RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Vx iii

Boolit Man

Vx iii

I have a VXIII 2.5 x 8. I came off of a 300 win mag. I would like to put in on a Ruger 77/22. Do I need to change the parallax. If so how?

Boolit Master
    Just send it back to Leupold they can reset it to 60 yards which is what the rimfire series are set to.

Boolit Master

Try it without the change. Most of my 22's wear centerfire scopes and I can't tell the difference. May not need the change at all.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Not sure what you're worried about? Most hunting scopes are 150 yards or less. Adjust your eyepiece adjustment so you can see clearly.
    Parallax in the real world should not be an issue for 22rf range - unless you are shooting long range.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I use the same scope on several rifles, including 22 LR guns. They are great scopes, and you should try it before you change anything..

Boolit Man
    Thank you for the responses. I have had a weaver 4x one this rifle for about 30 years and had no real problems with casual shooting. I am considering getting involved with some competitive shooting at a new range and was thinking of improving my set up. I will switch scopes and check it out first. I was unsure if Leupold would change the parallax however is appears they will.

Boolit Master
    Leupold quit doing this work a couple of years ago. There are stickies on rimfirecentral.com on how to do it. I can tell you for a fact that you won’t have a problem shooting your scope without doing this. It’s so minute that unless you radically mover your head around on the stock and you’re shooting super small groups to begin with, you won’t see it. I’ve used a lot of centerfire scope on rimfires in competition and did very,very well with them just as they were.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dipper View Post
    I have a VXIII 2.5 x 8. I came off of a 300 win mag. I would like to put in on a Ruger 77/22. Do I need to change the parallax. If so how?
    The Leupold service center may or may not be currently providing their parallax service based on current workload status, but it is worth asking. The price was reasonable many years ago but won't be cheap these days - their service rates are up about 50% compared to ~3 years ago.

It is very easy to change parallax on Leupolds; there is a good thread on RFC and I have done it with nearly all of mine.

The mathematical formula for /maximum/ parallax error for your particular scope, yields the following:
    (based on the factory setting of 150 yds)
    0.59" @ 25 yds
    0.47" @ 50 yds
    0.35" @ 75 yds
    0.24" @ 100 yds
    0" @ 150 yds

Despite what some say, the max error is independent of magnification; this can be shown by examining the forumula.
    It is however dependent on the size of the objective lens.

If you were to set your parallax for say, 50 yds, the /maximum/ error would be the following:
    0.35" @ 25 yds
    0 @ 50 yds
    0.35" @ 75 yds
    0.71" @ 100 yds
    1.42" @ 150 yds

-----

As others have said, if you do a consistent job with centering the reticle and maintaining a consistent cheek weld, you can operate well under the max, minimizing the calculated errors above.