Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My shot at home hollow lube

Boolit Bub

My shot at home hollow lube

Well, here is my stab at the homemade hollow core lube. The mix is 50% beeswax, 40% crisco, and 10% canola oil. (Measurements were guessed at.) Photos show how I 'cast' the tubes of lube. Works OK, still in first stage of developing the system. First thing learned, pour a little in base BEFORE putting the plastic pipe into the wood block and let it set up to seal before filling the pipe with melted lube. Second thing, don't forget to put the washer in place to cneter the 3/8th rod.
    Otherwise, photos are explanatory.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 330.jpg   Picture 331.jpg   Picture 332.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Your lube mix is "Emmert's" home mix and is great for this job as it shrinks as it cools. This allows you to easily remove the tubes. Depending on the lube, it can be a real problem.

I pan lube with Emmert's for black powder cartridge rifles and revolvers and it works beautifully for that job. It also works well for standard velocity handgun loads and Schuetzen rifle bullets.

Nice work on the moulds. I use a chop saw to cut the pipe so that they are consistent and square. I suggest that you bevel the inner corners of the pipe so that they slip easily over the lube.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Bub
    Yes, I know Buck Emmert and his son Steve Emmert. They both sometimes shoot in Pioneer Gun Club .22 bench rest matches and frequently set up tables at MVACA Summer & Winter Gun Shows.
    It was not untill reading posts here in Cast Boolits that I knew Buck had developed the lube formula.

Boolit Master
    Thanks c.robertson.

New to the site, but hae been intending to make a tube system, so thanks for sharing.

Keep em comng!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Man
    It looks like a funnel would help you out. It would be best to get one that the spout would fit nicely inside your pipe (take a piece to the store). Other than that, great idea, may have to give it a try some time! What about putting silicone sealant in the bottom of the wood, then slightly pressing the PVC into it when almost dry so it makes an indentation. That would hold up to the heat no problem and may keep it from leaking even when molten (MAY being the key word).

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudgunr View Post
    It looks like a funnel would help you out.
    Like fellow Texan and ZZ Top frontman, Billy Gibbons says, "The Dollar Store, man. The Dollar Store is cool. Everything's a dollar."

I got my funnels for making and pouring lube at The Dollar Store.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Like fellow Texan and ZZ Top frontman, Billy Gibbons says, "The Dollar Store, man. The Dollar Store is cool. Everything's a dollar."

I got my funnels for making and pouring lube at The Dollar Store.

For some unknown reason, melted boolit lube is dang near impossible pour where you want it. I think the difficulty in pouring is proportional to the mess is makes when spilled, I think that will be added to Gear's Rules soon.

....you know whadime talkin' about....Just lemme know, when you wanna go....

Gear

Boolit Bub
    I am going to adjust the process a bit when 'redoing' it. Will still hold the PVC pipe in wood, but will plug the bottom with a rubber stopper and melt the lube in a hot pot / cup. Somewhere here that was suggested by anoter member. The hot cups only cost about $20.00, or less, hold 32 oz, and the lube can poured directly into the PVC pipe. It will be MUCH more efficient. Can also pour it directly into the Luber-A-Sizer also. But that will not be for a while, have 10 tubes already made.

Boolit Master

"For some unknown reason, melted boolit lube is dang near impossible pour where you want it. I think the difficulty in pouring is proportional to the mess is makes when spilled, I think that will be added to Gear's Rules soon."

I make my lube in an old metal purculator type coffee pot, it has a pour spout but I still spill some, wouldn't be lube making if you didn't!!
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    I have found that if my missus is not yelling at me about spilt lube, then I feel like I have not got the whole experience.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Master
    NOW YOU TELL ME!!!!!!

And after I've made two trips over the carpet with a pot of melted bullet lube.

If'n I'd spilt some, I'd probably had to come to live at one of your houses!!!!!

Keep em coming!!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    For some unknown reason, melted boolit lube is dang near impossible pour where you want it. I think the difficulty in pouring is proportional to the mess is makes when spilled, I think that will be added to Gear's Rules soon.

Gear
    If I DON'T make a mess when brewing up a new batch of lube, I get real shaky and paranoid and immediately throw the whole damned batch away. I then strip down buck nekkid and run the water hose over me while scrubbing with a bar of Lava soap and Goop hand-cleaner, washing away whatever evil spirits may have contaminated me.

Thank goodness Randyrat understands and keeps spare beeswax on hand just for this sort of occasion.

When the lube pours directly into the molds with ye little spillage or mess, I take that as a very bad sign.

Boolit Buddy

I'm in the process of making pretty much the same operation. How long is a stick of lube?
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America " for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Boolit Bub
    Four inches seems to be the norm. Mine are a bit longer at 5" and fit the RCBS Lube-A-Sizer just fine.
    As mentioned in previous post, future effort(s) will entail the use of rubber stoppers to seal the bottom of the tubes to reduce spillage.
    Good luck.

Boolit Buddy

I'm going to use pvc caps to seal the end (except for that nice 3/8" hole). I am going to go down to the man cave and see what I can come up with tonight.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America " for an amount of "up to and including my life."

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by wiersy111 View Post
    I'm going to use pvc caps to seal the end (except for that nice 3/8" hole). I am going to go down to the man cave and see what I can come up with tonight.
    First lube mold setup I made, I tried just drilling holes in the plywood base, wrapping a little duct tape around the end of the PVC to get a snug fit in the hole, then pouring the molten lube in.

The result was a plethora of profanity as my molten lube went everywhere.

Someone else suggested the endcaps, so I bought some, drilled holes in them for the dowels and it worked quite a bit better.

I still feel obligated to make a mess, though. Just wouldn't be proper lube-making if I didn't and I certainly wouldn't trust the boolits to shoot right as a result.

Boolit Buddy

Well it works pretty good! I had to sand the tubes to make them slide in and out of the caps easier. While the lube is still liquid I put a washer and nut on to so that when it cools I can just pull the tube off the fresh lube stick. I have high hopes for this little set up.

In Remembrance

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by wiersy111 View Post
    While the lube is still liquid I put a washer and nut on to so that when it cools I can just pull the tube off the fresh lube stick.
    Looks excellent!

One question: Where do you put your washer and nut and when? That part is what I was trying to figure out from looking at your pictures. (It's too early and I'm still working on my a.m. caffeine "heart-jumpstart" liquids).

I use a cut off broom handle and flat washer to push my lube out of the tubes, but it looks like you have a MUCH better idea and method, which is why I'm curious.

Again, great job.

Boolit Buddy

The cap stays bolted to the base, I put a a washer at the bottom to close the bottom. Some leaks into the cap but not much. After I fill the tubes and it starts to set is when I put the washer and nut on. I made some sticks of Carnuba Red last night that stuff was sticky. But it still pulled out nicely.

Boolit Buddy
    Good idea Very Nice