RepackboxLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 25-20 cases and reloading

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Paladin 56--

That paper penetration is right impressive.

No case set-back, eh? Another myth busted.

Right now, I'm up to my armpits in 25-20 brass, 650 pieces that need squaring and trimming. That 25-20 revolver idea is still rattling around in my head, with an under-performing S&W Model 617 in the gun safe. I'd hate to take tools to a nice original M-17, but this stainless critter with the underlug barrel annoys me with its steak & lobster ammo requirements. Cotillion Debutante rimfire ammo tastes don't play well in my gun safe.

I don't know how the M-617 would do since the bore would be the .224 and you are going from a rim fire to a center fire. I suppose one could bore and rifle the barrel to .257, but the frame issue to center fire may pose a problem.

Lap the bore, re-crown the barrel, and check the throats on the 617 if you haven't already done so before you give up on it.

As previously mentioned, I started with the K-38 Spl. and sleeved the barrel to .257" and had an M-17 22RF cylinder fitted and bored to 25-20. You would already have the cylinder, so it may be a wash unless its a 10 shot. My cylinder is a tad short since it was for the shorter .38 Spl. and 22 RF, but works OK. Had I thought about it at the time, I would have done what Drilling Man did and started with the M-19 and used an M-48 cylinder.

I do know you won't have any problems with the brass and loading if all is done properly and will be well pleased with the results. Any stretching, splitting or other problems can most likely be traced back to bad chambers or headspacing, improper reloading techniques, or in the case of Remington, bad brass.

Or, you could go with a .257 Magnum and start from scratch, which is what I was going to do, but decided on the 25-20 instead and haven't looked back.

David

Boolit Grand Master
    If I get to such a project, I'll let the 'smith decide on how to handle the barrel caliber issue. It is a 6-shot. No lapping tried (yet), and it will do OK with better ammunition (Mini-Mags). I would prefer that it find some make of affordable bulk ammo to dote upon, though.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I appologize for adding to the Hijack of the OP's thread ...... but I got to wondering:

What about a Dan Wesson centerfire small frame and a .22 cylinder. The last time I talked to CZ they had those cylinders for $90 bucks. Here is a new stainless barrel from CZ:

https://shop.cz-usa.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=20016

You could rebore this tube and have a convertible between the original cylinder and tube and the .25-20?

Three 44s