RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: My new Remington Single Shot

Boolit Master

My new Remington Single Shot

I finally managed to get my new Remington Single Shot yesterday. It is chambered for 7.62X39 and was manufactured in Russia. I am really impressed that a rifle of this quality could be made and sold for well under $300 dollars. The workmanship is crisp and sharp on the metal parts. The barrel is hammer forged and is 23 3/4 inches long. Twist appears to be somewhere between ten and ten and a half inches. My barrel slugged out at .312". Sights: The rear sight is adjustable for windage by loosening a clamping screw and moving the sight. Elevation is the front sight that is screw adjustable. The sights have a square notch rear and a flat top front similar to the match grade 45 that I used to shoot. The width of the front matches the notch very well and provides a clear, sharp sight picture. I learned to shoot with this type of open sight and much prefer it to the bead type. It is not drilled and tapped but instead is grooved for a scope mount. I haven't measured the grooves yet to see if it is compatible with common 22 type bases. Will do that tommorow. The wood is another matter entirely. The inletting is well done but stands proud of the reciever by 1/32" to 1/16". The fore-end is a triangular shape that is ugly but doesn't feel to bad in the hand. The wood appears to be of some straight grained walnut. Both butt and fore-end are cut checkered. The checkering is slightly fuzzy and I will go over it, probably with a riffler. The action is rather deep and that is because the same basic forging is also used for shotguns and a over/under, rifle/shotgun. The balance is just a trifle muzzle light and another inch of barrel would have improved this.
    This is a break action rifle that has a lever that appears somewhat similar to a Ruger #1. The difference is that you squeeze the lever upoward to open the breech. This also cocks the action. The lever does not return to the full down position until the rifle is fired and then it snaps down about a half inch. The gun may be uncocked by squeezing the lever, pull the trigger and slowly releasing the lever. I definetly would not do this with a loaded cartridge in the chamber. This line of firearms was designed to be reliable in the Siberian winters and the springs are a good indicator of this. The trigger spring must be six or eight pounds with the action not cocked. This should be easy enough to lighten.
    I have several molds that should be suitable. I recently bought a Lyman 311413 that drops ACWW slugs at .316. It should be just about ideal for this rifle.
    I certainly hope that this rifle shoots. If it does then it will recieve a new stock next winter. The cartridge may be pushing the envelope just a bit but this may be the new version of the venerable Rook Rifle.
    Bad news!!!!!!!!!! Remington has just dropped this line of firearms. Hopefully another importer will keep them on the market. Neil

The are made by Baikal. I have a EAA imported Baikal 20ga O/U and it's a great shooter. I was interested in getting one of these SPR18s in .308win, but could never find one.

Boolit Master
    I fired my new rifle yesterday. the range is finally drying out. the loads were 311314, acww, sized to .314 and klubed with Hornaday Alox. The loads were 5.3 grains of PB. These are light loads but the comb on the stock are so high that you really have to bear down on it to see the open sights. After ten rounds my cheekbone felt as if Ali had been working on it. This morning I mounted an NC-Star, four power scope on it with a set of Simmins rings that were meant for a one inch scope meant for 22 grooved mounts. Was a real bear to get sighted in but finally provided sub one inch groups at 25 yards. Sounds pretty ho-hum but wasn't too bad for a rifle that has one of the worst trigger pulls that I have ever encountered. The uncocked trigger pull must be eight or nine pounds I pulled the butt off and looked at it. It uses a simple flat spring and thinning it should be a simple matter. The resst of the trigger mechanism is out of sight and I don't know how much of a job it will be to reduce that looong pull. The firing pin has a flat nose and I intend to pull it out and round the nose. One thing that I like is that this rifle has an extractor rather than an ejector. I do believe that my last New England Arms rifle has left an indent in the middle of my forehead that says 22 Hornet. This rifle definetly has potential and stands head and shoulders above the several New England Arms Rifles that I have owned. Neil

Boolit Buddy
    I have the same rifle in 243 cal.
    My finding so far is trying to find a set of rings that won't move after about 10 shots.I also had a few no hits on the primer.I can tell you it is a easy or simple trigger sear set up to remove,the internal part need to be hit with some 600 wet and dry paper real ruff metal parts.I did play with the misfires now it fires each time on the trigger pull but my mistake was to rehit a few primers more then twice:I then tried to open the action and the firing pin broke.I did replace it and also ordered a new hammer the new hammer seems to be improved on compared to the old hammer.I now have a 3lbs smooth trigger pull and still playing around tryingto find a load it likes to shoot.The noslers 95 grain shot the best,I tried the 105 grain speer (no good) funny the rifle states a 1 in 9 1/4 twist I really don't think so.
    I also did cut the butt stock for a L.O.P. 13 1/2" not much movement with the 11MM rail for scope eye relief

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Baikal is the most imported arm here in Arequipa. I have handeled several NEW rifles shotguns and thay are nice. They were making /importing a GREAT singleshot action that came with a 308 barrel (spiral Octagon exterior) and a 12 guage. It was a super unit. Two guns with ONE liscense !
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Talking to a bloke at the range the other week.
    He has a .308 baikal.Aint seen it but wouldn't mind having a go at it.
    150 grainers go sub moa for the first 3 shots then tend to wander when the barrell heats up. Hammer forging I suppose.
    He tried working up a load with 168's and they shot like a shotgun in his anyway.
    Guess after 3 shot everythang has headed to the hills by then anyway

Barra