WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Set up for swaging 22 caliber bullets?

30 hours seems like a lot to me. Especially if you have done it several times before. I'm not challenging the statement, it just seems like a lot.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    No it was the first set, including making the reamers to cut the point die.

Im sure the people that do it for a living have a much better turnover.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ANeat View Post
    Rich I think youre thinking of Dave Corbins stuff. Im not sure if Richard even offers a set for reloading press operation.

For $800.00 you would be pretty close to dies and a press from Richard.

But yes the prices will motivate a guy to get creative

One of the guys doing his own dies estimated he had 30 hours in one set
    Yeah, I just checked, it was Dave.

Time I have, lathe I have, mill I have, retired tool&die maker father I have, $1600 for 2 sets of dies I don't.

Lots of other things that take priority for now. Midway had Hornady blems again so I bought enough for this year. If I run out and don't have money to buy more I will get more motivated.

I did get a workable derimming die made, I suppose that is a start.

I guess a core mold would be next.

Boolit Master
    Yes from what I hear the point die is the worse/difficult one to make.

Worse case you can buy that one for $205 from Richard and make the others

Quote Originally Posted by richbug View Post
    Yeah, I just checked, it was Dave.

Lots of other things that take priority for now. Midway had Hornady blems again so I bought enough for this year.
    By chance did you get any of the 68 grain match bullets? How are they to shoot and what is your barrel twist?
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
    By chance did you get any of the 68 grain match bullets? How are they to shoot and what is your barrel twist?
    I bought 500 55 grain .224" V-maxes and 500 87 grain .243 V-maxes.

I have never shot the 87 gr 243's, but the 55 grain .224's are "flying black death" on groundhogs. Tiny hole in, no exit, the chucks just stop and raise their tail. It doesn't seem to matter where you hit them.

I shoot them in 1 in 12 and 1 in 9 barrels. Both rifles will shoot .5" groups at 100Y.

Sweet. My 223 is a Kimber bolt gun with a 1:9 twist. The only bullets I have found that shoot well are the Sierra 63 grain Semi Point and the Nosler 40 grain Ballistic Tip. It won't shoot 55 grain bullets worth a darn. The 63 grain bullet is the one I'd like to swage myself.

My Rem 700 221 Fireball shoots everything equally well up to 55 grain bullets, it has a 1:12 twist. Mostly I shoot Ballistic Tip bullets, Nosler and Sierra work really well and 40 grains is the preference. Crows just explode when I shoot them.

Boolit Bub
    flashhole:

The BSS press is a horizontal swaging press made by Bullet Swaging Supply, Inc (Larry Blackmon). Dies mount in the ram and the punch holders in the frame of the press. The ram toggle fastens to the top of the press (think the Redding Ultra Mag laid on its back).

Ram travel is about 2 inches with ejection of the swaged core, cored jacket and pointed bullet on the up stroke of the handle, no ejection fame needed. For $150, it is a nice system. Swage 224 bullets with 2 fingers, no sweat.

Sorry, no pictures.

Good swaging.

Jim

Boolit Bub
    flashhole:

On Benchrest Central, Competition BenchRest - Only, BR Bullet Making, post #112 has a picture of the BSS Press and dies plus shots of different stages of bullet making. Al Nyhus makes some nice 30 caliber bullets.

Good swaging.

Jim
    Last edited by jdjframes; 04-23-2010 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Add info

Thanks, I'll check that out.

I found it, if I can't get my press modified to use I will pick up that press.
    Last edited by flashhole; 04-23-2010 at 01:35 PM.