Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30/06 16.0 grs. 2400

Boolit Master

Very nice group on that top right bullseye txbirdman.

If you complied with all the requirements you should send it in for the postal match.
    Here's the link for that thread.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=84796

EDIT
    Oops. That postal match is 10 shot groups.
    Looks like you'll have to go out and see if you can get 10 in .569"
    You know you want to...
    Last edited by Matt_G; 07-03-2010 at 06:40 PM.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    There you go Matt, trying to get me to "screw up" my 5 round group by getting it into the postal match. lol

I think I'll just keep competing with myself. I don't think I have the talent or equipment to take on some of the guys on this board. It would be a humbling experience.

Boolit Grand Master
    I hear ya, TX. That's kinda how I felt about that old Burrito Shoot that Buckshot ran. He and Gopher Slayer used to make me look pretty sappy most weeks, but I kept at it. Once in a while, I ran with the big dogs--if they had bad days and I had an especially good one at the same time. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

I have a nice, new Lee 200 grain boolit ensemble cast and ready for sizing and then seating in the emptied-out 30-06 casings from NCBS. And I plan to start with 16.0 grains of 2400, just to see what takes place downrange. These are a reasonable facsimile of the old #311290, and weigh about 204 grains in 92/6/2 alloy.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master
    Al :

Don't be surprised if they are all in a tiny " bug hole ".

Boolit Master
    Al,

As I recall that involved standing on your hind legs and shooting off hand. That will certainly seperate the men from the boys.

Boolit Grand Master
    All I have are open irons on the rifle so far--still vacillating on scope choice. So "bug holes" would be real nice--but not ultra-likely.

Correct on the Burrito Shoot usually being a hind-legs-only bit. I had one Burritoisto mention that "You shoot like a shotgunner" (Bearwalker), and he's correct. Dead-still targets ain't natcherel. They confuze me.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master
    Al :

Based on what you're describing, I don't think I have any business shooting in that " league ".

Ben

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by jimr View Post
    with that same load of 2400 with a cast 165gr bullet ,my 1917 stock eddystone loves it also.open sights 100yds 2ins. or less.
    Ben, good shooting an a dam nice rifle
    jim
    Are you using gas check boolits? I have tried 165 gr plain base in my 1917 Enfield with 16 gr 2400 and the group is about 8 inches at 50 yards. Boolits are seated just short of the rifling, base within the neck of the case. Any suggestions as to what I need to do to get better groups? One fellow said this was too much velocity for plain base.

Boolit Grand Master
    rbrtdun :

Yes, the 311290 is a gas checked boolit.

My gas checks are made with AmeriMax .014 " aluminum with Pat Marlin's g/c tool.

Are you shooting a g/c design WITHOUT the g/c, to obtain your 8", 50 yard group ?

Boolit Master
    I gave this load a try today in my Garand at 100 yards. Usually, on Wednesday only 4 or 5 of us regulars show up to shoot but, not today. Seems like a lot of folks had new rifles to try out. Anyhow, my first 5 went into 2.05" when "Cease Fire" was called for some late arrivels to post targets. I hurriedly shot my other 5 for a 10 shot group and managed to pull one high enlarging the group to 3.10". The other 9 was in 2.25".
    My boolit of choice was Lyman 311644 that does so well in my M.70 Target and when lubed and checked weighs 200 grains. In a few days, I'll give it another try and may include the RCBS 30-180 SP for a compairison.
    JDL

Boolit Mold
    Ben, I am using commercial cast 165 gr boolits with bevel base, not made for gas checks. The maker says they are BHN 18 and should be OK for 1600-1800 fps. I first tried 17 gr of 2400 and groups were terrible. I dropped back to 14 gr and there may have been a little improvement. This rifle has always shot well with jacketed bullets so I know it is capable of accuracy in the 2 inch range at 100 yds. I did thoroughly clean the bore before trying the cast loads so I don't think that is the problem. Do I need to drop down to around 1100-1200 fps with this style boolit?

Boolit Grand Master
    rbrtdun

My first thoughts would be yes, that you need to slow things down with your plain based bullets. I've never had much luck shooting plain based .30 cal. bullets much past 1350 fps or so..........

Plain based .30 cal. bullets that are bevel based......Ummmmm ? ? I'm not certain at all if I see the advantage ( if there is one ) to a bevel based .30 cal. rifle bullet.

Have you ever had an opportunity to fire some quality .30 cal cast g/c bullets out of your rifle ?

Did you mention the diameter of the cast bullets that you're shooting ?

Have you slugged your bore to determine the actual dia. of the bore ?

Thanks,

Ben

Boolit Mold

30/06 16.0 grs. 2400

Ben, the cast boolits I have were made by Missouri Bullet and weigh 165 grs. They measure .309 at the base and .300 in front of the top lube band. I have not slugged the bore on my rifle, but as I said, it always shot jacketed pretty well. I just wanted to try cast for light loads and reduced cost. This is the first time and I am definitely on a learning curve. I recently purchased some Trail Boss and loaded a few with 10 grs and some with 11 grs but have not had opportunity to try them. That is supposed to give about 1100 to 1200 fps. One problem I am encountering is that a lot of available data is out there for gas check boolits, but very little for plain base. I also tried 25 grs of H4895 and got the same wild groups as 17 grs of 2400.
    Perhaps things will improve with the low doses of Trail Boss.
    Thanks for your help.

Boolit Grand Master
    Data absence can sometimes be a clue as to how to progress. Just sayin'.

Boolit Grand Master
    When looking through reloading manuals for help in the shooting of plain based .30 cal boolits , you'll be pretty much out of luck. There is reloading data for the 06', but 99.9 % of the cast boolit data is for the application with cast will be with a g/c'd boolit.

With you 30 - 06, try 8.0 grs. of Bullseye or 9.5 grs. of Unique with your plain based boolits. Might do a lot better ? ?