Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: SA XD-M Elite opinions?

SA XD-M Elite opinions?

Anyone have any experiences with one of these? Seriously considering one. Haven’t decided on caliber .. would be either 9 or 45 as I run both of those now. I'm not a 10mm fan. Thx

Boolit Master

The original XD drove me nuts because the trigger required release to the fully-forward position to reset. The XD-M fixed that with a more Glock-like reset that is ready to fire after releasing only to the second stage.

The Echelon would be Springfield's latest effort, which basically takes the Sig P320 concept of the firing module being the serialized "gun", and adds a Glock-style trigger tab safety.

The Croatians are making solid pistols for Springfield, but they aren't answering any questions for me that the simpler and easier-to-service Glocks aren't answering better. I prioritize on (#1) what works and (#2) what's easiest to keep working, and as such, it's gonna take a hell of a pistol to get me off the Gen 4.5 (42, 43, 43x, 48) and 5 9mm's. For .45 - there's a reason they're still making the 1911, as it was the Glock of its day. YMMV.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    The original XD drove me nuts because the trigger required release to the fully-forward position to reset. The XD-M fixed that with a more Glock-like reset that is ready to fire after releasing only to the second stage.

The Echelon would be Springfield's latest effort, which basically takes the Sig P320 concept of the firing module being the serialized "gun", and adds a Glock-style trigger tab safety.

The Croatians are making solid pistols for Springfield, but they aren't answering any questions for me that the simpler and easier-to-service Glocks aren't answering better. I prioritize on (#1) what works and (#2) what's easiest to keep working, and as such, it's gonna take a hell of a pistol to get me off the Gen 4.5 (42, 43, 43x, 48) and 5 9mm's. For .45 - there's a reason they're still making the 1911, as it was the Glock of its day. YMMV.
    I agree. I’m covered in Glocks and 1911s, I needed a dose of common sense to walk me back from the ledge.

Boolit Master

Yep. I fully admit that I'm getting old and cynical, but any more, the words "new" and "innovative" often mean "**** that I need to learn how to troubleshoot all over again".
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The XDM was a runaway success when it came out, people were buying them like mad here. Now it's an also ran, under $500 and still not selling well. I think Springfield will drop all of the XD's except maybe the original since it can still be sold in California and focus on the Hellcat from here on. The Echelon sells ok right now, but I don't see it staying long term. Costs more than a Glock and micro double stacks are what's hot now.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I have one in .45ACP. Nice pistol, no issues, but I’ll take my Smith M&P any day.

Edited to add:
    By the way, the first thing I did when I got it was take off the silly magwell funnel.
    Last edited by scattershot; 12-17-2023 at 11:42 PM.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    I have an XDM and an XDM 3.8 Compact. Both pistols have run with zero malfunctions with many different factory loads, handloads with SWC and flat nose bullets, very good triggers, more accurate than I can hold. Picked the XDM because of the grip safety, the Glock finger grooves did not work for me and the Glock safety on the trigger just did not seem like a safety, but no different than a DA revolver really. I like the XDM's but I only have 9's. I carry the XDM Compact a lot but if I am going some place that concerns me, my 1911 Para 14/45 goes(mostly bear country).

My old XDM40 has worked excellent for thousands of cast rounds, my carry at the ranch. Works fine for close range hogs.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

I have a couple of XD pistols in .45ACP. They run well and keep 14 on board. Not too shabby...

Boolit Master

I have an XD sub-compact 9 and an XDM 5.25 in 9 mm. Both run flawlessly and the XDM with target sights is quite accurate.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorite View Post
    Anyone have any experiences with one of these? Seriously considering one. Haven’t decided on caliber .. would be either 9 or 45 as I run both of those now. I'm not a 10mm fan. Thx
    I have the XDm in 10mm and love it. That is. Y woods walking pistol. Funny, I don't care for 9's anymore and prefer the 10 over 45's now. As for the XDm, I really like how it fits much hand. Good luck.
    Ron

Boolit Master

Have a 9 and 10 which I like both and an older xd45 which I am not that fond of. I would grab the 10 mm over the 45 anyday. More power and more capacity.

Moderator Emeritus

If ya do check out the 10mm, do yourself a favor and look at a Magnum Research 10. Bit more money but worth it in my opinion. Another 10 that I have and love to shoot. Bought it on an impulse from my LGS that was in his case.