Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Stainless Steel Tumbling Media

Stainless Steel Tumbling Media

I have been doing some research on the use of S.S. tumbling media for brass cartridge cases.All that I have seen and read about this stuff it appears to be the "cats meow" in particular with cleaning primer pockets and the inside of the cases.It costs about about the same as the ceramic media but uses dish soap and "Lemishine" available at Wal Mart.
    The Thumlers Tumbler appears to the best machine for the actual tumbling with water.It will do all case sizes without the hang ups associated with the wrong size ceramic media.Ceramic media does not do a great job of cleaning primer pockets.
    I have ordered 5lbs. of the S.S. media and will give report of it's performance,would like to hear from others who have used it.

Boolit Master

I have found, SS media will put the tarnish back in also.
    You will have to change water.
    IF you find this happens, and quickly, I have found, mixing 2mm 3mm ceramic beads in with the SS makes a BIG difference.
    I also use dawn dish soap. Works great.

Boolit Man

I've been using it for 4-6 month or so now, using the high speed "B". Haven't used on anything smaller than 30 caliber at this point.

Ordered 15 lbs of the media (.041x.265 I believe) from Pellets LLC, ended up being $70 and change delivered.

Typically don't need to run any of it more than 90 minutes or so, clean in and out.

Use about a 45 ACP case full of Leminshine, the same amount of Dawn, about a quart of water, five pounds of brass and five pounds of media.

Dump the water when done, shake the media out of the cases (I don't use a seperator), clean in hot running water for a minute or so, strain and submerge a couple more times.

I've got some dehydrator racks suspended over a 60 watt light bulb in the bottom of a galvanized trash bin - about three hours with the lid over it, the cases are dry(interior temperature doesn't pass 120F, even when left on for days).

They will tarnish/discolor after being stripped of everything that was on them, so- 20 minutes in the tumbler with corn cob and straight carnauba car wax takes care of them.

I have been using these: http://tinyurl.com/2eqcfbt and really like them. Cleans the primer pockets, and doesn't get jammed into any size case.

I've been using it for a while now and really like it. Just as docone31 says you need to change the water...it will put the tarnish back in.
    Don't follow me, I'm lost too!

At what point do you change the water/soap mixture. Tumble for 1 hour then change water tumble for another hour rinse thoroughly.Would that be a good sequence ?

That's what I do, I hour then change the water...then another hour before giving them a good rinse in water then dry them in a warm room or warm oven.
    Don't follow me, I'm lost too!

Boolit Master
    Which lemishine are you guys using-powder or liquid. Walmart sells both .Thanks !Bob

I use the powder but heard the liquid also work's.

Dang Zuke, how big is your tumbler to allow you to clean those cases? Do you use a clothes dryer?

was wondering the same thing...what the heck ya got there?

Boolit Master
    Doesn't everyone have a 30mm AN/GAU-8A Avenger, or M-230 Chain Gun? The complete round is the Inert training dummy for the US 30mm guns. I'm guessing the cases came from inert rounds as the usual ammunition used in aircraft applications are lightweight alloy (less weight = more ordinance load capacity).

Boolit Bub
    i wish they still had brass cases in the gau-8, they are all aluminum now. the brass ones are nicer to look at

Boolit Buddy
    Where can I get a mold for one of those? Time to go Godzilla hunting!
    I keep trying to stay afloat but can't help from shooting holes in my own boat.