RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Enkarge a Lee 6cav TL

Boolit Grand Master

Enkarge a Lee 6cav TL

Has anyone enlarged a Lee TL mold???
    I have a 6cav I want to do, but being a 6cav, I'm worried about them all being the same size.
    It's a 309-160gr.

Boolit Grand Master

First off How much do you want to enlarge it? This is important to know as it will determine grit and compound used and how much you work each cavity. It can be done and its going to be time consuming at best. Doing a multi cavity mould is only a little different than a single cavity is. It is a slower process not just because of the added cavities but the process also.
    The process:
    1) cast 6 good slugs and number them to cavity before dropping them out of mould
    2) install pins in the bases but maintain cavity id this important later. The lathe you bought will be a help here. a length of 3/32 key stock cut 1 1/2" long measure across corners and drill hole as deep as possible with out breaking thru. Epoxy pins in holes. These are your lapps

3) depending on amount to be removed select grit. Doing a six cavity I would start with very fine compound maybe even tooth paste.

4) impregnate lapp #1 with compound ( a small amount spread on a steel plate and rolled thru it between 2 plates). Insert in cavity one and gently close blocks around it. work in a tapping motion back and forth 1/4 turn 2 times 1 full rotation. Use this lapp thru all six cavities

5) here you can clean and cast to check size.

6) impregnate lapp2 and starting at cavity 2 repeat thru the 6 cavities as above.

7) again cast and check size.

8) repeat above with each lapp starting in its cavity and working thru all 6 cavities. Clean and preheat cast between each lapp to check size.

Having the lead pot fired and ready to go speeds up the process, use the same alloy as the bullets to get true size and check often. Its better to work sow with a finer grit its easier to remove more than add it back.

Optimum is to work one lapp from each cavity thru each cavity in the mould in order. thru wear on the lapp and any cavity variations this keeps the cavities very close in size. This will also keep the cavities very round.

The tape method may work as well here.

Boolit Grand Master
    They cast .309 to .310, so I would like them to be .311.
    I was just worried about the shallow TL lube grooves.

if only it is .001 why not make PC?
    I was doing it with a Lee of two cavities and fine compound and the truth is that I have not widened it much
    So the next step for me is PC

Buy a double cavity .312. Leave your good 6 banger be.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC17756.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	239332You can always `beagle` the mould with aluminium self adhesive heating tape, which should give you up to .003 increase in diameter.

Just apply tape to ONE side of each mould cavity and away you go!

This is an easy non-permanent method, that ensures your mould is not altered and can be put back to original specs by just removing the tape.

Here is a d/c steel mould that has been beagled, but the principle is the same.

ukrifleman.

Boolit Grand Master
    I do PC boolets.
    But I size first. Seat check at the same time.
    Would like when to cast bigger, so when sized, it will make up for variations from mold temp.
    Noticed when sizing, some don't size all the way around.
    Could just be the mold, but Still would be easier to have then larger.
    I was thinking of trying to beagle.
    I've done it on one and two cav molds.

Boolit Master
    Remember that the rifle bullet has two critical measurements. One is the nose and the other is the driving bands. If the nose is too small now, powder coating will build it up and might become too large to chamber. If the nose is a good fit now, remove the nose and just use the body as a lap for the driving bands.