Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Feedback on Winchester 1885 remake

Boolit Master

Feedback on Winchester 1885 remake

I'm going to look at a newer production (2005 I think) Winchester 1885 in .223 Remington.......any pros/cons???
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb in Pa View Post
    I'm going to look at a newer production (2005 I think) Winchester 1885 in .223 Remington.......any pros/cons???
    Herb,

An interesting combination. Not the caliber I would envision for a 1885. But the ammo can be found cheap, and it is easy to shoot.

Usually 223 brings an AR or varmint rig to mind. A 1885 with a scope just doesn't seem right. To each their own.

Now if it were in 22 Hornet, 25-20, 25-35, 32-40 that would scratch an itch. But that's just me.

ammohead

Boolit Master
    I've got an extra Unertl that I would use on this one.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    Herb,

An interesting combination. Not the caliber I would envision for a 1885. But the ammo can be found cheap, and it is easy to shoot.

Usually 223 brings an AR or varmint rig to mind. A 1885 with a scope just doesn't seem right. To each their own.
    Now if it were in 22 Hornet, 25-20, 25-35, 32-40 that would scratch an itch. But that's just me.

ammohead
    Man...you hurt my feelin's.

Here's a pic of my 1886 made Lowall that I picked up many years ago after haggling with a shop own for a year. It was basically junk with a lot of pits and rust and a sewer pipe barrel. Now it is chambered for 218 Mashburn Bee...

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master

Talking

Herb in Pa, are you looking at a highwall or a lowwall. I have the Browning's in .223Rem and .260Rem on a lowwall action and Just got moulds for both of them. I also have the highwalls in a bunch of calibers here is a picture of my 30-30Win. with a Redding 3200 24X scope that I am thinking of putting one of my Unertl scopes on.
    Last edited by Doc Highwall; 03-03-2010 at 02:54 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    Herb in Pa, are you looking at a highwall or a lowwall. I have the Browning's in .223Rem and .260Rem on a lowwall action and Just got moulds for both of them. I also have the highwalls in a bunch of calibers here is a picture of my 30-30Win. with a Redding 3200 24X scope that I am thinking of putting one of my Unertl scopes on.
    My buddy just mentioned that he was thinking of selling it, I haven't seen it for some time, but it does have an octagon barrel if that means anything. Edit...I just called him and it's labeled as a Highwall Hunter with a 28" barrel....any idea on it's worth as well?
    Last edited by Herb in Pa; 01-29-2010 at 07:34 PM. Reason: added info

Boolit Master
    Don't like the triggers. At least the one that was on the Browning BPCR I had. Unless they've changed the mechanism I find it hard to believe they've improved. My $.02
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by scb View Post
    Don't like the triggers. At least the one that was on the Browning BPCR I had. Unless they've changed the mechanism I find it hard to believe they've improved. My $.02
    My 2009 Winchester High Wall (38-55) has an adjustable trigger. I've set it at it's lowest setting and it's a decent trigger IMO. However, I've heard others complain about the triggers on their Brownings. I suppose it's possible that Browning heard the complaints and have improved the triggers?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
    My 2009 Winchester High Wall (38-55) has an adjustable trigger. I've set it at it's lowest setting and it's a decent trigger IMO. However, I've heard others complain about the triggers on their Brownings. I suppose it's possible that Browning heard the complaints and have improved the triggers?
    That's good to hear. The one I had was in no real way adjustable. There was some non-sense about removing the stock bolt and dropping a pin down the hole or something like that, but that's not adjustable. Other than the trigger, I liked the rifle. It didn't have the "charm" of an original, but everything else was reasonably well done
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by scb View Post
    That's good to hear. The one I had was in no real way adjustable. There was some non-sense about removing the stock bolt and dropping a pin down the hole or something like that, but that's not adjustable. Other than the trigger, I liked the rifle. It didn't have the "charm" of an original, but everything else was reasonably well done
    The adjustment screw on my 1885 Winchester is easily accessed with a screwdriver without removing anything. Manufacturers seem to have FINALLY gotten away from the "lawyer proof" triggers. All I can say is: "About time!!"

Boolit Buddy
    I may be all wrong about this but here goes.

It may be that a screw can be placed in one of the tang sight mounting holes and adjusted to bear against the sear and limit engagement. I don't have one of these rifles but it seems that I have read about this. I believe some of them don't have tangs which would be a problem. This fix may be attributed to a fellow named McGee. I'm probably all wet.

Boolit Bub
    I bought an 1885 in 22-250 about 1990 or so, converted it to 32-40 in '92, it worked really well for me as a 22-250, even better as a 32-40. I then bought one of what I believe, was maybe the last year's run of highwall .223 in '93, it's accounted for a fair nbr of yotees & a pile of gophers. The hammer can be lightened,the springs can be beefed up, and the trigger can be cleaned up. I'd like to acquire another one and turn it into a .338.
    For the 32-40, I use a Nikon 6.5-20x50mm and the .223 has a 3.5-10x50 leupold w/dot reticle on it. Shot cast lyman 55gr with gaschecks out of the 22-250 & the 223, both would hold 3/4" @ 100yds with the factory barrels.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey guys,

There are several ways to improve on the Browning/Winchester 1885 high wall triggers. It's all in my book including the McGee modification (screw in the stock bolt hole) and other techniques. www.texas-mac.com.

By the way, the adjustable trigger has been on all the Browning and now Winchester 1885's made by Miroku since Browning introduced the receiver. The adjustment only has a limited range and on some rifles the screw is hard to adjust due to junk in the threads. If your's does not work properly it's easy to remove the trigger & trigger spring and then remove the adjustment screw to clean the threads and oil. Although the 1st part of my book is dedicated to the BPCR models, there is a large chapter on disassembly and assembly of the Miroku 1885 action, common to all the modern Browning & Winchester 1885 actions .

Wayne
    Last edited by texasmac; 02-04-2010 at 01:44 PM.
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Boolit Master
    Wayne
    How can I get your book?
    FYI
    I got a flyer from Davidsons that shows the hunter model in 405 Win for $750.00
    That is the model with the tapered octigon barrel with both barrel sights and Marbles tang sight. Unfortunately they also use the steel cresent butt.
    Good price though. Since single shots dont sell well here I wont get any. And since I already have a B-78 converted to 405 I cant rightly say I need one.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Buddy
    Bullshop,

Just go to my web site: www.texas-mac.com & click on the ordering page.

By the way, the book only covers the Miroku 1885 action. Although the Browning B78 action is close, there are some differences. Plus, I've never pulled apart a B78. Thanks.

Wayne
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Boolit Buddy
    I found a 223 high wall a few years back. My only complaint is that I don't get enough time to shoot it. Trigger didn't seem to bad, shot under an inch @100 yards with jacketed ammo. I later found the scope was a bit loose so I can't say if it gets better or worse. A bit more modern than my bcpr or c sharp highwalls but (I felt) better than a No 1. (at least without the No1's issues - not to get off on a tangent but the No1 can be fussy)
    I have a few 223s and felt is would be a nice addition and more in line with the cast boolit tradition. Just something I like about single shots...

Brian

Boolit Master

McGowen is making high walls now, take a look see. http://www.americangunllc.com/catalog1.htm

Boolit Master
    Funny it says at the McGowen site that it will only be chambered in origonal black powder cartridges like the 405 Win and 444 Marlin.
    Makes them look kinda silly dont it?
    Wayne
    I did a triger job on a B-78 back in the day. Its been a long time. What I remember is that there were several small detent springs with plungers that all had to be compressed with the breech block assembly and incerted into the receiver at the same time. It was something of a juggling act. I do remember saying I would never do it again.
    I contacted Browning and they said "do not take it appart". I have never been good at taking advice.
    BIC/BS