Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Tuesday at the range 2-7-06

Super Moderator

Tuesday at the range 2-7-06

...............This was a bit different then our usual shoot. This time, at the suggestion of El Pistolero or Pistolero 451, or whatever he's calling himself these days, we shot at body silhuettes at 100 yards. Naturally we did it standing up with iron sights. He'd said 'Ball' ammo the Tuesday before, and the only thing I had on hand was a bunch of 30-'06. I'd loaded this up about 1995.

I'd ordered 500 Remington 165gr SP Core-Lokts and had them loaded over 56.5grs of surp WC852, in PMC brass for about 2550 fps. I had 3 clips and 2 loose rounds of that left.

The week before I'd ordered 2 batches of old milsurp ammo. 900 rnds of 1955 Yugo 8x57 on strippers and 840 rnds of Polish 7.62x54R. That had arrived so I dithered over what else to take and try out. One of the Turk 8mm's or one of the M91/30's? The Russians have those funky spongy triggers so I took a Turk M38/46.

To get sight settings I put up 2 bulls. Holding at 6 on the bottom, I adjusted the sights to hit in the white in between them. The silhuette targets cost 50 cents apiece so I didn't want to use one for sighters, being a bit short that day . Mistake number one.

When we got the silhuette targets I never paid any attention to how much higher in the target the scoring rings were. (Alibi and excuse time) I used the Garand to shoot in the match and had to make 2 elevation adjustments during the shoot. I made a rather bad showing only shooting a 58. One was a no score just off the right elbow (or what WOULD be the elbow).

Actually it was quite fun. Larry won shooting a real Win 1886 in 45-70 for a score of 65. Dave was shooting a 1903A3 with some of Leadhead's bullets over 12.0 grns of Unique. I asked him if hethough his boolits were going to make it all the way out there to 100 yards

I fired the 60 rnds of 8mm I'd brought along, mainly against the gong at 200 meters. Offhand I could manage 3-4 hits out of 5 shots fired. I think out of the 60 rnds, I had 2 that required a second strike. I don't know if it was just the ammo's age, hard primers or a weak mainspring. Maybe a combo. Kinda nice to just shuck the empties out and let'em lay there.

Larry had brought a nice Smith & Wesson #4 breaktop lemon squeezer in 38 S&W cartridge. He'd bought it recently at a gunshow. It was nickle plated with real mother of pearl grips. The grips were very old but in desent shape. I guess the pistol would rate an 80% on it's plating, however the barrel was nice and clean.

He invited me to shoot it. He'd been shooting it at 7 yards with one hand and all his shots were in a 4" circle in the upper left portion of the bullseye. This is a double action only with a shrouded hammer and it has one mother long trigger pull. Add in the microscopic sights and that 4" group moves out of the very good description to the miraculous. At least IMHO.

He was shooting factory ammo, and the recoil seemed noticeably much sharper then from my 2 Victory model Smiths. Proabably just because of the somewhat lighter pistol but I think mainly because of the narrow gripframe. He'd just paid about $700 for a Kahr as one of his CCW pistols, and I told him he could have saved all that money since the old (made in 1904) Smith lemon squeezer shoots so well

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Good to see the "Tuesday at the Range" report after a long absence. I am a bit concerned about the immoral practices invading the Southland. I gather that you were shooting evil red metal bullets. Be careful, the J word contains a T and that stands for trouble. Next, you'll report that you are using sights containing glass, or worse, electronic red dots!
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Grand Master
    I had to sit this one out, being otherwise occupied with some medical crapola--and feeling like crapola from same. My thoughts were to bring along the Mini-14 and let drive with some M-193 duplicators I had laying around, but I wasn't comfy leaving a rifle and ammo locked in the truck in the hospital parking lot. So--I took a pass this week.

The ersatz B-27 targets fired on this week are half-sized, so the firing simulated a 200 yard sequence. Considering our usual 50 yard distances, this was a more challenging exercise than first impressions might have led the guys to believe. I think a wrinkle to introduce within the next few weeks would be scoped rifles and cast boolits fired on these targets at 100 yards.

I was able to stop by for a few minutes--just as lunch was wrapping up and the firing was getting under way. I sure missed being able to shoot!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Al, man..., you need to move if you can't leave a rifle in the truck (let alone ahangin' in the back winder) in town without even locking it.... Sorry you were feelin' puny. Maybe what you need is a junk yard dog to take care of your truck while yer visitin' the sawbones. Kinda like Hooch, doncha know. Yea, I got a visual on that one!!! sundog

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Sundog, in California it is ILLEGAL to have a firearm visible in a rack in a pickup window. It is considered brandishing. Never mind that every LEO I know likes to see rifles openly displayed, because they then know the person they are stopping has nothing to hide. Everything is upside down there. Far as I know, all firearms in vehicles in CA must be in locked cases, with ammunition in a separate container.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    NV:

It was even worse several years ago: for a few months, the law said the firearms and ammunition had to be in separate VEHICLES!

floodgate

Super Moderator

................Now I remember one of the reasons I dislike FLGC slugs so much. Especially in used milsurps. My Turkish M38/46 actually has a very strong barrel but it's dark. It's a real good cast lead shooter, but after those 60 rounds of surplus jacketed ammo I think I used a half pint of Barnes copper solvent on 20 patches before I had them coming out white.

Cleaning for the corrosive ammo was no problem. I made up a half jar of tap water, a dab of dish detergent and then filled it up the rest the way with windshield washer fluid. Scrubbing 3 sloppy patches back and forth then out took care of it. Cleaned it Tuesday afternoon and a white patch though this afternoon just came out a bit gray. Oiled it and put it away.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Can't help but laugh at all the problems those poor folks in Calif. have with guns. Is that still one of our United States? Or is it part of some communist country now?

When I retired I moved back to my home state of Montana and eventually located in a small, rural community of about 400 souls. A neighbor asked if I could feed and take care of his horses for a week while he was out of town. While tending to his hayburners I noticed he'd left a brand new Sako with Black Diamond Burris on it laying on the seat of his pickup which was unlocked. I kept a closer eye on the property until he returned.

When he returned I asked if he'd forgotten to put his rifle up, and if he wasn't worried about someone making off with it. He told me everyone knew everyone else and knew what guns they shot so it'd be stupid for someone to steal a rifle 'cuz everyone would soon know about it. He was right. I still lock my guns up just 'cuz I don't want some kid wandering in and playing with them. But it's nice to not have to worry about crime. Here they claim the locals have a cure for gun thieves... it's called a cottonwood tree and it's decorated with a short piece of rope.

And Larry Whipped us both!!!

Well it was nice to do somthing different for once.
    Shooting silhouette was tougher than I thought.
    Big target easy shooting...........NOT!
    At 100 yards that target didn't seem so big and it sure moves around a lot!

It was worth not to be doing the same thing over and over, we are not musicians!

EL PISTOLERO