with a .308 boolit and patch with printer paper to .318 for the 88's.
    Like dirt farmer I get tired of the TV and set and listen to an FM radio on an ear bud and patch a hundred at a time.

One guy at the range told me I have too much time on my hands but if you don't watch the boob tube you need something to do and it keeps the hands busy.

Have 100 .449 ,358 grain P/P boolits just completed for my 71/84 Mausers and am going to shoot some next range day.

I like P/Ping as It gives a lot of flexability to my shooting(saves on buying some molds until your sure) and usually draws a crowd at the range when the confetti starts to fly.

Jim