RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Set up for swaging 22 caliber bullets?

Set up for swaging 22 caliber bullets?

Been lurking on this forum for some time now. Long time reloader, want to get into swaging bullets for my 22 caliber long guns and I have a Redding Ultramag press I can dedicate to the job. I've been looking at the die sets that allows one to form 22 bullet jackets from 22lr brass and make finished bullets.

The question is - will the Ultramag be up to the task? What kind of bullet quality problems can I expect using this press? I see guys who use the Lee Classic Cast for swaging (I have one of those too) but they have it outfitted with supplementary hardware. I don't fully understand the use/purpose of the additional metal they attach to their press.

My thinking is to go the Ultramag route since I have a spare press and figure everything out before I dole out the cash for a Walnut Hill press and have to wait a year to get going. Ultimately I'd like to swage for several different larger calibers but want to learn with the small stuff.

About the dies - please voice opinons as to which route I should take.

I appreciate any help here. Thanks.

Mike
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    Mike swaging 22 bullets is pretty easy, de-rimming is probably the toughest part. After that I think about any reloading press could handle the task.

The only problem is that dies for a reloading press and dies for a swage press are not the same.

Reloading press dies will have some option for an ejector (probably what youre seeing)

Swage press dies are designed with the ejector built in basicly. The bullet (or core) gets stuffed into the die, it needs to be pushed out somehow.

I read your - Let's make a press - thread a few times. Nice work.

My assumption is if I bought the Corbin die kit I could use it on my press and make 22 caliber bullets. Would I need any other tools?

Does Larry Blackmon make a similar set of dies? I can't find an internet link to him or his products.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    They make swage dies for reloading presses, but they are not the same as dies for swage presses. The press just has different mechanics so things are done different.

Dave Corbin has reloading press dies, Im not sure if Richard Corbin does.

I know Larry Blackmon sells a modified ram for reloading presses, he sells only thru e-mail, phone. His contact info is on here somewhere.

Certainly wouldnt hurt to ask, The press you have would probably work. If swaging 223 bullets is all you need to do that would be a decent setup.

Boolit Master
    If I could ever get off my dead nether parts I may dig out some swage tools I will sell or trade.
    Somewhere put safely away in a location that seems to have become a well kept secret I should have #1 a Dave Corbin de rimming die with punch, #2 a Dave Corbin two die set with core seat and point form die. #3 a Dave Corbin 4 cavity core mold, #4 a Dave Corbin core cutter, and several spools of lead wire of various diameters.
    If someone were to entice me with a trade offer it is possible that I may be motivated enough to find the mystery location.
    So sorry to intrude on your thread so I will add that your ultra mag will be all that is needed for these and then some. As has been said the de rimming will be the challenge with any lesser press. Even with a lesser press the de rimming can be done but may require two steps using two different die settings.
    BTW this is everything you need to make bullets if you can live with a slight weight variation. If you can not live with the variation you will have to add a core swage die.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Bub

set up for swaging 22 caliber bullets

Mike:

Your Redding Ultra Mag press is more than enough for swaging 22 caliber bullets.

Might contact Larry Blackmon for press alteration and dies. He supplies a modified ram to use his dies, which also fit his BSS Press - a nice little setup by the way. You can change the ram back and forth to swage and reload, not a big deal. His system ejects the swaged core, seated core and finished bullet on the up-stroke of the press handle, no ejection frame needed.

I use modified RCBS Rockchuckers and Larry's dies with excellent results.

Bullet Swaging Supply, Inc.
    PO Box 1056
    West Monroe LA 71291

Larry E. Blackmon
    leblackmon@colla.com

Good swaging.

Jim
    Last edited by jdjframes; 04-19-2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks for all the responses guys. I think I will contact Mr. Blackmon. I like the idea of a dedicated ram for swaging on the Ultramag and since I have two it won't inconvienience me at the bench.

Boolit Man
    It's been quite a few years since I talked with Dr Blackmon, but if I remember right, he only makes ram kits for the old and new (er) Rockchuckers (not sure about the new Supreme). I went with his swaging press/dies for .22 caliber

I sent an email to Dr. Blackmon two days ago but so far no response.

Boolit Bub

Set up for swaging bullets

Mike:

Larry is a dentist by trade.

Sometimes a little slow on e-mail, give him time. He always gets an answer to me, usually with in a week, sometimes the same day.

I think you will be well pleased if you decide to go with his stuff. I know he will modify the ram for RCs, Lyman Orange Crush and some big Pacific press.

I think the Ultra Mag would be ideal unless there is something I don't know about it.

There is a balance between what the professional benchrest bullet makers and the rest of us need. They need the ultimate in precision, bullet after bullet for hundreds of thousands, or even millions of bullets. We need the same precision for only thousands, or at most tens of thousands.

A good set of steel dies will make all the bullets most people will care to shoot and then pass then to their kids.

One thing, keep everything CLEAN, CLEAN!

Good swaging.

Jim

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
    I sent an email to Dr. Blackmon two days ago but so far no response.
    Please let us know when you here from Dr. Blackmon. I too emailed him a couple of days ago and am anxious to learn of his prices and delivery times.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by plus1hdcp View Post
    Please let us know when you here from Dr. Blackmon. I too emailed him a couple of days ago and am anxious to learn of his prices and delivery times.

Same here. I'd like a set in 243 and 22, but can't swallow Corbin prices.

Maybe he could bill me via my dental insurance????

Boolit Master

I don't think that would work, as he is an eye doctor (optomatrist).
    At least that is what his receptionist told me when I called him.
    He is running about 3 months brhind in orders.
    He called me last week and said that my order should be here in about 2 weeks

Boolit Bub
    Richbug:

Think you will be pleasantly surprised with Larry's prices. My borchure form a year or so ago has $465 for a modified RC ram and 3 die set, $520 for a BSS press and the same 3 dies. A second set of dies would be about $370. Somewhat less than either Corbin.

Remember the difference in the needs of the professional swager and the hobby swager. I personally don't need a set of carbide dies to swage all the bullets I'll ever shoot. A properly used and cleaned set of steel dies should make around 50,000 bullets before wearing enough to cause problems, but they can be ruined the first time used if someone doesn't read the instructions or crams a dirty jacket into them. Carbide dies should make millions of bullets, but can be cracked by too much pressure.

Three months sounds about right.

Good swaging!

Jim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfloyd View Post

I don't think that would work, as he is an eye doctor (optomatrist).
    At least that is what his receptionist told me when I called him.
    He is running about 3 months brhind in orders.
    He called me last week and said that my order should be here in about 2 weeks

Got vision too.

$370 is half or so of what the Corbins want. Still twice what I was hoping for. Where is Lee when you need them?

Boolit Master
    My Richard Corbin 22 dies were sub $500.00. Now if youre looking to make boat-tailed bullets those dies are $688

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ANeat View Post
    My Richard Corbin 22 dies were sub $500.00. Now if youre looking to make boat-tailed bullets those dies are $688

I guess I was so shocked at the price of the whole "KIT" at $803 that is stuck in my mind.

I think I am going to play with the lathe the next rainy day I get.

Quote Originally Posted by jdjframes View Post
    Mike:

Larry is a dentist by trade.

Sometimes a little slow on e-mail, give him time. He always gets an answer to me, usually with in a week, sometimes the same day.

I think you will be well pleased if you decide to go with his stuff. I know he will modify the ram for RCs, Lyman Orange Crush and some big Pacific press.

I think the Ultra Mag would be ideal unless there is something I don't know about it.

There is a balance between what the professional benchrest bullet makers and the rest of us need. They need the ultimate in precision, bullet after bullet for hundreds of thousands, or even millions of bullets. We need the same precision for only thousands, or at most tens of thousands.

A good set of steel dies will make all the bullets most people will care to shoot and then pass then to their kids.

One thing, keep everything CLEAN, CLEAN!

Good swaging.

Jim
    Thanks for that, I am a patient person so I will wait. Seems there are multiple inquiries he needs to respond to. Good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by jdjframes View Post
    Richbug:

Think you will be pleasantly surprised with Larry's prices. My borchure form a year or so ago has $465 for a modified RC ram and 3 die set, $520 for a BSS press and the same 3 dies. A second set of dies would be about $370. Somewhat less than either Corbin.

Good swaging!

Jim
    What is a BSS press? Will you please elaborate on that a bit. Any chance of you posting a picture.

Boolit Master
    Rich I think youre thinking of Dave Corbins stuff. Im not sure if Richard even offers a set for reloading press operation.

For $800.00 you would be pretty close to dies and a press from Richard.

But yes the prices will motivate a guy to get creative

One of the guys doing his own dies estimated he had 30 hours in one set