RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broke recliner

Boolit Master

Broke recliner

What a bummer, my favorite recliner is broke.Hate to do it but it's time to drag it out the door.Now if I can get a young person to help me load it up and take it to dumpster, if they aren't do busy playing video games.

Boolit Master

My condolences in the passing of your friend! I understand the pain and the suffering in the search for his successor. GW.

Yep. I had to put a recliner down too. It was a sad day. That recliner and I went way back.
    Get it, - way back. Lol
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Moderator Emeritus

Maybe you can fix it?
    My Dad spent the better part of his last several years, sitting in a recliner. It was an expensive electric 'lift' chair. It would occasionally lose a screw or rivet. I fixed it several times...always an easy fix. My Dad passed in 2016. My Mom started using that same chair in 2020, and is still using it. It has needed fixing once so far since she has used it daily since 2020.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Depending on what's wrong with it, they're pretty easy to work on and fix.
    A lot of the parts for them are universal and on Amazon.

If it has to go- on some of them,
    the back has little latches and will lift off the base to make it easier to move on out and through doors.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 10-23-2023 at 12:31 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Bub
    I had an old recliner that was "broke in" and it was the most comfortable seat anywhere. Hated to get rid of it but it too met it demise with years of wear and tear.

Boolit Master
    Most recliners I repair use this latch system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ur1ioXuZuo

If the chair doesn't have a busted frame or seat spring and is sitting catiwomposis then it's most likely the mechanism which is pretty easy to fix. Same fella has some instruction videos on fixing them. Seat springs can be had off ebay. Most frames are made of OSB or plywood or some hardwood. It's a bit tedious to pull staples but can be done, cut and pare out the busted wood and glue, clamp and screw the repair in place. I do most repairs on site. My work bench is 2 sawhorses and 4'x4'x3/4" plywood wrapped in a tarp. Arrow PT50 stapler will drive staples into oak or ATV plastic seat bottoms.

Lift chairs are a different animal.

ALL RECLINER MECHANISMS NEED LUBRICATION. If you can't remember the last time it was lubed it's time to do it. Same goes for garage doors.

Boolit Master
    Put it in your front yard and put $25 on it. Someone will steal it tonight.

Boolit Bub
    If you put $ 75 on it it will be stolen before dark
    Just dont write FREE on it

Boolit Master
    The last one that died for me got disassembled right there in the living room and was carried out piece by piece.

Boolit Master
    In my experience, I've had three different recliners break. I repaired all three. One was a Lazy Boy which had a lifetime warranty. The part was supplied by a Lazy Boy dealer and I replaced it myself. A second recliner had one of the metal mechanism pieces break and I fixed it myself. The third recliner had part of the wood frame break. I removed enough of the upholstery to access the break and I fixed that one also. I'm not quick to give up on a comfortable recliner.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    Yep. I had to put a recliner down too. It was a sad day. That recliner and I went way back.
    Get it, - way back. Lol

Is it Bad Pun Friday already !

Only kidding ... it made me
    Thanks for the pun-post !

Jim 44-40 ...
    Check and see if it can be repaired ... it might have a few more miles left in it ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Well it's still in my living room.I did manage to drill out a rivet and replace it with a bolt and big washer.Man there are sure a lot of moving parts on these chairs.

Have an old one that still works. The footrest nauga started breaking down and it went to the basement. I'll give it a sit every few days while I'm down there. Still feels good.....

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

A few year ago my wife wanted a new couch we got a leather one name brand with each end having electric recliners . It still works great but the leather is peeling and she wanted to get rid of it I told her her uncomfortable flex steel love seats go first I can not sit in them without getting a sore back !
    Like you have learned the parts can normally be fixed the joint rivets are often what break and the right bolt and washers will replace them .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jim 44-40 View Post
    Well it's still in my living room.I did manage to drill out a rivet and replace it with a bolt and big washer.Man there are sure a lot of moving parts on these chairs.
    Close to a tube fed lever action. It doesn't have controlled round feed.

Boolit Master

When we were kids my eleven year brother and I were home alone and started wrestling to see who would sit in dad’s new recliner. We both sat on the fully extended leg rest and bent the scissor bar on one side. This left the leg rest crooked when retracted back.
    I doubt the chair was two weeks old, and dad really liked to sit there after dinner reading the paper. If discovered, that kind of damage would merit a severe application of corporal punishment.
    Using C-clamps and a leather mallet we got the leg rest within 3/8” of looking level when fully retracted. Mom didn’t notice the damage when she came home from grocery shopping, neither did dad that evening, which was really surprising. He was a meticulous craftsman who refused to buy a new car one time because the gap between a hood edge and top of the fender was 1/8” wider at one end than the other.
    That chair was in the living room for eighteen years, for the first year or so we lived in fear he would notice it. I figured out later that he only sat in that chair, never across the room from it where you could notice the out-of-level leg rest.

Boolit Master
    Here in the old folks village, if you have furniture delivered, the truck will take away your old junk.
    Costs $40 to go to the local dump, so we have a weekly bin,
    a sawz-all will reduce most furniture into surprisingly small pieces.

I had a recliner bought in 1996 I think, finally give up the ghost a few months ago. I had repaired it a number of times. The rocker spring units replaced, and springs under the seat replaced a couple of times. LazyBoy, and I had to reinforce some of the wood underneath with deck screws about five years ago or so. However, when broken springs started poking out of the fabric covering, that was it. Time to put it down.

Being a "waste not-want not" type, I methodically disassembled the thing. The rubberwood is good stuff, light and durable. Various steel parts, round and square shafts are made of a pretty good quality steel it seems. I always think in the back of my mind, would this make good gun parts steel or other project steel? Even some of the spring steel is salvaged. In the end, the components saved took up little space. The rest goes to county recycle center bins.

Replaced it with a new swivel recliner, which is far better for me now. I had been wishing for swivel capability the last 10 years or so because this recliner is at the computer desk. I'm not as limber as I was back when I bought the old one. Time will tell if I get 27 years out of this new one. It may outlast me (I hope).
    100,000 BC: stone tools. 4,000 BC: the wheel. 900 AD: gunpowder — bit of a game changer, that one

Peter Weyland, 2023

Nothing to worry about, because for once, I have the proper tool at hand. Looking for a little heat?.......Any questions?

Burt Gummer, Tremors 3

The spring frame on my nice 11 year old recliner broke some years ago. The steel frame just busted. I’m only 240 lbs. I repaired it twice but finally bid adieu to it last month. Still have the ottoman. I tore it down to get the steel to recycle. Moved the recliner’s seat cushion to my wife’s power recliner and am back in business. But seriously those darn recliners will kill you. About a year ago I got a part time job [3-4 days a week, 5-8 hours a day] in the produce department of a local Food Lion. I was sitting around in my recliner too much, not moving enough, feeling weak so I decided to go back to work after 11 years being retired. Doing 5000 to 8000 steps a shift. At first it was tough but now theres no problem. No plans to reretire.