Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee die to "DeGlock" brass

Boolit Master
    I just ordered the EGW die to see how it will do, I don't have a Glock, but an MP40 and a Uzi will give you that same bulge..the MP40 from a large chamber and the UZI from it's advanced firing system that actually fires the round a few milliseconds before it's fully chambered.......slows down the cyclic rate. I currently have to segregate the subgun brass from the regular pistol ammo.hope this works.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

I've got one of the Redding dies.. I have to say it works pretty well. Sized case recovery is a bit wonkey... Yep That's a technical term.. Splurging for the plastic bottle and adapter is kind of much.

Otherwise, It does work like a charm though... I can tell when I hit a truely glocked case - it's a bit of a push through - hope you bench is sturdy!!
    "Unnh, Negative. I am a meat popsicle."

Chuck

Boolit Master
    Looks like the lawyers got to Lee and that is why they don't have the bulge buster on the website, wither that or they just don't feel like updating it...

From Lee's Website:

"We do not recommend "fixing" cases fired in pistols with unsupported chambers, because there is no way to make them safe once they have bulged. The case wall is thinned where it bulges, and resizing the outside of the case back down to the correct diameter does not restore the case back to its original thickness. If this case is fired in a pistol with an unsupported chamber again, and this thinned section of brass happens to line up with the unsupported part of the chamber, there is a high probability that the case will rupture."

It is a good explanation as to why not to use "fixed" cases in Glocks
    Last edited by rtracy2001; 02-17-2010 at 12:51 AM.

As stated previously, I only plan to use the "de-Glocked" brass in the Lone Wolf barrel, at only low to medium power loadings. Something in my engineer "spidey-sense" said it would not be good to fix the bulge, and then put it right back into the factory Glock barrel.

As such, only new factory rounds, or virgin brass plus j-word projectiles will see the Glock barrel. I just got notification today, the Lone Wolf is on the road heading to my location.

Right now, I'm using once-fired 40 S&W brass, in a SW990. I noted early on, that about 10% of the reloaded rounds would not go into battery. When I looked into it, I noted the characteristic bulge, and figured this must have been the victim of an unsupported base (i.e. Glocked). It is my understanding that the SW990 has the fully supported chamber.

All this got me to investigating the 10mm Glock, and the things I was prepared to do to ensure consistent function with cast boolits and fired resized brass.

Boolit Master

As many know Glock says not to use reloads. guess that is part of the Lee story. I have worked about 3000 brass. Done right it takes 2 steps.
    First is run them through a .421 push through. next step is a Lyman FL sizer and grind the bottom of die flush to the carbide insert..
    It will size the full case back to factory new.
    You cannot size a Glocked case in a Lyman die from start. The carbide will cut the brass off the head area. I have checked RCBS dies and they will not size the ring out Lyman will but you need to grind the die flush

Boolit Master
    And when it does blow on the ? time is been loaded and shot in a glock it will probably shred the frame.

I am considering the RCBS tool because I get most of my brass through the local Police Chief who's department uses Glocks. About 10% of my rounds hang up failing to fully chamber. I also realize case life will not be as long however since about 25% of the brass is likely to be lost easch outing it isn't going to see many firings anyway and most is used for lower pressure plinking rounds.

Boolit Master
    The EGW die showed up today and it's a Lee Carbide sizing die and decaper.........not meant to resize loaded rounds but to deprime them. I sized a few that were shot from my MP40 and they just dropped right into my case gauge and were swallowed up in my 228 Sig...so far so good!!!
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Master
    i mean what the heck do they think we are going to do shoot factory stuff in our glocks then use this and only reload for our beretta 96 or smith and wesson?
    Probably covering their butts legally, by "discouraging" using it for Glocked brass, while knowing that's what it's being purchased for.

If you keep reducing the bulge and then blowing it back out in a
    glock your brass life will be very short.
    That's why I purchased an aftermarket barrel for my Glock. After pusing Glocked brass completely through the sizer once to remove the bulge they are fired in the supported chamber which keeps them from bulging again.

Randy

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using the lee fcd die to "DEGLOCK" my 40sw brass. I have always been careful with this caliber when reloading due to the possiably of a kaboom. I never reload it more than twice since brass is cheapier than a new glock. my normal loading sequence is as follows: first i deprime, then tumble brass, then resize with sizing die, then lube and push through fcd die ( with the top screw and carbide sizer removed from die). I use a dummy 38 special round (bullet and case only) for the pusher (must have a 38 special shell holder). I cut a hole in the botton of a plactic cup, obtained at mapco's soda fountian, and place it over the die to catch cases. after all that hard work i trim cases clean primer pocket, and tumble again for a short time to remove debris oils from hand etc... after this i store i zip lock bags using gloves ( i have had problems with stored brass turning brown). Now it is not neccessary to do all this but i always take extra caution with 40 sw brass and this method allows me to inspect it several times. I am currently loading 180gn berry rs (sorry no cast booliets in glock YET!!!)

Boolit Bub
    I got the Redding GRX, made a small YouTube video of it as well.

Works pretty darn good for me. I am looking into getting an aftermarket barrel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR5a0P6_75M

Glenn
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post
    about 10 yrs ago a offered dillon a set of full lenght pistol case sizing dies....they passed.

mike in co
    I have a friend that has a dillon die for 45 and one for 40 like that. Takes it to spec all the way down the case, including case head...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Buddy
    "A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

THIS QUOTE IS TRUE, BUT IT IS EVEN FAR BETTER TO BE A COP WITH A GUN IN YOUR HAND.

Boolit Master
    I use glock fired brass with no problems. I get 99% of my 9mm brass from a police range. And i just run it into a size die. No issues yet.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

i too had seen a add and worse i seen the instructions before i saw the add ( on lee's web page) and have to admit i had wondered why i havent seen it in dealer stocks ,ur's guy's discussion brings a bit more than i first thought to light ( thanx amigos ! )

I never understand all these add on dies for "special Glock brass". Properly sizing your brass will eliminate any bulge. If your brass is bulging in the first place, a resizing die is the least of your worries. I would not tolerate that one bit.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    I never understand all these add on dies for "special Glock brass". Properly sizing your brass will eliminate any bulge. If your brass is bulging in the first place, a resizing die is the least of your worries. I would not tolerate that one bit.
    As I understand it, many factory Glock barrels do not fully support the cartridge case, especially where the feed ramp comes into the barrel. When you fire a Glock, the brass case expands and fills the chamber, but since part of the case has no chamber supporting it, the brass continues to expand and bulges.

Regular resizing can't effectively size the Glock bulge because the bulge occurs so low on the case (the shell holder won't allow the case to enter the sizer). Since the 40 S&W cartridge is rimless, A push through sizer can be used to remove the bulge. The only other way to size so low on the case would be a Colet style sizer (like a MEC Sizemaster Shot shell reloader), but I haven't seen any of those available yet.

If you don't remove the bulge, the reloaded round may not chamber, or worse may rupture or jam.

In Remembrance

It's not just Glock. There are some other brands that do not support the brass in the chamber. Glock seems to be the worst due to their oversize chambers to provide reliability when firing all brands of ammo. Probably why Glock doesn't want you to reload for your Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by rtracy2001 View Post
    As I understand it, many factory Glock barrels do not fully support the cartridge case, especially where the feed ramp comes into the barrel. When you fire a Glock, the brass case expands and fills the chamber, but since part of the case has no chamber supporting it, the brass continues to expand and bulges.
    There are no firearms available today that 100% fully support the casehead. Even my .375 H&H Magnum TC Encore pistol operating at 65,000 psi didn't fully support the case.

Regular resizing can't effectively size the Glock bulge because the bulge occurs so low on the case (the shell holder won't allow the case to enter the sizer).
    I come across a lot of different brass fired from a great array of guns. I've never ever had an issue properly sizing any case that I've come across. I reload for a lot of agencies that use Glock .40 caliber guns and never had an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    Probably why Glock doesn't want you to reload for your Glock.
    No, Glock doesn't want to pay for repairs due to incompetent handloading. Same as most every other gun maker.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Master
    For anyone wishing to give the Lee "bulgebuster" a try, these folks have it on sale for $12.95

https://kempfgunshop.com

I have the Lee FCD, so I figured why not? It is on its way.

RT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast