Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: I need help identifying a Bonehill SxS Shotgun.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

I need help identifying a Bonehill SxS Shotgun.

I picked up this gun. I mostly bought it because it was a good friend's gun. He had a major stroke and was selling off his collection to finance a new retirement home as he can't shoot or work the farm anymore. I also wanted something to remember him by.

I didn't realise until I picked it up that it has 32" bbls, which are a bit long, but it swings like a big wand.

It is nitro proofed and has 2 3/4" chambers. The serial number is 1416XX. It looks like a cheaper version as the engraving is only light and not that fancy.

Given the modern chambering and the fact that it still is a hammer gun, I'm thinking it would have been built in the 1920s or thereabouts, but I'm no expert (or I wouldn't be asking for help I suppose).

I never noticed it before until I put the photo on this post, but the shape of the wood behind the sideplate is unusual, nothing flash, but different.

"I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Try google ing Bonehill Shotgun. I found some okay information regarding the manufacturer. W/out gun in hand it would be to dificult for me to identify it further than what is common scense. Try some of these that Ive found.
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/961774134...er_shotgun.htm (CLOSE TO YOUR SERIAL #)

http://www.tahoeguns.com/
    (SEE #7)

Sorry I couldnt be of any further help. Good luck on this one. I think it will be a fun find.

That one is a bit older than mine I'm thnking, it has a five digit serial no and mine has six digtits, thanks anyway.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

4 Fingers---I bought a shotgun at an estate sell that was marked "W. Richards". Thought I had found the bargain of a lifetime. I couldn't find any info on it, so I wrote Westley Richards in England. Sent pictures. They came back with an ad for a hardware store back in the 1880's that would sell cheap Hungarian shotguns and stamp any name you wanted on it. They went on to say that from the responses they get W. Richards was very popular and that Westley Richards never stamped one W. Richards. The gun had damascuss twist barrels, engraving, carved horn butt plate ---but it was basically a counterfeit.

Quote Originally Posted by carpetman View Post
    4 Fingers---I bought a shotgun at an estate sell that was marked "W. Richards". Thought I had found the bargain of a lifetime. I couldn't find any info on it, so I wrote Westley Richards in England. Sent pictures. They came back with an ad for a hardware store back in the 1880's that would sell cheap Hungarian shotguns and stamp any name you wanted on it. They went on to say that from the responses they get W. Richards was very popular and that Westley Richards never stamped one W. Richards. The gun had damascuss twist barrels, engraving, carved horn butt plate ---but it was basically a counterfeit.

Bugger! Don't you just hate that!

Boolit Master
    Oops thought it was some thing entirely different.
    Talk about a bone head!!
    Bonehill never heard of 'em.
    Bet then chokes were made for card wads and she shoots extra full and full.

Barra

With the 2 3/4" chambers and being nitro proofed, it should shoot modern ammo with plastic wads, but I won't be stretching the friendship with hot loads. One barrel is marked fully choked. I have a guage somewhere.